Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Going to Google Wifi after 15 hours with Orbi support

DaninSD
Guide

Going to Google Wifi after 15 hours with Orbi support

I have spent over 15 hours on the phone with Orib support changing every configuration (with different recommendations based on who I talk to). I have always had intermittent connection drops all over my network.  I purchased NetUptimeMonitor to constantly ping three different servers to prove my point every time I've called.  I finally updated to firmware 2.1.4.10 and used ONLY the router (no satellites) and STILL got disconnects.  There is no reason somebody should have to mess with the advanced settings to fix dropped connections.

It's unfortunately that every online review only cares about connection speed and connection strength the farther away you are.  I haven't seen a review look at the long term quality of the connection and issues we are all having.

I bought my father in law the same system and he has the same dropped connection.

We are both buying Google Wifi.  I set it up for a friend and his connection has been awesome.  This has been one of the most frustrating electronics purchases (and I've made a lot).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 2
DaninSD
Guide

Update: Going to Google Wifi after 15 hours with Orbi support

UPDATE

Google Wifi works.  That's all I ever wanted.  It doesn't drop at all.  No special firmware.  Nothing.  One caveat (that I knew before I bought it) is the throughput decreases by 50% when you hop through one of the satellites. So, instead of getting 50 MBPS I get 25 MBPS.  No big deal to me.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 5 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7