Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google Home causing disconnect/reboot of Orbi

D808
Guide

Google Home causing disconnect/reboot of Orbi

Wifi disconnecting and orbi crash, reboot.  

I have a 2000 sqft home.

wifi is provided by the orbi and Asus night hawk router/wifi network.

In my home I have 5 google homes, 6 amazon echo devices, and many Smart home devices (50+), 6 amazon fire tvs, and 15 computer/tablets.  

This past week I turned off the Asus wifi in an effort to reduce the frequency interference with the orbi.  Turning off the Asus wifi did improve the wifi connection speed to the orbi.

After turning off the wifi on the Asus all the deviced began to swich over to the Orbi ip's,  Some of the google home's didn't want to connect to the orbi and caused the orbi to crash and reboot.  I figured I'll just get them all onto the orbi network and things should be ok.  Well after connecting and reconnecting the google homes and to get them connected to the orbi network, I started to get disconnects and orbi rebooting itself (seems like its crashing).  All wired connections continue to work fine as I have the Asus as the router for the wired devices.  

I was having difficulty determining the cause of the crash/reboot issues, but knew it had to be one of the devices that was connected to the asus wifi as this was the only change I did.

This morning I had a random disconnect/reboot again and determined that It was when I spoke to the google home asking for a command, the google home didn't respond and the orbi crashed and rebooted.  After the reboot the google home worked as normal.

Now as I've been researching on this forum it appears there are others with android/google devices experiencing the same issue. 

I just wanted to share with the community that the Google home is also causing the same disconnect/reboot issues as the other google products.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 40
Hydro130
Luminary

I have 5 Google Homes and I've had zero issues with any them on my Orbi network.  I've had all of these devices (GHs and Orbi) set up since they were realeased over a year ago.

Message 2 of 40
D808
Guide

Thank you for the confirmation,  *scratches head.  I'll test further and see if I can isolate it to just one or a few of the Google homes causing the crash.

Message 3 of 40
jasonjason
Guide

Do you also have a Pixel phone? Perhaps with Android 8.1? I have 4 Google Homes and a Mini on my network. Just ran some tests overnight and today to see that I don't lose Orbi network. As soon as I connect to the network with my Pixel 2 XL with Android 8.1, all of the Orbis crash and restart. My wife has a Pixel 2 XL with Android 8.0 and it didn't cause this issue all day long today.

Message 4 of 40
D808
Guide

No Pixel, and no devices with android 8.1.  My phone is a galaxy s8+ which was having a problem, but after samsung updated the firmware the issue was resolved.  Other phone in the house is a Galaxy Note 8, which I noticed does disconnect regularly. also has a problem opening the google home app and does also cause a crash.  I thought the crash while opening the app was caused by the phone trying to access the google homes, but now that I think about it, the phone connecting may also be causing the problem.  Tonight I will troubleshoot by removing all of the google homes and leave the Galaxy Note 8 connected.  Will let you know what I find.

Message 5 of 40
D808
Guide

Update:  So last night after I got home, I turned my Asus wifi back on and moved my brother's Note 8 to that wifi as his device could not manage a stable connection to the Orbi (frequently saying "connected, no internet").  Moving the Note 8 to the asus wifi seems to have fixed his connection issue.  

Then, I thought ok maybe it was the Note.  I was wrong, this morning again I got a disconnect.  I seems to happen whenever someone in the house uses either a google home, phone, or tablet.  I don't think it's a tablet as we both only use our phones or google home in the morning.  The Asus wifi connected to the Note 8 did not get disconnected and had internet the whole time,  My phone (galaxy S8+) lost connection while checking my email(do this every morning when I wake up).  

Settings I changed on the orbi last night.

turned off beam forming, mimo, upnp, and daisy chaining.

Things I'll try tonight, moving the orbi satellite closer.

Any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 40
turnerm05
Luminary

This is very interesting.  It sounds just like what is happening with my Pixel on 8.1 (hence the post from someone else experiencing the same issue above).  However, I've got multiple Google Home products in my house and they are having zero issues at all.

I'm out of the country this week and my router has been running for 5 days straight with no issue.  I assure you that if I connect with my Pixel when I get back home I'll see a crash/reboot within a few hours.

The really absurd part about ALL of this is that there is absolutely no way a router should be forced into a reboot scenario by a client device.  This is just completely unacceptable.

This post proves that it's not just a unique issue with Android 8.0 or 8.1.

I'm going to fiddle with it a little bit again this weekend but if I can't get it working then I'm ripping the Orbi out and dropping in a Google Wifi system.  I'll use it with wired backhaul which will still get me decent speeds throughout the house.  The Orbi can't be beat when it comes to speed but it's not worth it if I can't keep it up and running reliably.  My family is tired of the inconvenience... and I'm tired of dealing with it.  I've been one of Orbi's biggest chearleaders up until now.  

