Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting ORBI to work with Roomba

randerton
Aspirant

Getting ORBI to work with Roomba

I just purchased a robotic vacuum and it turns out it will only connect to 2.4 MHz networks.  The latest firmware for my Orbi will not allow selection of 2.4 vs. 5.0 SSID's.  I am aware there are sophisticated Telnet approaches to temporarily address this issue which I don't care to venture into.  I'm looking for a way to request Netgear to include a way for administrators to temporarily select a "2.4 MHz" mode so that robotic vacuums and other devices people have asked about on this forum which are dependent on 2.4 MHz modes will work.  Does anyone know how to best voice this enhancement from a firmware standpoint?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
What security mode are you using? Try open first to see if the device will connect. The try WPA and test. Then try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Many times in a situation like this it is only the setup that requires the mobile to be on 2.4GHz, then afterward one can go back to whatever is normal. In the case of Rooba, it is necessary to have the mobile device on 2.4G a couple of places during setup. Try Adbanced and Wireless setting on the GUI to turn the 5GHZ transmission to absolute minuimum during Rooba set up. (move away from routers and satelites). See if your mobile then is connecting on 2.4GHz in Attached devices. Go through Rooba set up if it is. After you can turn the 5GHz back up.

Message 3 of 14
randerton
Aspirant

Yes, I follow your logic and attempted to go down that logic path earlier today by turning off my satellite and moving both the Roomba and my phone far enough away from the router so it would only grab the 2.4MHz signal (which tends to have better range).  However, I was not able to get away entirely from the 5MHz signal.  Now, if I could turn the power down on the 5MHz signal like you mention, this approach would be easy and probably work; however, I see now way in the Advanced settings of the router to control the power transmission of the 5MHz signal in any way.  I have the most current firmware (V2.2.1.210) - maybe you have older firmware that allows this and/or maybe I'm overlooking it somehow - can you tell me more specifically how to turn down the power on the 5MHz signal in Advanced settings?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I am up to date. You may have just missed it. 

The Orbi mobile app is pretty much useless to control much of anything. Use the web based user interface. I prefer using a laptop rather than a mobile going through Chrome and selecting Desktop Site to view the web based GUI. Everything is a pain that way. Best to do it where it is easily handlable 

Anyway, on the web GUI: AdvancedSetup> Wireless Setting>

There are two blocks of information that come up on the page, one for 2.4GHz the other for 5.0GHz. At the end of each block is the Transmit Power Control expressed in percentage (%). This is what you work with. 

Message 5 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

More specifically: Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Setting. Find Transmit Power Control . Put in 0. Go to top of page and APPLY.

You can go back and fix this after you have set up Roomba. Stay away from your devices, and check that your phone is connected to router on 2.4GHz.

Message 6 of 14
randerton
Aspirant

Very interesting - so I have no ability on that page or any others on my router to change anything related to power or transmission in any way.  See my screenshot below.  We must have different routers or firmware (per my profile, I have an RBR50 with the most current firmware.  I wish I did have access to the transmission power settings...

Orbi Screenshot.png

Message 7 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Right now the image is not showing for me (image_unmoderated). What you should have would partiall look like attached

Message 8 of 14
randerton
Aspirant

Wow - I do not have those settings at all in my admin web console - I'm on the latest firmware rev which is V2.2.1.210 for the ORBI RBR50 router.  Do you have the same router and firmware version? Wish you could see my image but I'm on the same page but a very different (and much more limited) set of options. 

Orbi Screenshot.png

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try this as well:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 10 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

My router is an RBR40 runing the same firmware as you. I am in router mode (not AP). I am viewing on Chrome. The page has looked like this from my Day 1, which was November 2017. The page format has not changed through any firmware update for me from that time. If it still is incomplete on alternate browsers, maybe you need to reset due to a faulty download. You could do a factory reset, or manually download the firmware again and manually upload it to your devices. Just guessing here.

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JoeCymru wrote:

My router is an RBR40 runing the same firmware as you. I am in router mode (not AP). I am viewing on Chrome. The page has looked like this from my Day 1, which was November 2017. The page format has not changed through any firmware update for me from that time. If it still is incomplete on alternate browsers, maybe you need to reset due to a faulty download. You could do a factory reset, or manually download the firmware again and manually upload it to your devices. Just guessing here.

This problem (device wants 2.4g only) has been discussed here many times.  Please do a search and you will find a couple of options, none of which have been offered here in this thread.

Message 12 of 14
randerton
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the reply(s). We are evolving away from the original question.
I am aware from reading other posts there are sophisticated Telnet approaches to temporarily address this issue which I don't care to venture into from a risk and basic user standpoint. I'm looking for a way to request Netgear to include a simple way for administrators to temporarily select a "2.4 MHz" mode so that robotic vacuums and other devices people have asked about on this forum which are dependent on 2.4 MHz modes will work. Does anyone know how to best voice this enhancement request back to Netgear from a firmware standpoint?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This user got hers working:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-the-new-Roomba-i7-connectivity/td-p/1654832/jump-to/f...

@randerton wrote:
Thanks very much for the reply(s). We are evolving away from the original question.
I am aware from reading other posts there are sophisticated Telnet approaches to temporarily address this issue which I don't care to venture into from a risk and basic user standpoint. I'm looking for a way to request Netgear to include a simple way for administrators to temporarily select a "2.4 MHz" mode so that robotic vacuums and other devices people have asked about on this forum which are dependent on 2.4 MHz modes will work. Does anyone know how to best voice this enhancement request back to Netgear from a firmware standpoint?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7