Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Google Home and Chromecasts UNUSABLE with Orbi

Gabeloooooo
Guide

Google Home and Chromecasts UNUSABLE with Orbi

I am so sick of Orbi.

All my chromecasts, and even Google home will constantly require reboots because they say Need Setup. The reason is orbi. Same thing with iOS, sometimes you have to turn off and on wifi for the net to come back (though that is less frequent than with the Chromecasts).

I have tried lowering power, mimo and everything is off, etc.

Any ideas?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Re: Google Home and Chromecasts UNUSABLE with Orbi

Bought Google Wifi, replaced the Orbi by it. All issues are gone. Chromecasts are always connected, never crashed. Never have to on/off Wifi on my iOS devices.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
luisalvaradox
Aspirant

Hi Gabe, am currently testing the latest 2.0.0.74 version and had similar issues. After several tests, the current one that is working is:

1. Make sure the Router and Satellites are updated to the latest (In this case, the 2.0.0.74 for RBS50/RBR50 or 2.0.0.74 for RBS40) by going to Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update as seen here:

Screenshot from 2017-10-21 17-39-07.png

2. After upgrading all the firmware devices, turn them off and factory reset the main Router (This was needed for me to get a maximum speed of 100Mbps again and have all chromecast and chromecast ultra work correctly).

3. Configure the main router again from scratch and let it detect and configure the rest of the satellites. Make sure the satellites do not get the Amber or Purple light since that means they have connection issues with the router.

4. For testing purposes, setup the wireless settings like this:

Screenshot from 2017-10-21 17-24-34.png

As you can see in the image, the Enable Implicit Beamforming, Enable MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming are all disable. This solved the issue with my Samsung TV disconnecting, my iPhone and Android disconnecting, the Chromecast disconnecting or lagging and the achieving maximum internet speed throughout the house instead of the 50% or less speed I was getting before.

4. Position the Satellites in strategic places to make sure you get the best results and take into consideration walls, wall thickness and material, other 2.4Ghz devices near the router / satellite, Bluetooth devices that could interfere if too close to the router / satellite.

This is all I did in my particular case.

Message 2 of 5
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Tried all of this. Nothing works. iOS devices often need on/off wifi as well.

Orbi is just plain terrible.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gabeloooooo wrote:

I am so sick of Orbi.

All my chromecasts, and even Google home will constantly require reboots because they say Need Setup. The reason is orbi. Same thing with iOS, sometimes you have to turn off and on wifi for the net to come back (though that is less frequent than with the Chromecasts).

I have tried lowering power, mimo and everything is off, etc.

Any ideas?

Yep, mine have done this off and on since 1.10.x as well.

Message 4 of 5
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Bought Google Wifi, replaced the Orbi by it. All issues are gone. Chromecasts are always connected, never crashed. Never have to on/off Wifi on my iOS devices.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7