Message 7 of 40
D808
Guide

Seems like we're both in the same situation.

I have confirmed it's not the Google Homes causeing the problem.  It seems like it was isolated to the Galaxy note 8 and my older galaxy s2 tablets.  When they woke and tried to connect to the Orbit it would overload/trigger? the orbi causing it to crash.

To save myself the headache of trouble shooting the Orbi for Netgear, I decided to purchase the EERO Pro wifi 2nd gen.(triband).  Installed it yesterday and it's working perfectly so far.  Set up was a breeze and I now have very consistant coverage throughout my whole house, best of all no signal drops or reboots!  It was pricy but if it lasts longer than a year (used the Orbi for 10months) it will be a better investment than the Orbi was.  The Orbi is actually faster, but unreliable.  Now my orbi is being used as a $300 network switch cause the Eero only has 2 ethernet ports per puck (like the Google wifi).

Message 8 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

Whoa - is there any truth to this?  I have a regular Galaxy 8 (not a Note 8), and I'll be working on my laptop...then when I pick up my phone to respond to a WhatsApp mesage, all of a sudden, I'll lose connection for several seconds.  Lately, since I've been troubleshooting another router reboot issue, I've been looking at the log, and sure enough it rebooted right when I picked up my phone.  But not always!

I've updated my firmware today, so I'll have to see if thie behaviour continues.  Strange if it's true...phones causing a router to reboot!  That's crazy.

Message 9 of 40
turnerm05
Luminary

@vreynolds That is EXACTLY what's happening with my Pixel. It took me a while to isolate the problem but now I'm 100% certain of it. 

There's absolutely some odd issue with the Orbi. No point device should cause a router to reboot. It's ridiculous!  I've tried just about everything but the only thing that works is "forgetting" my home's WiFi network. But that sucks because then I can't use my phone for controlling my Sonos, Hue Lights, etc. 

Probably gonna ditch Orbi and go Eero Pro or Google WiFi. They may be a little inferior speed wise but at least I'll have consistent WiFi. 

Message 10 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

I just woke up for work. WiFi was on and connected on my Galaxy S8. I picked up my phone and unlocked it...BAM, Wi-Fi disconnected. Looks like the Orbi did a software reboot. Two minutes later, I am back on Wi-Fi. My cameras and hubs also disconnected. That's crazy.
Message 11 of 40
turnerm05
Luminary

Yep!  Like clockwork!!  Exact same scenario for me with my Pixel. My wife was in the middle of a ride on her Peloton one morning when the router rebooted. That was fun!

I think I'm going to pick up a 3 pack of the Gen 2 Eero this weekend. I started out with Eero but went to Orbi because I was losing too much speed on my Eero units that were more than one hop away from the main unit. But now I've added in some Ethernet wiring so I'm hoping that with the upgrade in strength (I had the original Gen 1 devices) and having the first two devices wired together I'll see much better results. 

It's such a shame because the speed and coverage of Orbi is the best out there. But I can't deal with these stupid crippling bugs. I want a set and forget system. 

Message 12 of 40
D808
Guide

A router that reboots when a device is activated is unacceptable,  I suggest anyone who is having similar issues to return their orbi if it's possible. Save yourself the trouble and $, I wish I did.  

Interesting conversation I had with the Best Buy sales associate when purchasing the EERO.  I was already carrying the EERO box when a sales associate approched me asking politely if I needed any help or had any questions.  I asked him his thoughts on the EERO (I work in sales and a sales person generally knows most about customer complaints) he said they are good but not as fast and more expensive than the Orbi.  I explained that I was looking to replace my Orbi due to the disconnecting/rebooting.  He seemed genuinely suprised and embarrassed, I confirmed to him the Orbi is fast, but not worth the speed at the expense of stability.  He then accepted this and told me yes then maybe the EERO is a good alternative.  

As I work in sales it is upsetting when I'm doing my job and selling a product based on a promise from the manufacturer that when they say it is "the best" and parrot that to the consumer only to have the manufacturer not deliver on their promise, leaving the front line (me/sales people) embarassed and discouraged.  I do think that the Bestbuy sales associate genuinely thought the Orbi was/is the best, I hope now though he will think twice before pushing the product.  

I think with this type of problem, it is up to the consumer to spend their hard earned money on companies that genuinely care about their customers and take pride in the products they produce. 

Consumers are not dumb and some manufacturers will only know this by not buying their products.  

Sorry Netgear you let me down.  

Message 13 of 40
turnerm05
Luminary

@D808. Completely agree. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to buy the Eero Pro package which I'll be running with Ethernet backhaul between the main and second unit and then wireless for the third.

I know I'll lose some speed but I've got gigabit service and should easily see 180+ even in the furthest reaches which is way more than enough.

