Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Gigabit Speed Question

RegDawg
Apprentice

Gigabit Speed Question

I just got gigabit speed service with xfinity. Am I right to assume that if the router (RBR50) is directly connected to the modem I should be seeing close to gig speed with a hard-wired laptop? Also with a laptop hard-wired to the satellite, what kind of speeds can I expect? 

I currently have a laptop hard-wired to the router and only seeing under 200mbps. I have xfinity coming out today to check my connection but am I right to assume that I should be getting close to gig speed with a laptop hard-wired to the router? I just don't want to be surprised if the tech tells me that the speed is fine and its a router issue. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a factory reset and set up from scratch performed on the router after the new services was enabled? If you had QoS/Speedtest configured on your prior service, then this is whats probably limiting the speed. Factory reset the Orbi router and this time, do not do a speedtest app on the router. Just set up the wireless and re-add the satellite(s). Then run a wired speed test with your wired PC.

If the satellite is wireless connected, you wont see 900Mb speeds, Maybe around 500Mb-600Mb. If you can connect them via wired back haul, then you should see 900Mb speeds.

What is the mfr and model of the Modem/ONT your using?

Message 2 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

I actually set it up from scratch after the gigabit service was installed. When I hook up the laptop directly to the modem I'm also only getting under 200mbps speed so I'm assuming its a comcast issue. 

The modem Xfinity gave me was a Technicolor CGM4140COM

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya if your only getting 200Mb at the modem, then the ISP will need to have a look.

I believe this model is a gateway router as well. I would ask the ISP to bridge this so it disables the router and wifi portion of the modem. Or see about installing a stand alone modem. If they wont bridge the modem/router, use the DMZ on the modem for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Last option would be to use the modem as your main router and configure the Orbi router in AP mode.

Message 4 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

The modem is actually in bridge mode. I made sure they did that before they left during the install visit. I will see what the tech says today as he'll be here in a few hours to troubleshoot. 

In regards to the last option.....by using the modem as the main router, I would hardwire the orbi router to the modem. Disable the radio's in the modem and then only broadcast with the Orbi router? If so, wondering how that would be any different than being in bridge mode now. 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Differences is modem would be the router and the Orbi router would be in AP mode, essentially it's router is disabled and just using the WiFi of the Orbi system. Only as a last resort and if the ISP modem can't be bridged would this be recommended. If the modem is bridged then your fine with the Orbi running in router mode.

Hope the ISP can figure it out. Let us know.

Message 6 of 15
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

If you are hardwired, with the other router in bridge mode, you should be getting much better speeds.  However, the speed test from inside the Orbi isn't going to give you accurate results because you can't pick the speed test location etc.

Best way to check things is to hardwire to a port on Orbi from a laptop/Computer with Gig speed adapter, then do speed tests using a server that is close/local to you.

I have 1GB fiber (through another provider) and can get 950mb down and about 1gb up this way.

Speed tests via Orbi admin show closer to 450.  For all I know, it's talking to a server on the east coast.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

Yeah thats what I hate about the built in speedtest app. 

I have a microsoft surface pro 4 with a gigabit ethernet adapter hard-wired to the Orbi router (which is hard-wired to the modem). I've used fast.com and speedtest.net and the DL speeds are about the same (about 200mbps). 

Message 8 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

So the tech just left. The speed coming into my house is fine. He tested the line going into the modem direclty, and also tested it going into the modem and into the Orbi....he was getting 900+mbps on his meter. While he was there I ran a test connected directly to the modem and connected the router and was only getting about 200mpbs. Used a dell laptop and a microsoft surface pro 4. 

His conclustion was my devices were not going to reach the 900+mbps speed and advised to downgrade my internet service to their 250mbps or 400mbps service to save that extra $$. 

Now by downgrading...will that affect my network as far as simultaneous devices streaming at the same time? Such as 2 TV's, 2 tablets, and a PC. 

Message 9 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@RegDawg

What speeds do get with the following setup?

1 Gbps xfinity > modem > Dell Laptop [Speed Test ~??? Mbps]

1 Gbps xfinity > modem > Microsoft Surface Pro 4 [Speed Test ~??? Mbps]

Dell Laptop - 95 +/-

Microsoft Surface Pro - 200 +/-

Message 10 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@RegDawg wrote:

@Case850 wrote:

@RegDawg

What speeds do get with the following setup?

1 Gbps xfinity > modem > Dell Laptop [Speed Test ~??? Mbps]

1 Gbps xfinity > modem > Microsoft Surface Pro 4 [Speed Test ~??? Mbps]

Dell Laptop - 95 +/-

Microsoft Surface Pro - 200 +/-

Looks like you have a 100 Mbs adapter in the Dell. 95 is all you will ever get with that.

I imagine you have a USB Ethernet adapter in the Surface pro.  USB adapters are slower than built-in Ethernet.  USB 2.0 is very slow.  USB 3.0 adapters are faster, but not all are created equal.

Message 11 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@RegDawg

Does the Dell support 100/1000 Mbps or just 10/100 Mbps? 

It looks like the Ethernet interface on the Dell Laptop is running at 100 Mbps. You will need to check that in Windows Network Settings.

You will need to do the same on the Surface Pro Ethernet interface.

Yes the Dell laptop is running at 100mbps. The Surface Pro 4 is using a USB 3.0 Gig ethernet adapter (so it should be) and I checked status and it says running at 1gb but speed tests are only showing 200+/-

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I should have asked this sooner about your HW. Sorry I didn't. Will be up to you about keeping your Gb ISP services or have then down grade. Ya, your limited by your 100mb adapter. You'll have to decide to upgrade your client side HW so you can get take advanage of the 900Mb speeds or keep your current lower ISP speeds. Even at 200Mb speeds, you should be good for streaming to TVs and such. I have this same speed and for our house, it works well I have one one netflix streaming and two that play xbox online, including me so theres plenty of bandwdith. Hope you will take the suggestions and figure out whats best for you. 

@RegDawg wrote:

So the tech just left. The speed coming into my house is fine. He tested the line going into the modem direclty, and also tested it going into the modem and into the Orbi....he was getting 900+mbps on his meter. While he was there I ran a test connected directly to the modem and connected the router and was only getting about 200mpbs. Used a dell laptop and a microsoft surface pro 4. 

His conclustion was my devices were not going to reach the 900+mbps speed and advised to downgrade my internet service to their 250mbps or 400mbps service to save that extra $$. 

Now by downgrading...will that affect my network as far as simultaneous devices streaming at the same time? Such as 2 TV's, 2 tablets, and a PC. 

Message 13 of 15
RegDawg
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I should have asked this sooner about your HW. Sorry I didn't. Will be up to you about keeping your Gb ISP services or have then down grade. Ya, your limited by your 100mb adapter. You'll have to decide to upgrade your client side HW so you can get take advanage of the 900Mb speeds or keep your current lower ISP speeds. Even at 200Mb speeds, you should be good for streaming to TVs and such. I have this same speed and for our house, it works well I have one one netflix streaming and two that play xbox online, including me so theres plenty of bandwdith. Hope you will take the suggestions and figure out whats best for you. 

@RegDawg wrote:

I'm going to downgrade my speed. Its going to cost me more money just to upgrade my devices to use the gig speed. I didn't think about the HW compatibility when I had gigabit installed. They offered me a promotion for $$ more so I said why not. At 250mbps I didn't really have an issue and thought the gig speed would give me some freedom. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be good with 200Mb. Hope you find the resources to upgrade when you need too. 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7