Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Give back separating 2.4ghz and ghz 5 ssid's!

consoul_cable
Aspirant

Give back separating 2.4ghz and ghz 5 ssid's!

We got this a few weeks ago, we're pretty happy with everything but the missing features from the Nighthawk product line. Not even having the "option" to separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssid's is a huge step back! I've seen the thread of how to get this to work on the RBR50, but it doesnt work on the current RBR20 firmware, and you shouldnt be forced into this workaround anyway. There are a bunch of problems this introduces for IoT device setup, it should be a requirement! /rant_off

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the goal to make the 5GHz SSID "disappear" for short time while a new IoT device is added to the network?  Or, is it to make the 2.4G and 5G SSID's permanently different?  One of the big draws of mesh systems is that devices will maintain a network connection even if they wander away from  their current connection.  If my smartphone is connected at 5G and I wander off to the point that the 5G signal is too weak, the phone automatically gets switched to 2.4G (and then back again).

I think we all agree that Netgear could make this whole issue go away by simply implementing a "turn off 5G" switch.

Message 2 of 10
consoul_cable
Aspirant

It seems like the point of the mesh is that I "dont" go outside of reasonable 5ghz range while inside the house. When I had them separated before, one a single router, and was doing yardwork I occasionally changed to 2.4ghz manually to keep strong signal at the far reaches of the yard. But I have more access points now anway, and like others note, far too often I see most everything connecting to 2.4 even though my router and satalite are well separated and I have very clear 5ghz bands where I am.

A workaround would almost be to just disable 2.4ghz and use a different router for that, but I dont see that option either.

Message 3 of 10
SfxWolf
Guide

Agree, I have several cameras I am unable to connect because they don't recognize 5G. They refuse to connect (2.4G only) since I can't really turn off the 5G temporarily. Connected fine on old 2.4G only setup. Would love a turn off 5G option and then turn back on when ready.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

ITs not the Orbi that needs to disable 5Ghz. It's the software setup by the Mfr that needs to allow the setup mobile device to allow that device to connect thru the Orbi on 5Ghz while the camera will connect at 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz only supporting devcies will never connect to 5Ghz. The setup device like a phones can. The Mfr of the setup software needs to allow the setup device to connect to either2.4Ghz or 5Ghz when they are connected to any dual or tri band supporting wifi system with active smart connect enabled. Orbi doesn't support disabling of the 5Ghz. 

You can see if disabling of the 5Ghz broadcast is available under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings. Uncheck the 5Ghz broadcast SSID if you see this and apply. Then see if the setup device will connect and the setup software for the camera will complete. 

@SfxWolf wrote:

Agree, I have several cameras I am unable to connect because they don't recognize 5G. They refuse to connect (2.4G only) since I can't really turn off the 5G temporarily. Connected fine on old 2.4G only setup. Would love a turn off 5G option and then turn back on when ready.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, I am going to take the advice of  Funkenstein  and keep one of my ancient Android phones in case I ever do purchase a smart device that fights to the death over this 5G issue.  With my luck, they will stop supporting Android 4.4 and the phone won't help me (providing I can find it when the time comes and it still works).

Message 6 of 10
SfxWolf
Guide

Appreciate the reply. I do currently turn off Broadcast SSID for the 5G and turn the percentage down to 25 which is the lowest, why not have a zero option... Still has issues trying to connect. Gonna have to dump the camera and buy a new one that's more compatible with 5G and not 2.4G. Camera maker is foreign so their help is kind of useless and generic. Thanks for the reply.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@SfxWolf wrote:

Agree, I have several cameras I am unable to connect because they don't recognize 5G. They refuse to connect (2.4G only) since I can't really turn off the 5G temporarily.

A camera not recognizing 5 GHz does not care about a 5 GHz AP on air.

@SfxWolf wrote:

Connected fine on old 2.4G only setup. Would love a turn off 5G option and then turn back on when ready.

More likely crappy discovery and IoG discovery App which does not want to work if the mobile is on a 5 GHz, while the cameras have to be discovered on 5 GHz. As the LAN, the 2.4 GHz, and the 5 GHz provide a transparent L2 environment, there should be no need. It's up to the vendors of this IoG to fix thier stuff.

Consider to configure your camera on your old router - temporary switch off the Orbi system - which is configured to the same SSID/network name, passphrase/PSK, and security mode as configured on your Orbi system. Then bring up Orbi again. Winders of wireless technologies ... most likely the cameras will connect to Orbi's network now.  Much easier than hacking the Orbi config.

Message 8 of 10
PapaMike
Star

@schumaku wrote:

@SfxWolf wrote:

Agree, I have several cameras I am unable to connect because they don't recognize 5G. They refuse to connect (2.4G only) since I can't really turn off the 5G temporarily.

A camera not recognizing 5 GHz does not care about a 5 GHz AP on air.

@SfxWolf wrote:

Connected fine on old 2.4G only setup. Would love a turn off 5G option and then turn back on when ready.

More likely crappy discovery and IoG discovery App which does not want to work if the mobile is on a 5 GHz, while the cameras have to be discovered on 5 GHz. As the LAN, the 2.4 GHz, and the 5 GHz provide a transparent L2 environment, there should be no need. It's up to the vendors of this IoG to fix thier stuff.

Consider to configure your camera on your old router - temporary switch off the Orbi system - which is configured to the same SSID/network name, passphrase/PSK, and security mode as configured on your Orbi system. Then bring up Orbi again. Winders of wireless technologies ... most likely the cameras will connect to Orbi's network now.  Much easier than hacking the Orbi config.

Excellent suggestion!

I do something similar. I have a Netgear extender in my garage. When a 2.4g device can't connect (rare), I connect it to the extender 2.4g band.  Once it's connected to the extender,  I can move it to the Orbi SSID and it's forever connected.

Message 9 of 10
SfxWolf
Guide

Ahhhh great suggestions. I have a netgear extender gonna have to do the garage trick. Will work great since our service stops right outside the garage anyway. Thanks to all.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7