Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google Home Hub connectivity to Orbi RBR40 Access Point

yayafreckles
Aspirant

Google Home Hub connectivity to Orbi RBR40 Access Point

We have an Orbi RBR40 mesh system as an Access Point through our Verizon Gateway Router. We purchased a Google Home Hub (now called a Google Nest Hub) and cannot even set up the Hub as it refuses to connect to my WiFi. The first error message I get is "Something went wrong. Display may be set up, but we could not communcate with it from your iPhone. It's possible that your Google Nest Hub and iPhone are connected to networks that are unable to talk to one another. This may require a small change to your WiFi settings."

When I ask for help in the app, it then says: "Having trouble setting up Google Home? Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also know as Client Isolation or guest mode on your router."

Any help on how I actual do this? Can I connect a Google Hub to Orbi or not? (I'm not the most tech saavy, so step by step instructions please) 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

You should only select the network which you phone is connected to.
There can be some conflicting information stored in your nest hub. Please try to factory reset the nest hub and try again.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

If you have issues attching Google Home to Orbi then you should check your IP network. There must be something wrong there.

I have Google Home, Google Home mini and Nest Hubs. All working perfectly well with Orbi.

If you're getting a message related to "different networks" and AP isolation, then first thing I'd check is double NAT.

If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8   (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,

Message 2 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. So I ran a traceroute as you instructed but because I'm not the most tech saavy I don't know what im looking at. The results list "traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets" then goes on to list numbers 1-8, each number has a different description or numerical value. Any addtional guidance for me? 

Message 3 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@yayafreckles wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So I ran a traceroute as you instructed but because I'm not the most tech saavy I don't know what im looking at. The results list "traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets" then goes on to list numbers 1-8, each number has a different description or numerical value. Any addtional guidance for me? 

Correct, you will get a list of hops. What IP addresses do you have in the first 2 hops/lines in the list. Are they in the form 192.168.1.x (private IP addresses) or something else?

Message 4 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

The first line does have that number you listed with fios_quantum_gateway. The second and third line is just a collection of numbers with no words. Lines 4 and 5 mention my internet provider. Its not until line 8 that it says google_public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8)

Message 5 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@yayafreckles wrote:

The first line does have that number you listed with fios_quantum_gateway. The second and third line is just a collection of numbers with no words. Lines 4 and 5 mention my internet provider. Its not until line 8 that it says google_public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8)

What are the first few digits in the IP address in the second line please?

Message 6 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

Message 7 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Then you don’t seem to have double NAT.
Do you have more than one wifi network at home? Is there any way that Google devices are connected to a wifi network different than that which your phone is connected to?
Are you using the Guest network for anything other than using it for guests?
Message 8 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

I have a main network and a guest network. I tried connecting it to either one, but the Hub won't connect to either of them. I made sure to connect it to what my phone was connected to at the moment.  The guest network has no connections on it. Its super frustrating. I dont know if I should just return all the Google hub and the 2 mini's or what. I don't understand why Orbi won't allow the connection. 

Message 9 of 15
ekhalil
Master

When do you see the issue during the attach procedure?
Do you see the Google Home hub after being factory reset? At what point after that does the problem appear?
Message 10 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

We just purchased the hub, so when first turning it on and attempting to set it up. It gets to the point where It tells me to download the Google Home app and connect it to WiFi. Once I try, the app
Indicates connected on my iPhone, but the hub just stays in “connecting mode” and never connects, then my phone gives me the errors I noted in the original post.
Message 11 of 15
ekhalil
Master

So you reached to the stage where you have been asked to choose your wifi network, you chose the correct network and then that failed?
Message 12 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

Yes. And I have tried connecting to both my main and guest network and I get the same error both ways.
Message 13 of 15
ekhalil
Master

You should only select the network which you phone is connected to.
There can be some conflicting information stored in your nest hub. Please try to factory reset the nest hub and try again.
Message 14 of 15
yayafreckles
Aspirant

IT WORKED!!!!! It accepted my Wifi and allowed me to set up the Hub. Thank you so much for assiting me over the last few days! Now hopefully the google minis will connect just fine too!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7