Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Geting 500 Internal Server Error from Access Control

tebbaerty
Aspirant

I had 2 satellites and around ~ 15 devices. ISP is DIGI which provides a GPON router with PPPoE. I haven't configured PPPoE on the router provided by ISP as it has a socket where you can plug an ethernet connection and then configure the PPPoE on ORBI (I think is called bridged connection or something like that).

It looks like the CPU 100% fixed itself after iterating through various firmware versions and allowing between 30 minutes and 1 hour time to settle before starting to play with it. I still suspect that the CPU 100% was the reason I got 500 internal server errors especially because now I don't get internal server error anymore. So this kind of fixes half of the issue.

Now, I'm running on RBR50-V2.5.2.4 and I was able to activate telnet and connect to the router. From what I see there a folder named /www where the Access Control website is loaded. I've tried opening the htm files that are not rendering in browser (for example now it adv_index.htm is not working) and I got: read error: Input/output error.  That doesn't happen for htm files that do render in browser (I can actually see the content).

This looks like the file system is corrupted which explains why only some of the files work and also why switching between versions or doing factory reset always resulted in only some of the pages to load.

Any idea what to do next?

Message 26 of 44
danscarfe
Tutor

I managed to fix the issue 😀
Message 27 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

@tebbaerty wrote:

1) I thought v70 is only for US region. I am not in US. Is it safe to try it even though I am not in US?

I would not use v70 if you outside of the US Region. 

2) I've already downgraded to 2.3.0.32 and no luck. The more I try the more I feel like the firmware is not the issue but rather the kernel below is the issue (Linux or whatever it is). Any idea on how to get a ssh into the router?

I would have loaded v16 on the system and then factory reset and setup from scratch. Do not enable Armor or Circle. 

v16 was a good solid fw version. Ran well for my  RBK50. It's on on v70 however I'm in the USA. 

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Good luck. 

Message 28 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

I don't believe the issue is related to firmware. I'm getting a lot of errors like this: read error: Input/output error.

I believe a fsck would be needed l, but i don't know yet how to do that. Or maybe writing something that is not used where the memory is corrupted and somehow force orbi to load from other place where the memory is not corrupted. Any ideas how to do that?
Message 29 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset would or should clear out any problems seen is this area if you have the FW loaded well and using a version of FW for your region, V16 would be what I would suggest. 

I would also do a full on re-load of stock FW with wired PC on the RBR, factory reset, clear out all browser caches then walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure to not enable Armor or Circle. Then try using Access Controls. I would use IE11, Edge or Firefox browser for all of this...

@tebbaerty wrote:
I don't believe the issue is related to firmware. I'm getting a lot of errors like this: read error: Input/output error.

I believe a fsck would be needed l, but i don't know yet how to do that. Or maybe writing something that is not used where the memory is corrupted and somehow force orbi to load from other place where the memory is not corrupted. Any ideas how to do that?

Message 30 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

Factory reset doesn't actually do much. All my changes are there even after factory reset or hard reset (30-30-30).

I've also tried the v16 firmware with no luck.

I've added Voxel FW and it looks like more pages load. I believe that the firmware is actually smaller (35 MB) and it didn't reach the corrupted memory area. I'm able to now remove / add the satellites and to actually reconfigure the Internet Setup (these pages didn't show before).

Any idea on how to run a filesystem check?

Message 31 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask Voxel and see if he knows...

You can do a factory reset with his FW loaded. You have to downgrade to stock FW. Then you can do a factory reset. Try the ERASE button found under Advanced tab/Administration/Backup settings after you load Stock FW. I find this works the best for factory reset. 

@tebbaerty wrote:

Factory reset doesn't actually do much. All my changes are there even after factory reset or hard reset (30-30-30).

I've also tried the v16 firmware with no luck.

I've added Voxel FW and it looks like more pages load. I believe that the firmware is actually smaller (35 MB) and it didn't reach the corrupted memory area. I'm able to now remove / add the satellites and to actually reconfigure the Internet Setup (these pages didn't show before).

Any idea on how to run a filesystem check?

Message 32 of 44
tebbaerty
Aspirant

After power cycling the router and upgrading all the satellites to Voxel FW everything works like a charm now!

+1 to Voxel FW which is a hell of a lot more stable and, well, is actually working.

