Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frustrated w/ Orbi and tech support

Windowlicker
Initiate

Frustrated w/ Orbi and tech support

Really, really want to like the Orbi.

I have an RBK50, one sat. Connected to my Spectrum Arris TG1672G (they provide it, need it for the phone). 

History: had Bright House, bought over by Spectrum, same Arris gateway that just doesn’t cut it to get across my 3500 sq.ft. home. Bought a Netgear extender . . . brilliant AC1700, pushed signal to where I needed it. Speeds were ok (I pay for 100/10, routinely get 115/12 LAN, 50-60/10 WAN). Given the success of the extender from Netgear, and that I wanted speed and more range, I bought an Orbi.

Connected 12/1 . . . problems started. 2 weeks of every other day with tech support. When it works, it’s brilliant. Fast, ridiculous range.

When it doesn’t . . . well, it doesn’t. On an iPad Air and iPad mini will be stable for a few hours then slam, internet issues. Game lag out, you tube videos stop playing, pages won’t load. Reset and same thing after time. Latest drivers now have my Roku disconnecting. On the wired side, no issues at all.

Running the latest 2.1.1.16 drivers . . . no luck. Hard resets, checked and unchecked a dozen options, nope. Gateway was in bridge mode, WiFi turned off, no firewall. Had to turn the router portion back on and had no internet issues.

Whats driving the stake in it for me is now, after unplugging the satellite, and still having issues with the router, they want me to RMA the router. . . and even though it is under warranty and not even 30 days installed . . . I HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIPPING!

I think it’s a problem with my gateway not communicating with the router right, but the techs know best . . . 

Thinking of just returning it. Sad, I just want it to work.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Hawk600
Star

You are not alone, browsing the Orbi forum easily shows a very large number of unsatisfied users with bot NG firmware, policy and support, too bad because it seems to be a nice product hardware wise.

Message 2 of 5
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Return it while you can. Nothing but pain and suffering if you stick with it.
Message 3 of 5
Windowlicker
Initiate

Long story short . . . I'm not willing to pay the money to ship back a router. It's under their warranty, they made hundereds off of each unit, pretty sure they should send us a sticker.

Very dissappointed. Looking at the forums, there are dozens and dozens of new posts with peopel having problems.

So, I returned it. Only have a certain window to do so. I like Netgear, I am back to using my crappy Arris Gateway and awesome Netgear extender . . . . but I can't and won't recommend the Orbi to anyone at this time.

Maybe I'll try again in a while when the $400 sticker gets cut in half.

Message 4 of 5
Greystorm64
Apprentice

I will soon be copying your actions!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements