Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Geting 500 Internal Server Error from Access Control

HHassell
Follower

Geting 500 Internal Server Error from Access Control

Can't access internet from one Lap top. When I go to Access Control to see if it's blocked I get "500 Internal Server Error"

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11, Firefox or Opera. 

Besure to clear all browser caches. 

Reboot the RBR. 

What FW version are you using? 

Try a different PC or laptop. 

Message 2 of 44
relberfeld
Apprentice

this is total BS.  Netgear changes the name of access control and fails to test this new "secured access" - results in constant 500 internal server errors.  Then a "tech" person says the answer is to reset the router and that fixes it.  How is that a fix ?  WHere are they getting these people to program their routers ?  Orbi used to be a great product and they have ruined it with this poor solution.

Message 3 of 44
Mstrbig
Master

what OS are you on? If using IE browser it is no longer supported. Suggest installing the new Edge Chromium.
What are your PC settings and what model Orbi and firmware do you have.
BTW it's better to not insult the ones that are trying to help. 80% of problems are user error.
Message 4 of 44
relberfeld
Apprentice

I have a mac. on safari. and this also fails on the iphone app.  and other laptops. so it is not a user error if I didnt change anything. also fails on chrome.  this is clearlhy a remote access issue as it didnt start until netgear had the brilliant idea to change remote access.  I dont mean to insult anyone but the answer of "reboot and reinstall" is in the same league as unplug your PC and turn it back on. 

Message 5 of 44
Mstrbig
Master

@relberfeld wrote:

I have a mac. on safari. and this also fails on the iphone app.  and other laptops. so it is not a user error if I didnt change anything. also fails on chrome.  this is clearlhy a remote access issue as it didnt start until netgear had the brilliant idea to change remote access.  I dont mean to insult anyone but the answer of "reboot and reinstall" is in the same league as unplug your PC and turn it back on. 

Undestood. So you are using an Imac? 

I'm not seeing where netgear changed anything. When you say remote access are you referring to accessing your Orbi system remotely?

What URL are you using that gives you the 500 error?

Also if WIFI, go on the PC and flush DNS, forget the WIFI network, search for WIFI network and rejoin WIFI network.

Forgot one thing: Clear Browser Cache

Message 6 of 44
relberfeld
Apprentice

No, Mac, not Imac.  and it also fails on a windows PC, the ORBI iphone app also fails to connect.  a direct ip address connection fails to connect.  both of these worked consistently until netgear changed to the new "secure" access anywhere for all their platforms, and updated to the current firmware.  Netgear confirmed  the change, so I am not sure why you say nothing changed.  

Message 7 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

So does a full reset and setup from scratch fix this? 

If the Orbi app is not working after this, try to uninstall the orbi app, then re-install the app, walk thru a new setup on the app then check operation with the app. 

if the app doen't work, please post about it over in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

Message 8 of 44
Fuq
Initiate
Initiate

Same stuff happening to Me. I changed nothing and noticed the app changed. Can’t access the router now from the IP or the App. Netgear messed this up.
Message 9 of 44
Mstrbig
Master

No one has mentioned what firmware this is happening on?

It's very hard to help someone when they say:

I'm getting this, or I'm have the same issue, or my Orbi is not connection, etc. with no other information available. That's why we constantly post the same questions to OP's who are trying to help with the problem. 

Message 10 of 44
Fuq
Initiate
Initiate

KINDA HARDDDDD,,,to get the firmware when you can't login

Other detatils to assist:

1. Netgear Genie app opens and reports on the HOME that all is working well.  If I go to Router Settings, it asks me to login and it says the device is not connected to the router.

2. Orbi app is v 2.6.2.9

3. If I try and go to the website of the router, by IP, I get the 500 Internal Server Error.

Message 11 of 44
relberfeld
Apprentice

it is so obvious that this is a netgear problem. even to a casual observer.  all the noise about network issues and non-technical related questions is letting netgear off the hook.  

netgear FIX this or the google product will replace yours.

Message 12 of 44
Thedataman
Initiate

Has there been any resolution to this issue. I just woke up - noticed was having issues with certain websites and went to login to iPhone app and telling me password incorrect? That’s not right I am using facial recognition. Go to login using IP address of router / internal 500 error? I was literally on the iPhone app last night and all was good? Am I really being expected to rest this setup to factory conditions and reinstall the entire mesh network for something I did not do? What are my next steps??
Message 13 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Thedataman wrote:
Has there been any resolution to this issue. I just woke up - noticed was having issues with certain websites and went to login to iPhone app and telling me password incorrect? That’s not right I am using facial recognition. Go to login using IP address of router / internal 500 error? I was literally on the iPhone app last night and all was good? Am I really being expected to rest this setup to factory conditions and reinstall the entire mesh network for something I did not do? What are my next steps??

