Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frontier FiOS compatible?

David805
Aspirant

Frontier FiOS compatible?

I am looking at the Model  RBK53S-100NAS system (from Costco). I already have a Frontier (Verizon) modem/router. Will this system work with it? How is it connected so as not to interfere with the current router's Wi-Fi? Customer Service was not very helpful (and took way too long to answer the phone). 

I am also concerned with all the poor reviews posted by Costco customers.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Frontier FiOS compatible?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@David805 wrote:

I am looking at the Model  RBK53S-100NAS system (from Costco). I already have a Frontier (Verizon) modem/router. Will this system work with it? How is it connected so as not to interfere with the current router's Wi-Fi? Customer Service was not very helpful (and took way too long to answer the phone). 

I am also concerned with all the poor reviews posted by Costco customers.

Message 2 of 5

@David805 wrote:

I am looking at the Model  RBK53S-100NAS system (from Costco). I already have a Frontier (Verizon) modem/router. Will this system work with it? How is it connected so as not to interfere with the current router's Wi-Fi?

A lot of people use Orbi devices in wireless access point mode. It does disable some features, but not as many as you lose with a traditional router.

You can turn off the wifi on the Frontier box, if that is possible, but I have not noticed much in the way of interference when I leave my router's wifi on.

Message 3 of 5
David805
Aspirant

A little too complicated for my old body. I will just wait until I switch over to Spectrum. I am just waiting for them to release a "whole house" DVR.

Message 4 of 5
David805
Aspirant

Thanks. Will get Orbi when I switch to Spectrum.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7