Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Forcing Router DNS / Blocking Port 53 @ Clients

80sTiger
Tutor

Forcing Router DNS / Blocking Port 53 @ Clients

Having just upgraded to Orbi, trying to duplicate my configuration around forcing devices in my home to use the DNS defined manually in the router and not allowing individually connected clients to override with their own cited DNS servers. In my previous Netgear router/AP I went into SECURITY, then BLOCKED SERVICES and added a new rule to block PORT 53 for 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254 (assuming the router itself @ 192.168.0.1 needed to be open/available). This worked great on my previous Netgear router, but now it blocks all DNS on all attached clients even when they haven't defined any DNS statically. Did something change or am I missing something ? Thx.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @80sTiger

Which model number you're working on previously?

Can you post screenshots of the configurations?

Did you try resetting the unit?

Message 2 of 6
80sTiger
Tutor

Previous model was AC750/R6050 ... config screenshot below worked fine in previous router (DNS worked fine for 192.168.0.1 DHCP'd to clients, blocked any manual set DNS on clients), but now same config blocks all DNS at clients with new Orbi - nothing resolves. I have indeed rebooted.

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me check this with our engineers. 

Message 4 of 6
80sTiger
Tutor

Many thanks for checking. Just to be clear, on the previous Netgear router, when I had this service blocked (DNS) on this IP range (.2-.254), excluding only the router itself from the range (.1) and pointing all clients to the router (.1) for DNS resolution, everything worked/resolved just fine, and if a client tried to manually override their local DNS (which is the router at .1 issued via the router's DHCP), then nothing on the client would resolve correctly as the DNS traffic is blocked. Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly register your device so that we may log a case. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7