Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Further Reduce the Transmit Power in Orbi

Alago
Aspirant

Further Reduce the Transmit Power in Orbi

Model= RBK40-100UKS 

Firmware Version 2.2.1.210

I just bought the RBK40, and even though I changed the Transmit Power to 25%, I still found the signal is too strong and cause me headache (My room is just 20 sq.m. and the router is 3 m away).

Thus I was looking for a way to further reduce the transmit power. Found this article:

https://medium.com/openwrt-iot/lede-openwrt-changing-transmission-power-c2d4f2a3cda7

With some trials, telnet'ed into the router, and successfully added the parameters:

option 'txpower'    '17'

to the file :

/etc/config/wireless

I could save the file (saved and re-opened the file to confirm the changes). The problem is after the reboot, the parameters are gone. Probably the file was replaced at the router startup.

Need some advice how can I reduce the transmit power?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I have the RBR50, so I am not 100% certain that this applies to the RBR40.

Using the web client, "Advanced Setup-->Wireless Settings has settings for Transmit Power Control.

Message 2 of 12
Alago
Aspirant

The Transmit Power Control setting can only go down to 25% that is already my selection. But the power is still too strong and cause me headache. I need to find a way to reduce further.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct.  I didn't pull down the menu.

It might be helpful to give more explanation of "headache".  I have RBK50 (which I believe has greater maximum power than the RBR40) with both the router and satellite set to 100%.  We routinely use mobile phones & tablets (both Apple & Android), laptop, and printer within 10 ft. of the Orbi with no isues. (Often within 5 ft.) Our Nest thermostat is literally 3 ft. away from the Satellite and security hub is in the same room as the router.  None of my devices seem to be bothered by being close to the Orbi's.

Message 4 of 12
Alago
Aspirant

I mean I got headache in my head. I can feel the "signal pressure" when I turn on the router or off.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  That is not good at all.  Does this happen with other brands of routers?

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to go with a different wifi system if your actually feeling wifi effects. The Orbi is a high power system. 

Be sure that your not continually seated near the router base or satellite for long periods of time. Try to place the base router and satellite far from locations where you seated for long periods of time. 

Message 7 of 12
DickDuke
Apprentice

While I’ve never heard of any research linking Wi-Fi signal strength to headaches, there are a couple of simple options available to you. The simplest and most effective would be to disable WiFi completely and use only hardwire connections. This would obviously create problems for certain Wi-Fi only devices, like tablets,

The other option to reduce signal strength would be to put physical barriers between yourself and the router. Place the router in a closet, another room, or even put it in a cupboard or drawer. You may need to experiment to find a spot that provides a sufficiently strong signal to be useful, and also alleviates you symptoms 

Message 8 of 12
ekhalil
Master

You can use telnet to change the transmit power of the different links. You can go as low as 1 mW, the maximum is 1 W:

1. Print the existing power of the link (here is a command for ath2 which is for the 5GHz Backhaul):

root@RBR50:~# iwlist ath2 txpower

ath2 8 available transmit-powers :
0 dBm (1 mW)
6 dBm (3 mW)
10 dBm (10 mW)
14 dBm (25 mW)
18 dBm (63 mW)
22 dBm (158 mW)
26 dBm (398 mW)
30 dBm (1000 mW)
Current Tx-Power:30 dBm (1000 mW)

2. Change the power using the following command:
root@RBR50:~# iwconfig ath2 txpower 3mW

Here is a list of the interfaces in RBR50:

ath0 (Fronthaul 2.4GHz)

ath01 (Backhaul 2.4GHz)

ath02 (Backhaul-ADD 2.4GHz)

ath1 (Fronthaul 5GHz)

ath2 (Backhaul 5GHz)

ath11 (Backhaul-ADD5GHz)

Message 9 of 12
oscar_wilde
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

You can use telnet to change the transmit power of the different links. You can go as low as 1 mW, the maximum is 1 W:

The telnet commands work great, but is there any way to make them survive a reboot?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@oscar_wilde wrote:

The telnet commands work great, but is there any way to make them survive a reboot?

Please use the following to save the changes:

root@RBR50:~# iwconfig xxxxx commit

where xxxxx is the interface name (ath0, ath1, .....)

Message 11 of 12
aaronhritz
Initiate

root@RBR50:/# iwconfig ath2 commit
Error for wireless request "Commit changes" (8B00) :
SET failed on device ath2 ; Operation not supported.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7