Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google Home causing disconnect/reboot of Orbi

iantrich
Aspirant

Got the update tonight; does not resolve the Orbi rebooting when phone is woken from sleep

Message 26 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

Do you mean you received the Google Play services update? Or do you mean the new firmware update? Yes the firmware update does not resolve any rebooting issues. But there's supposed to be a new Google Play services update which apparently fixes this issue.
Message 27 of 40
iantrich
Aspirant

I'm referring to the Google Play services update.
Message 28 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

Oh no! Can you confirm for me it is 11.9.74? That's the version that's supposed to fix it. I don't know how much longer I can take these disconnects, if this fix doesn't fix it.
Message 29 of 40
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here is additional info on this https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/chromecast-and-google-homes-reportedly-overloading-home-wi-f...

This occurs when the device is awakened from its "sleep" state, and could exceed more than 100,000 packets. The longer your device is in "sleep," the larger this packet burst will be. This issue may eventually cause some of router's primary features to shut down

Seems the workaround to this issue until the patch gets out is to prevent your devices from going into sleep mode - or bringing them out often by setting up a scheduled task.

Message 30 of 40
vreynolds
Luminary

I got the Google Play Services beta 11.9.74. so far I've had up time of 1.5 days with no reboots. I installed the beta on the 3 Android phones we have in the home. I assume my Nvidia Shield has its own update since it runs on Android 7.0. I don't know about Google home, but we've been using both devices and all of our phones with no problems so far. But I've also had about a week before this where I had no reboots. I don't know what that was all about.
Message 31 of 40
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear, since you can't seem to fix the Orbi, are you going to start issuing refunds? or exchanging everyone to Orbi Pros (which doesn't appear to have these problems, because you value business customers over regular consumers?)? TP-link, Linksys, and others have already gotten it fixed... How long for a Chromecast/Android fix Netgear?

Message 32 of 40
Richard1864
Luminary

Google released updates to fix the Android/Chromecast issues. Have you downloaded those updates yet, Sleepr88?
Message 33 of 40
orb526
Guide

I installed the beta update for Google Play Services on 4 Android phones and ran them all weekend with zero Orbi crashes.  The beta app does fix the problem.  My advice to anyone with this frustrating issue:  Do not wait for Google to release the official app...  Who knows how long that will take...  Sideload the APK immediatly!  

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-11-9-74-release/

Message 34 of 40
jgille8
Aspirant

I'm on 11.9.75 from Jan 20th and my wifi is still acting up.  Constantly searching for network on my laptop but can connect to the guest one it seems just fine.  So dunno what is cause it to do that, but I got 3 google mini's in December and thats about when this started acting up so thats why I figured it could be related.

Message 35 of 40
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear still needs to come up with a fix for their end... TP-Link, Linksys, and others have done it already... and I have all my CAST devices unplugged, and uninstalled Google Home app from my phone and I am still having issues with the Orbi, so Netgear has another issue to address also

Message 36 of 40
Rip_93
Aspirant

Try uninstalling the home app. Seems to have fixed the issue temporarily for me.
Message 37 of 40
sleepr88
Apprentice

wrote:

Netgear still needs to come up with a fix for their end... TP-Link, Linksys, and others have done it already... and I have all my CAST devices unplugged, and uninstalled Google Home app from my phone and I am still having issues with the Orbi, so Netgear has another issue to address also

Message 38 of 40
Richard1864
Luminary

Sleepr88, you keep claiming other networking vendors have fixed their systems. I keep visiting their forums and see absolutely NO EVIDENCE of that. They’re all still having various issues including the same ones that Netgear is dealing with. Can you please STOP the lies that everyone else has fixed these issues when they obviously have NOT fixed them?
Message 39 of 40
jgille8
Aspirant

I brought my Orbi back and exchanged it for Google WiFi. Might not be as fast wirelessly but I haven't had a drop or a problem since. All my devices are hardwired in my house besides phones and my 2 tablets and a laptop so speed isn't huge deal for those devices. Still getting 121/21mbps so no worries
Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7