Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Forcing a device to 2.4 ghz

sethm1
Guide

Forcing a device to 2.4 ghz

I am not seeing this an option in the settings, so may not be possible - that is, have a number of devices that i am sure can handle 2.4 & 5 ghz, so can i assign 2.4 to a specific device or am I stuck with the router automatically choosing 5 ghz?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@sethm1 wrote:

I am not seeing this an option in the settings, so may not be possible - that is, have a number of devices that i am sure can handle 2.4 & 5 ghz, so can i assign 2.4 to a specific device or am I stuck with the router automatically choosing 5 ghz?

When devices connect to a WiFi access point, there is a dialog between the device and access point describing what capabilities each has.  The device then makes a connection request for the type of service it wants to establish.

Other products have an option to create separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4G and 5G WiFi bands.  Orbi does not.

A major point of mesh systems is that the network and the devices determine for themselves which connections are best and leave the user out of it.  This avoids the complexity of previous WiFi plus bunch of random "extenders" where the user has to be alert to how each device is connected and manually change the connection if needed.  If every WiFi device is fixed in place and never moves, the older system works fine.  Once smartphone, tablets, laptops enter the mix, a mesh becomes much more "User Friendly."

Anyway, the answer is (a) no, and (b) it is the device (not the router) that determines the connection.

Message 2 of 18
sethm1
Guide

Thanks crimpon for the explanation.  I came from the R7000 nighthawk and there yes had 2 ssid's. Makes sense now.

Message 3 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

If it has the feature, You can disable the 5G network on the device and force it to connect 2.4G only. I have a Windows 10 laptop that has issues with 5G. I went into device manager and disabled 5G by changing a few settings.

Message 4 of 18
rayr6900
Aspirant

How can I determine if my router (RBR50) is broadcasting btoh 2.4G and 5G simultanously? My smartphone and laptop can only locate the 2.4G network. I added both networks to both devices and only the 2.4G net can be located. I am a novice network user. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Message 5 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

@rayr6900 wrote:

How can I determine if my router (RBR50) is broadcasting btoh 2.4G and 5G simultanously? My smartphone and laptop can only locate the 2.4G network. I added both networks to both devices and only the 2.4G net can be located. I am a novice network user. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Login either using the app or orbilogin.com. Check your settings. Grab a known supported 5Ghz device. You should see the one SSID for your Orbi. Connect and if the device supports 5Ghz it will connect 5Ghz.

The other possible reason may be you need to forget the network on your smartphone and laptop, then re-login to the WiFi again and see if that corrects the connection.

Message 6 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@rayr6900 wrote:

I thought we had established that Orbi broadcasts only one SSID.  I am confused by "added both networks".

There are tools that will report exactly which channels are being broadcast by the Orbi.

For Android, I use one of the "WiFi Analyzer" apps.  It will show by MAC address every radio that is broadcasting every SSID that the app can pick up.  In the case of the Orbi, there will be one radio at 2.4G and one radio at 5G for the Orbi router and for every satellite.  So, for one router and one satellite, there will be a total of four radios broadcasting the Orbi SSID.

For Windows, my favorite is WifiInfoView (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html )

Message 7 of 18
amandaparrish
Aspirant

This link may actually help you do what you're trying to do: https://www.tech21century.com/separate-ssid-for-2-4-and-5-ghz-on-orbi/ 

I have recently been trying to reassign my own devices to the 2.4GHz channel as well, as the current COVID-19 work from home conditions have me cramming my desk with 2 monitors and 3 different computers into a small available corner in my bedroom. All of these devices automatically chose the 5GHz channel, however there is a lot of interference in my current desk location on that channel.  So much so that the internet drops constantly (but only in this one location; it is strong and consistent everywhere else).  I'm in Texas so running an ethernet through the attic and walls is a deplorable thought at this time of year, so the next best thing is to change the channel that these devices are on, since the signal strength is not good in this one spot at all. 

Sharing in case this helps anyone else!

Message 8 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

There is no official way to force the Orbi to connect your device to 2.4Ghz. You you could go into the devices' settings and disable the 5Ghz band, if possible.

You mention weak 5Ghz signal. That is usually distance based between device and router or satellite. Is there a way to move a satellite closer to your work area? You could also run a program like Netspot and see how strong your signal is and how much traffic is on your WIFI channel and change to another channel.

Message 9 of 18
amandaparrish
Aspirant

Your suggestions are absolutely correct.  I've used NetSpot and WiFi Analyzer to see what's going on, and while the 2.4GHz channel broadcasts clearly all the way to my desk, the 5GHz shows incredibly weak, and sometimes completely interrupted.  

Now, I've put my desk in the only available place to be able to complete my work without interruptions throughout the day.  However, here are the things that I have that are interfering with the signal: 
1) Previous owners used a lot of plaster on the walls to faux paint everything, it seems.  The material they used is similar to concrete (stucco). 
2) There is an old Dish satellite mounted on the roof directly above my desk. (Hubs says he will remove it)
3) The breaker box, incoming cable box, gas meter and everything are literally on the other side of the wall from my desk.
4) The brand bew neighbors just got WiFi that is on different channels than ours, but has the same signal strength as my Orbi mesh network does at my desk, if not stronger.

I realize I should just move my desk, but that's not an option at this time. So sadly, I will have to follow the link I pasted above to force these 3 of my devices onto the 2.4GHz channel for now.... until the Fall comes and it's bearable in the attic.  

(Can COVID be over already? Wishful thinking...)

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 11 of 18
sethm1
Guide

Thx all for the suggestions. 

Message 12 of 18
sethm1
Guide

Thx. Though the conclusion seems that a new firmware reverts everything back. Luckily its not like the Orbi's get monthly updates.  Am wondering though if i get a 3.1 Arris Surfboard that its "highway" capabilities might be beneficial over my current 3.0 docis modem.

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can mack a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Then try to reload this file after a FW update, though udpates shouldn't change any user configurations. 

Message 14 of 18
sethm1
Guide

im assuming its the 5ghz that im lowering to 50%.

will this affect speed of my 5 ghz devices? 

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@sethm1 wrote:

Very good chance that it will.

In message 4 of this thread, @Mstrbig mentioned using a Windows 10 setting to restrict a laptop to only 2.4G connection.  My Windows 10 laptop Device Manager->Network Adapter, on the Advanced tab has options under "Preferred Band" for 2.4G and 5G.  Do your laptops have similar settings?

Also, if "desperate times call for desperate measures", how hard would it be to string a temporary ethernet cable outside (rather than in the attic) until the weather cools off?

Message 16 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

@sethm1 wrote:

Lowering the wifi signal has an effect on the entire 5Ghz WIFI channel. I never suggest this unless you are experiencing too much overlapping because your satellites are too close. Before I did that I would add a satellite to your RBR50 system and place it closer to your work area. There are some inexpensive satelites available. If you cannot find a decent priced used satellite, right now Netgear has the RBS40V-200 Orbi Voice satellite on sale for $99.99. I can vouch it has great coverage and the addition of the speaker and Alexa is a plus. 

Or you could disable 5Ghz on your PC or laptop.

Message 17 of 18
sethm1
Guide

Thx

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements