Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

General DNS / Name Server Question

DJQuad
Aspirant

General DNS / Name Server Question

Hey all, Comcast's DNS is extremely slow to update when a new subdomain is added. I know it can take usually 1-2 hours for changes to propogate throughout the various name servers, but Comcast can take up to 12.

Do other DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 actually propagate faster or are they more for speed?

And if I add these custom nameservers in Orbi do I also have to specify them on my various PCs and devices?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: General DNS / Name Server Question

I have found the Google DNS servers propogate faster than Spectrum. Normally when you set DNS in your computer you override the router dns for that device. When you manually set the dns in your router (or your ISP default), you override all the dns settings in the attached computers.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: General DNS / Name Server Question

You can use Cloudfare and QaudNine DNS as well. Working well with my system. 

@DJQuad wrote:

Hey all, Comcast's DNS is extremely slow to update when a new subdomain is added. I know it can take usually 1-2 hours for changes to propogate throughout the various name servers, but Comcast can take up to 12.

Do other DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 actually propagate faster or are they more for speed?

And if I add these custom nameservers in Orbi do I also have to specify them on my various PCs and devices?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7