Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting Double NAT/ Strict NAT

LVJRich
Tutor

Getting Double NAT/ Strict NAT

I am at my wits end! We have three CBox consoles in my home and all three keep getting a Double NAT or Strict NAT condition. I have turned on UPnp and IPV6 to no avail. I have a Motorola MB8600 modem that the documentation says is already a bridge modem, so I am not sure what else I can do. We are regularly getting kicked from multiplayer games. My current FW is 3.2.10.11

Any ideas other than port forwarding or DMZ, which I am not too fond of doing.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the Orbi AX? If so, please post about his in this forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@LVJRich wrote:
I am at my wits end! We have three CBox consoles in my home and all three keep getting a Double NAT or Strict NAT condition. I have turned on UPnp and IPV6 to no avail. I have a Motorola MB8600 modem that the documentation says is already a bridge modem, so I am not sure what else I can do. We are regularly getting kicked from multiplayer games. My current FW is 3.2.10.11

Would those be XBox consoles (instead of "C")?

@FURRYe38is correct that your post probably belongs in the "AX" community forum.  Meanwhile, here here some suggestions:

• You are fortunate to have the Motorola MB8600 modem.  That eliminates a host of potential issues.
    It is "only a modem" and in no way contributes to the problem.
  • If my brief Google search is correct, these XBoxes should be able to participate in games with no problem,
    they simply cannot be used to "host" multiplayer lobbies. Here is web site is one (of many?) that explain the different types:
    https://portforward.com/nat-types/   Scroll down to XBox.
  • I fear you have a serious problem if you want three XBox consoles to host multiplayer lobbies at the same time.
    Only one device can be put in the router's DMZ (not three).  Also, port forwarding has similar restrictions. A specific port, such as 3074 or 3544 can be forwarded to only a single device.  People who host web servers get around this by assigning different port numbers to each server.  For example, external port 81 might go to web server one on port 80.  Port 82 might go to web server two on port 80.  Port 83 might go to web server three on port 80.  Clearly, people wanting each web host have to know the port number assigned to it and cannot just blindly type in "http://xxx" because that will want port 80.  I have no idea if XBox supports the concept of different port numbers.

In short, if there in fact is a "solution", I think it may come from the XBox community, not the Orbi community.

Message 3 of 4
LVJRich
Tutor

I have since posted in the (AX) section.

However, to reply to your suggestion.
Yes, I meant Xbox, not Cbox. Fat fingers. 🙂

No, I am not trying to host three lobbies. We have three consoles and they are usually doing different things. One could be playing Madden, one Borderlands, one Dead by Daylight. However, all three are showing Double NAT or Strict NAT. I still believe this is an Orbi issue since we had zero problems with our previous Orbi setup.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7