Message 33 of 44
rcbooth14
Initiate

I am having the same problem with my orbi system. So the solution to this problem is to put a different firmware on the router? I am having the same issue and do not really see this as a long term solution. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using now? 

A factory reset would or should clear out any problems seen is this area if you have the FW loaded well and using a version of FW for your region, V16 would be what I would suggest. 

@rcbooth14 wrote:

I am having the same problem with my orbi system. So the solution to this problem is to put a different firmware on the router? I am having the same issue and do not really see this as a long term solution. 

Message 35 of 44
Genevpd
Aspirant

I have the same issue described in this thread. I didn't need to login to my router for a while, but today when I tried, and I cannot get through admin/password authentication. I'm following the instructions to reset the password, but it shows "500 Internal Server Error" on that page.

What should I do to fix it? Could someone provide step by step instructions?

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.32.51 PM.png

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using now? 

A factory reset would or should clear out any problems seen is this area...

@Genevpd wrote:

I have the same issue described in this thread. I didn't need to login to my router for a while, but today when I tried, and I cannot get through admin/password authentication. I'm following the instructions to reset the password, but it shows "500 Internal Server Error" on that page.

What should I do to fix it? Could someone provide step by step instructions?

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.32.51 PM.png

Message 37 of 44
AC360
Aspirant

I was having the same problem all of a sudden.  I got the 500 internal server error when trying to access the admin page using safari on my macbook pro.  I tried using Chrome and Firefox, and still got the same 500 internal server error.  It almost looks like the main page is halfway loaded.  I can't access using the iphone app either.

Ultimately, I was able to finally load the admin page.

On safari, the basic menu tab wordings were visible but i couldn't click them.  However, on Chrome, I was able to click and load up the various pages (internet, wireless, attached devices, etc.). But the top tabs of Basic and Advanced were not visible.  Since I couldn't get this far with Safari, I stayed with Chrome and just kept refreshing the page.  Ultimately, the entire page loaded properly including the Basic and Advanced tabs.

My current router version is V2.5.1.16 and I am only using 1 satellite.

How can I avoid this 500 internal server error in the future?  Do i need to upgrade to FW 2.7.1.60?  I did not activate the Armor security but Circle is activated and I use it.

Message 38 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out ALL browser caches befoe entering the RBRs web page. 

Try a different browser like FF or Opera. 

Disable Circle. 

Factory reset and setup from scratch. This time do not enable Cricle and see how it goes. 

@AC360 wrote:

I was having the same problem all of a sudden.  I got the 500 internal server error when trying to access the admin page using safari on my macbook pro.  I tried using Chrome and Firefox, and still got the same 500 internal server error.  It almost looks like the main page is halfway loaded.  I can't access using the iphone app either.

Ultimately, I was able to finally load the admin page.

On safari, the basic menu tab wordings were visible but i couldn't click them.  However, on Chrome, I was able to click and load up the various pages (internet, wireless, attached devices, etc.). But the top tabs of Basic and Advanced were not visible.  Since I couldn't get this far with Safari, I stayed with Chrome and just kept refreshing the page.  Ultimately, the entire page loaded properly including the Basic and Advanced tabs.

My current router version is V2.5.1.16 and I am only using 1 satellite.

How can I avoid this 500 internal server error in the future?  Do i need to upgrade to FW 2.7.1.60?  I did not activate the Armor security but Circle is activated and I use it.

Message 39 of 44
jhiggins1123
Guide

I have an RBR40.  Im trying to update the firmware from 2.5.1.22 to 2.6.1.36.  When i hit the upload button, I get the same 500 Internal server error

Message 40 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Be sure to clear out all browser caches then exit the browser then try again. 

Try IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera GX

Try powering OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back on then try the Update All button. 

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

I have an RBR40.  Im trying to update the firmware from 2.5.1.22 to 2.6.1.36.  When i hit the upload button, I get the same 500 Internal server error

Message 41 of 44
pavel_lishin
Aspirant

I am begging you all to understand that a 500 error is incredibly unlikely to be caused by a browser cache issue.

Message 42 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

WIth Orbi, could be anything. Never seen this problem with mine. 

If your having problems with your system, and can't get it fixed, contact NG support for there help and information. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Good luck.

@pavel_lishin wrote:

I am begging you all to understand that a 500 error is incredibly unlikely to be caused by a browser cache issue.

Message 43 of 44
jhiggins1123
Guide

Thanks all for the responses, but Ive since replaced the Orbi.  

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7