Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frequent network drop on Orbi RBK50

surajdev
Guide

Frequent network drop on Orbi RBK50

Hi 

I recently purchased an Orbi router + satellite - the RBK 50 - 100INS Home Wi fi System. 

Setup and installation was a breeze - probably the only thing enjoyable of the product!

We are experiencing network drops on all our devices - Windows laptops, iOs iphone and ipads, Smart TVs, etc. The network will work fine for 10 minutes or so and immediately drop ! This issue has persisted for the past 7 days. I have tried factory reset and the issue still lingers.

Both the router and the satellite are in the latest firmware. 

Please provide a solution to my problem. I googled this issue and was appalled to see that so many people have the same issue as well. Hope Netgear is working with a permanent solution. 

We do not have any devices connected via ethernet cable - all devices are connected using Wi fi only. 

Please help!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
tucsontico
Virtuoso

First and most important thing is to be certain you are running the most recent firmware on both the router and the satellite. Also, after a firmware update, do a factory reset of both the router and satellite and reconfigure your system manually–DO NOT USE ANY BACKUP CONFIG FILES  TO RECONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM. Due to Netgear's sometimes massive changes inside the firmware update, using "old" config files to reconfigure your system can cause unexpected results. This procedure is a PITA but seems to work for some people. 

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using?

Any wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

@surajdev wrote:

Hi 

I recently purchased an Orbi router + satellite - the RBK 50 - 100INS Home Wi fi System. 

Setup and installation was a breeze - probably the only thing enjoyable of the product!

We are experiencing network drops on all our devices - Windows laptops, iOs iphone and ipads, Smart TVs, etc. The network will work fine for 10 minutes or so and immediately drop ! This issue has persisted for the past 7 days. I have tried factory reset and the issue still lingers.

Both the router and the satellite are in the latest firmware. 

Please provide a solution to my problem. I googled this issue and was appalled to see that so many people have the same issue as well. Hope Netgear is working with a permanent solution. 

We do not have any devices connected via ethernet cable - all devices are connected using Wi fi only. 

Please help!

Message 3 of 18
surajdev
Guide

I am using both channels - 2.4 and 5Ghz. There are some Wifi neighbours around - 3 to 4 on the road that I live in, but that shouldnt be a problem, as my previous setup worked smoothly. The distance between my router to my satellite is approximately 25 - 30 feet

Message 4 of 18
surajdev
Guide

Thanks, will try it out. But yes at the time of posting, both the router and the satellite were in the same firmware version - the latest - 2.1.4.10 

Will try a factory reset now and give you an update! 

Hope this works, my patience is wearing out!

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto or 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and ## on 5Ghz? Try 48.

2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are frequencies, not channels.

Let us know how it goes after the factory reset and set up from scratch.

Message 6 of 18
surajdev
Guide

Oops sorry! so i should chose which channel on 2.4Ghz? Auto or 1,6,11?

Message 7 of 18
PaulK617
Star

I am having same problems with connection dropping. Before the v214.10 was released, I set my 2.4 bandwidth to channel 1, and 5.0 bandwidth to channel 48. That worked! Then after v2.1.4.10 was realeased I did a factory reset but it also reset my channels back to AUTO for both bandwidths. I thought it should be ok now with new firmware. But not. Now I’m experiencing same problems with dropped connections. I will change it back to channel 1 and 48 later today. Hope that will work. Will update later.
Message 8 of 18
surajdev
Guide

at the moment i switched to channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and channel 48 on 5Ghz. All working fine, since half an hour. Will update in 24 hours!

Message 9 of 18
PaulK617
Star

You will have to try each channel out to see which is more stable. Channel 1, 6, and 11 are non overlapping channels. Depending on the interference in your area, certain channels will be more reliable. I would set it and monitor for 24 hours to see.
Message 10 of 18
surajdev
Guide

So is channels the only reason for frequent network downing? and not the firmware versions as stated by everyone else???

Message 11 of 18
PaulK617
Star

Also, power cycle both the modem and router to complete the process.
Message 12 of 18
PaulK617
Star

There are many factors. I believe the firmware has the highest variable. Then there are setting that you could enable/disable as well as channels interferences. As customers we just want it to work reliably. Now everyone has a high level of networking aptitude. Network should work on making orbi login dummy proof. No offense to anyone but most people have basic networking IQ.
Message 13 of 18
surajdev
Guide

Haha agreed 🙂 

Yes, have powercycled both the router and the satellite. 12 hours in, not faced any problem as yet. 

Also forgot to mention that I moved the satellite to within 10 feet of the router. Not sure if i should move it back to its original place of 30 feet away... 

Will update in another 12 hours

Message 14 of 18
TomMac
Guru

Channel made a diif for me too...good to hear it's working , tho IMO, 10 feet is kind of close ( unless signal is going thru a steel mesh wall )... 30 feet where you last had it placed is prob better  ( as long as you getting a good backhaul signal listing from the main unt )

Message 15 of 18
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Channels can make all the difference in a crowded signal environment. Here's a great article regarding how WiFi handles traffic on similar channels:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Good Luck!

Message 16 of 18
PaulK617
Star

It’s been over 48 hours since I’ve change my channels from Auto to 1. So far no drop connection. Knock on wood...
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use channels 6 or 11 if there not being used by any neighboring wifi as well...

@PaulK617 wrote:
It’s been over 48 hours since I’ve change my channels from Auto to 1. So far no drop connection. Knock on wood...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7