Message 14 of 44
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @HHassell @relberfeld @Fuq @Thedataman

We are currently checking on this. 

Did you enable NETGEAR Armor? 

Were you able to take note of the firmware version? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 15 of 44
danscarfe
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issues, all of a sudden. 500 internal server error on router. App says it can't connect. I can still login to satellites via the brower, which report the router as being fine.

And no, this isn't a problem with the laptop, or the brower, or anything like that. A 500 error means something very bad happened in the webserver on the router. It's clearly a firmware upgrade gone wrong. I can't login either to see what firmware is running

Message 16 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has Armor or Circle been enabled on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@danscarfe wrote:

I'm having the exact same issues, all of a sudden. 500 internal server error on router. App says it can't connect. I can still login to satellites via the brower, which report the router as being fine.

And no, this isn't a problem with the laptop, or the brower, or anything like that. A 500 error means something very bad happened in the webserver on the router. It's clearly a firmware upgrade gone wrong. I can't login either to see what firmware is running

Message 17 of 44
danscarfe
Tutor

I don't know what version is loaded, or that it even did an upgrade, everything just went screwy. Armor and Circle were both on. Standard Rogers modem.

I haven't factory reset it nor should users really have to! I've finally given up on my setup and bought nest wifi which instantly works perfectly!
Message 18 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Well something we would need more information on regarding your modem. 

Armor and Circle have been known to cause problems. 

Factory resets are a valid and integral part of troubleshooting and does help resolve problems. I would recommend a factory reset and setup from scratch. This time, do not enable Armor or Circle. Be sure to clear out all browser caches. 

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm also getting 500 Internal Server Error.

I've tried everything suggested above but it doesn't work. What I've done until now without luck:

* reboot router

* factory reset router (it doesn't appear to work properly since it still keeps my old password and network prefences)

* firmware upgrade to latest version RBR50-V2.5.2.4

* more rebooting / resetting / factory resetting

Sometimes, I do manage to login in the Access Control but more than half of it doesn't load. It looks like the Access Control is somehow broken or incomplete (some pages are empty or stay stuck in the spinner of death)

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks,

Message 20 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Try factory resetting by using the RBRs web page under Advanced/Administration/Backup. Select the ERASE button. 

Be sure ot clear out all browser caches as well after selecting the ERASE button. Exit the browser then re-launch. 
Try a different browser as well, IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera.

@tebbaerty wrote:

Hi,

I'm also getting 500 Internal Server Error.

I've tried everything suggested above but it doesn't work. What I've done until now without luck:

* reboot router

* factory reset router (it doesn't appear to work properly since it still keeps my old password and network prefences)

* firmware upgrade to latest version RBR50-V2.5.2.4

* more rebooting / resetting / factory resetting

Sometimes, I do manage to login in the Access Control but more than half of it doesn't load. It looks like the Access Control is somehow broken or incomplete (some pages are empty or stay stuck in the spinner of death)

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks,

Message 21 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

I've tried that once, before upgrading to latest firmware and it didn't work.

For some reason, after update, I'm not able to enter access control that often. I did manage to get a look at /debug.htm page and it looks like the CPU is at 100% all the time.

I think that is the main reason that I can't get to access control but I don't know what to do. I'm thinking to downgrade maybe?

Message 22 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

1) I thought v70 is only for US region. I am not in US. Is it safe to try it even though I am not in US?

2) I've already downgraded to 2.3.0.32 and no luck. The more I try the more I feel like the firmware is not the issue but rather the kernel below is the issue (Linux or whatever it is). Any idea on how to get a ssh into the router?

Message 24 of 44
Mikey94025
Hero

@tebbaerty wrote:

I've tried that once, before upgrading to latest firmware and it didn't work.

For some reason, after update, I'm not able to enter access control that often. I did manage to get a look at /debug.htm page and it looks like the CPU is at 100% all the time.

CPU at 100% all the time is not normal and not being able to get into access control is an unusual issue I've not seen reported in this forum.  Can you describe what ISP you have, do you have an ISP modem/gateway/router/etc., how you've connected your Orbi RBR50 and how many satellites, are they wired or wireless, do you have any switches, etc.?  Something may be unusual about your environment that is causing your Orbi to go to 100% and become non-responsive.

If you've already tried resetting and changing firmware, maybe you can simplify your network setup and then add things back one at a time.  For example, reset and then only power up just the RBR (no satellites, no wired devices except your laptop) then does the CPU still go to 100% all the time?

For comparison, my RBR50 is running V2.7.0.70 and has only 13 devices (it's my secondary network) mixed wired/wireless.  Its /debug.htm says CPU Load 12.7451% and it has been up 13:08:07:23 (13+ days).

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7