Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frustrating disconnections between router and satellites (RBR50 / RBS50)

scdigital
Aspirant

Frustrating disconnections between router and satellites (RBR50 / RBS50)

To start with, this is the most frustrating product i have ever owned!  When it works its fantastic... but when it doesnt, it seems to be complete luck if i manage to get it working again.

The router and satellites tend to work perfectly for a month or two before i get any issue, then all of a sudden i'm only able to connect to the internet via the SBR50 router.

Connection/setup:

• The RBR50 is in access point mode
  • My Internet Router is connected directly to the RBR50 via ethernet
  • Each of the RBS50 Satellites are connected directly to the RBR50 router via ethernet (no daisy chain) - ethernet backhaul
  • All three devices are running firmware version 2.7.3.22

Frustrating Issues:

1. When i connect to the web interface of the RBR50, even when i am experiencing the issues mentioned, it shows the two satellites connected and backhaul status is "good"
  2. When i view the Orbi mobile app (via my mobile connected to wireless via the SBR50 router) the network map shows the router is connected but no Satellites

I have tried all variations of reboots:

• Leave the two satellites powered on and reboot the router
  • Power off all devices and bring back online in a sequence (router, satellite 1, satellite 2)
  • Power off all devices, bring all back online, press the sync button on router, followed by the sync button on the two satellites
  • etc, etc.

Sometimes, after one of the above mentioned reboot sequences, the satellites will work for 5 minutes and then fail again.

Sometimes, after sometime, the Orbi network begins working again and this could be an hour or two after a reboot has been completed.  Leaving me with no clue as to what corrected the problem.

Any advice from anyone on this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Frustrating disconnections between router and satellites (RBR50 / RBS50)

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 
Is the WiFi radios fully disabled on the ISP router?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 6
scdigital
Aspirant

I'm in the UK and my ISP is TalkTalk.   I am using their router (TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub) which is a manufactured by Huawei.  I have disabled wireless completely on this router.

My home is around 1700 sq ft and there is around 30 feet between each of the devices (router and satellites).  I've had no issues with other wireless routers/AP setup - i switched from a Draytek Vigor with 2 x Draytek APs to the Orbi and this worked ok. 

I have tried changing the wireless channels as you recommended but still struggling to get the satellites connected at this stage.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For 1700 sq ft, having the RBR and 2 additional RBS, maybe flooding and over saturating the area with too much wifi.

I would turn OFF both RBS. Take one to same room as the RBR and press the sync button on the RBS then RBR. Wait 5 minutes. Top ring should turn ON blue. IF this fails, try pressing the reset button the RBS for 15 seconds then release. Once the top ring starts pulsating WHITE, press the sync button on the RBS then RBR. See if top ring turns BLUE. 

Message 4 of 6
scdigital
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  Late last night after multiple reboots and sync's between the router and satellites it began working again and has been stable since then.  I still have no idea what resolved the issue and this seems to be the same each time this issue occurs.  My guess would be that the system will be stable again for around 6 weeks and i will experience the problem again and it will take another several hours of restarts/syncs before it starts to work again.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

See what happens with just using 1 RBS and not two. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7