Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Good bandwidth at the router not so good at the device, 25mbps at router, 10mbps at the device

Walleye13
Aspirant

Good bandwidth at the router not so good at the device, 25mbps at router, 10mbps at the device

I have an RBR50, firmware is 2.3.1.60 with 2 satellites, my internet connection is a 25mbps down and 5 mbps up. When i run a speed test at the router i show the proper speeds, but when i run a test from one of the devices i can only get 10mbps at best.  I have checked the settings within the wireless settings 2.4G  channel is Auto and 5G is set at 48 it seems if i change the 2.4G channels it gets worse. Looking for any suggestions.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Good bandwidth at the router not so good at the device, 25mbps at router, 10mbps at the device

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What devices are you using for wireless speed tests? 

Do wired PC speed test the same? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 6
Walleye13
Aspirant

Sensei, i have addressed all of your suggestions, it seems everytime i try one of your recommend settings it preforms slower.

As i said initially i can get 25mbps at the router. (when i go to the QOS setting it allows me to run a speed test) when i run the speed test i get the proper speeds. This also applies to plugging directly into the router. When i try my laptop wirelessly i only get 10mbps, with the laptop plugged into the satellite i only get 10meg.

The satellites are approx 30 ft from the router +/- a couple feet.

Still looking for a solution.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What devices are you using for wireless speed tests? 

Do wired PC speed test the same? 

Has a factory reset been performed on the RBR, setup from scratch and test with both wired and wireless devices with the RBR while the RBS is turned OFF? 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you provide a couple of information items:

What specific laptop is being used for the tests?

Can you please capture the backhaul information.  i.e. connect to the Orbi web interface, replace "index.htm" with "debug.htm". When the debug page comes up, check the box "Enable Telnet".  Then... use a telnet program to connect to the Orbi, enter "admin" and the administrative password, and then type "satelliteinfo wifi" (no quotes).  On my Orbi RBR50, this is what I get:

"mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-71",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"

This indicates that my (one) satellite is "1 hop" from the router (which is has to be, there being no more satellites) and that the transmit and receive rates on the backhaul are 780mb.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Results for a wired RBS:

"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "",
"backhaul conntype" : "wired",
"backhaul rssi" : "-95",
"backhaul macaddress" : "",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "0",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "0",

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies