Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frustrated

Lammy139
Guide

Frustrated

Just bought this system as I had several dead spots in my home. I heard some great things, but my experience so far is less than impressive. All set up on 3rd attempt, didn’t do anything different on each occasion. I now have router connected and 2 satellites. I find the network when searching for a WiFi network with strong signal, connect ok, but when I try to get on the internet I get spinning wheel and then an error telling me I have no connection
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded? Was the FW updated after you installed the system that you know of? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I missed the answer about the modem....

Message 4 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

I’m in UK and have a modem supplied by my provider Virgin Media
Message 5 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Wow lots of questions and as an amateur I have no idea what most of them mean 😂.
Yes firmware was updated during install.
When I can connect I get great speeds (213 down / 21 up) but very intermittent. Will try some of the other things you mentioned in advanced settings when I can connect again
Message 6 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Modem supplied by internet provider Virgin Media
Message 7 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Lammy139 wrote:
I’m in UK and have a modem supplied by my provider Virgin Media

just looking at their website, you may have a combo router/modem.  IF so, you need to configure either the Virgin Media hub or the Orbi router as a Access Point.  

Message 8 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Ok so this is why it’s frustrating as it now connects and works with great speeds
Message 9 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

See photos
Message 10 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

so your app is working.

how's your actual internet connection from various devices?

Message 11 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Yes that’s why it’s so frustrating, one minute it works and then it drops out and I have to connect to my normal WiFi if in range.
Message 12 of 25
ekhalil
Master

Can you please state the make and model of the ISP modem/Router from Virgin Media.

Intermittent issues like what you're seeing can be caused by double routers in your network.

If you don't know enough information about the ISP modem/router then you can make the following test to check for double routers:

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

> tracert 8.8.8.8 (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

and paste the results here.

Message 13 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Ok my Mac is connected by cable to my isp router will this still work or do I need to connect to the orbi router? And how do I open a command prompt on a Mac ? As you can tell I’m a tech imbecile 😂 purchased this as I was told it was plug and play idiot proof
Message 14 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  1.868 ms  2.994 ms  1.660 ms

2  * * *

3  oxfd-core-2a-xe-133-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.129.17)  10.956 ms  13.546 ms  10.098 ms

4  * * *

5  eislou2-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (94.174.238.226)  18.143 ms  24.748 ms  17.855 ms

6  m426-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net (213.104.85.170)  21.228 ms  19.692 ms  20.122 ms

7  * * *

8  dns.google (8.8.8.8)  25.077 ms  16.659 ms  19.065 ms

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Lammy139 wrote:
Wow lots of questions and as an amateur I have no idea what most of them mean 😂.
Yes firmware was updated during install.
When I can connect I get great speeds (213 down / 21 up) but very intermittent. Will try some of the other things you mentioned in advanced settings when I can connect again

Message 16 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

OK so im now in the settings of my ISP router (Virgin media Super Hub 3.0) i have 2 options to set as Modem Mode or Router Mode..... currently set as router.

will changing this have any impact?

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Set to modem mode. After you apply the setting, connect the LAN cable from the modem to the Yellow LAN port on the back of the RBR, then your PC re-connected to the LAN ports on the back of the RBR. Probably LAN port #1 of the ISP Modem maybe the outlet when in modem mode so connect the lan cable here first from the RBR. You may need to power cycle the ISP modem and Orbi. 

Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and it will help you get the Orbi connected. 

Message 18 of 25
ekhalil
Master

@Lammy139 wrote:

OK so im now in the settings of my ISP router (Virgin media Super Hub 3.0) i have 2 options to set as Modem Mode or Router Mode..... currently set as router.

Just set it to Modem Mode and reboot both the ISP modem and Orbi. This should not have impact on your current setting if you already have Orbi in Router Mode.

Good luck.

Message 19 of 25

@ekhalil wrote:

@Lammy139 wrote:

Just set it to Modem Mode and reboot both the ISP modem and Orbi. This should not have impact on your current setting if you already have Orbi in Router Mode.

Good luck.

Yup. That's the first thing to do.

Pity it took so long for the details of the modem to reach here.

I step in only to add that it isn't just a case of rebooting the modem and the Orbi. You have to do this in the right order:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

In your shoes I would also reset the Orbi so that it forgets any bad habits it might have picked up when the modem was in modem/router mode. @ekhalil is right, it shouldn't matter, but if you haven't done a lot of tweaking it always helps to start afresh.

Might be worth trying it first, but if you do have any problems, do a reset.

Message 20 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Thanks all, day at home tomorrow so going to have a play. One issue I foresee is that there is only one Ethernet port on the orbi router when ideally I want to connect 3 items by cable. Do I need to by a switch as well, and if so any suggestions?
Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have more than one LAN device that you want to connect to the back of the Orbi, you can always add more ports by checking out NGs GS105/108 series Gb switches. Then you can connecte more stuff a switch as needed. 

@Lammy139 wrote:
Thanks all, day at home tomorrow so going to have a play. One issue I foresee is that there is only one Ethernet port on the orbi router when ideally I want to connect 3 items by cable. Do I need to by a switch as well, and if so any suggestions?

Message 22 of 25
Lammy139
Guide

Ok, update...... had a day at home today so tackled the challenge.

changed isp router to modem mode, then had to do a factory reset on the Orbi as it would not reconnect.

reset isp router / modem 3 times before it would start in modem mode, but eventually got there. Now have pretty much everything up and running with exception of my printer as I need to get a switch now.

just waiting for family to get home to test full range of WiFi 

Thanks all for help and comments, I’m learning slowly 👍

Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad you got it working. 

Once you get towards full completion of setting up the system, be sure to do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Message 24 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Lammy139 wrote:

Ok, update...... had a day at home today so tackled the challenge.

changed isp router to modem mode, then had to do a factory reset on the Orbi as it would not reconnect.

reset isp router / modem 3 times before it would start in modem mode, but eventually got there. Now have pretty much everything up and running with exception of my printer as I need to get a switch now.

just waiting for family to get home to test full range of WiFi 

Thanks all for help and comments, I’m learning slowly 👍

Nice....it sounds like you could use a little 'simplification' in your network.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7