I just can't be bothered to waste any more time tracking this issue down and Netgear obviously does not care because they are quieter than a church house mouse even though there are multiple threads on the topic.

I've been let down.
Message 14 of 40
evancg
Guide

There's another thread about reboots that started looking at Google Home as the culprit, but it's also been determined it's probably not specifically the Home - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-keeps-rebooting/m-p/1469095/highlight/false#M19196

That being said, I think it's probably Android related - people have noted Pixel 2's potentially being an issue, but I have a Note 8. I had the Orbi for three days before going on a 5 day trip - it was rebooting daily if not several times a day. It did not reboot ONCE while I was gone, despite having a dog sitter using ALL the same things I use when I'm home - except she has an iPhone. I've been home less than 24 hours and it already rebooted.

Netgear needs to figure out how a CLIENT Android device is forcing their $300 router to reboot. I'm not sure what's more crazy - the fact it's happening, or that with their knowledge and resources, can't recreate and resolve it!

Message 15 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

Here's a more general thread about Android devices causing the crash:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Android-8-Crashes-Orbi/td-p/1452080

You don't have to read 100+ replies on that one.  Here is a sample: "I have a Pixel and I went on vacation for 5 days.  No crashes while I was gone.  As soon as I returned, the Orbi started crashing/rebooting".  I paraphrased it but it doesn't get any more clear than that.

Although the title says Android 8, it's happening to some peopple with Android 7.0.  I also woke my "bathroom" phone with Android 5.1 and Orbi immediately crashed.  I don't know if that's a coincidence but I don't feel like being the guinea pig.  

Message 16 of 40
evancg
Guide

My Note 8 isn't an 8.* device either, so yeah agree it's not Pixel specific. I've sat through five random reboots tonight (while trying to watch a streaming movie.....ugh). Think I'll just hook up my old Nighthawk and return this trash. It's literally unusable, despite any amount of resetting, modifying router settings, enabling\disabling features, etc.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 17 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

Can you try one thing before returning it? On your Note 8, in wifi settings, disable WiFi during sleep. Set it to Never. What do you have to lose? This gives me nearly 2 days without a reboot.
Message 18 of 40
evancg
Guide

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions but unfortunately a couple of days of uptime without a random reboot is still not good enough. I work from home pretty often and I'm in a bit of an iffy cell area, so the random reboots interupt WiFi calls, VPN, and WiFi video conferencing. My Nighthawk never reboots randomly - it can be up and stable for weeks or months at a time. The slight speed and coverage boost (which were nice, but not necessary for my setup) don't justify the $200 cost and unreliability.

Message 19 of 40
sleppelm
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my Pixel XL. Randomly reboots the Orbi, especially when just turning wifi on for the first time.  The fact this hasn't  been fixed yet by Netgear is insane.  I seriously can't believe the instability of this device.  I'd take mine back if I could.  I'm on the latest firmware as well.  v2.1.1.16.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 20 of 40
outerringz
Aspirant

I'm having regular wifi outages on my RBR50/RBS50 network. Looks like TP-Link figured out the issue with Google devices. I have a Google Home, three Chromecasts, and a Pixel 2 XL. I've temporarily eliminated the symptom by powering off all the Google products. Obviously not a solution, but it confimed the symptom.

https://9to5google.com/2018/01/15/google-chromecast-home-wifi-outage/

Message 21 of 40
mitchear
Aspirant

Thank you for posting that.  I thought I was going crazy.  We've tried every setting imaginable to determine what was causing the conflict for the Orbi RBK50 and satellite and the consequential crashing of the network.  We knew waking our Android phones or tablet have caused the Orbi system to crash, just not why.  Before Christmas, we had a Netgear Nighthawk  R7000 and its extender the EX7000 - It too was beginning to have crashing issues.  We have been slowly increasing our Google products and are now up to 4 Google Homes, and  5 Chromecasts, plus phones and tablet.

Hopefully, Netgear puts out a patch for this. Looks like other TP-Link and Linksys are already rolling one out.

Message 22 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18

Here it is...go get it.  Can't be any worse than constant reboots.

Edit: it does NOT fix the random reboots.  I just had 2 reboots, and both of my Android phones are off WIFI!  Come on Netgear, lets go!  Fix the damn thing.

Message 23 of 40
loomis1975
Luminary

I don't think the .18 release had much if anything to do with the google / cast issue.

Saw this in the Android 8 thread:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7634752

Look for a Google Play Services update this weekend I guess and see what happens.  When I get it for my phone, I'll then go around and reboot all my google home / chromecast / android TV / google assistant devices and see what happens.

Message 24 of 40
Richard1864
Luminary

Google releasing critical update for Android and Chromecast that MAY fix the problem many of us are suffering from - Orbi’s rebooting or crashing with Android/Chrone devices connected.

Https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995
Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7