Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Forcing devices to always connect to a specific satellite / router

ottoparts
Follower

Forcing devices to always connect to a specific satellite / router

Hello all,

I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this but I have two wireless devices that I want to always connect to the RBR50 router and one wireless device I want to always connect to one specific satellite. I have the MAC addresses of all these devices, is there a way to do this that anyone can suggest or has successfully tested?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
GriMmiE
Aspirant

Re: Forcing devices to always connect to a specific satellite / router

I'm also looking for this answer.

I have a RBK53 and i bought another additional Satelitte.

1 Router
3 Satelittes

QUESTION
1. Any way to Force link Certain Satelittes to link to another. My Problem. Say my satelittes are based on distance.
Router - 1 - 2 - 3 (1 - closest, 3 furthest from router. I want satelitte(3) to link to satelitte(2) but instead it links to (1) or router making my signal poor. anyway to fix this?

2. Any way to force a device to lock on or connect to a specific satelitte or the closest one with strongest signal. Although i have a satelitte just few feet from me. its connected to one that is 20feet away.

Thanks. Appreciate any help that i can get.
Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

You cannot force devices to lock to a specific access point.  The client devices roam based on the signals they see available.  Client devices won't roam to another access point, if the signals is strong enough from the current access point, nor should they need to roam.

If your Orbi units are so close together that the signals overlap too much, then reducing transmit power, especially on the 2.4 GHz band, should help with roaming.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between routetr and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7