Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Google home mini is disconnecting my orbi wifi

dee789
Aspirant

Google home mini is disconnecting my orbi wifi

Recently added 3 google home minis to the network. Since they've been added, my previous rock solid orbi set up [base unit plus 1 satellite] has started to go down about once a day. The wifi shows up as 'connected - no internet' and in the same listing one of the google home minis is listed as open and available to connect e.g. 'living room speaker.ynm'. I can get no internet access over the orbi wifi on any device when this happens. I've had to reboot the whole system and plug out the minis to get the main wifi back. The hard line cable from the orbi to the tv is working perfectly even when the wifi is down.

This is massively frustrating and I'm desperately seeking any solutions please. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Message 1 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Google home mini is disconnecting my orbi wifi

@dee789 wrote:

The wifi shows up as 'connected - no internet' and in the same listing one of the google home minis is listed as open and available to connect e.g. 'living room speaker.ynm'.

Please tell more about where these messages appear (laptop? smartphone? etc.)

Message 2 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

Hi. The message was appearing on my windows 10 laptop, when you click on the wifi symbol on the status bar. The phone fails to connect or says 'can't obtain IP address'. The smart tv flashes up 'no wifi'. The other smart tv is connected via a cable and has no issues. 

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

What about the message about the Google Mini?

Message 4 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

They show up as speakers 'living room speaker.ynm' and 'bedroom speaker.ynm' on the laptop. i've attached a pic

Message 5 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the picture.  I had not realized that Nest speakers broadcasted a WiFi name.  They would have to broadcast during setup so the app can find them for setup, but I imagined that they would quit once they got connected to your WiFi network.  Either, "learn something new every day", or the Nest thinks it needs to be set up.

"Secured" but no internet means that the Orbi WiFi network is available and the device connected.

Looks like it is time to ask the usual questions: exactly what is the Orbi connected to?  (brand/model).  Is the Orbi in router or access point mode?

Message 6 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

It's connected to an Eir F2000 fibre modem, which is a rebranded Huawei HG659b.  The orbi is in access point mode. 

Message 7 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you access the Orbi web interface and look at the Advanced Tab Home Page?  (Ordinarily, I would say point a web browser at http://orbilogin.net, but with the Huawei doing routing and assigning IP addresses, I am not certain that works.)

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

I was going to go off on a tangent about Orbi renewing its DHCP lease, but it seems to me that if that happened, the wired tv would fail as well.  Is it always the same Nest that shows up as "open"?  What happens if that one Nest is not connected for a day or two?

Message 9 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

I can access the orbi login page. the advanced tab shows router information, lan port, wireless settings [general] and main 

Message 10 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I was going to go off on a tangent about Orbi renewing its DHCP lease, but it seems to me that if that happened, the wired tv would fail as well.  Is it always the same Nest that shows up as "open"?  What happens if that one Nest is not connected for a day or two?

No, they vary. All 3 have shown up at different times. I was troubleshooting today and it started with the 1st speaker so i plugged that out, wifi was not available, then the 2nd speaker showed up in the listing, so i plugged that out, then the 3rd speaker popped up and i plugged that out. No wifi available the whole time even after i rebooted the router but when i plugged out the final google mini, orbi was back running the wifi a minute later and it's been rock steady ever since. I left all the minis plugged out since then. 

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

and, it shows the famous Green check mark?  Can you make a note of how long the DHCP lease is for, and calculate what time 1/2 of it will be remaining?  (I know, it is very difficult to diagnose intermittant problems.  "once a day" is irritating as hell, but when it's working correctly, there may be nothing to see.)

Message 12 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@dee789 wrote:

when i plugged out the final google mini, orbi was back running the wifi a minute later and it's been rock steady ever since. I left all the minis plugged out since then. 

Maybe a visit to the Google Nest user forum?

Or, connect only one of the Nests and wait two days?

Message 13 of 21
dee789
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

and, it shows the famous Green check mark?  Can you make a note of how long the DHCP lease is for, and calculate what time 1/2 of it will be remaining?  (I know, it is very difficult to diagnose intermittant problems.  "once a day" is irritating as hell, but when it's working correctly, there may be nothing to see.)

Yes, there's a green check mark on everything. It's been roughly once a day but it could be happening other times when I'm at work. I haven't figured out a pattern yet other than driving me crazy. 

It says lease obtained 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes. lease expires in 2 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes. 

Also, thank you for taking the time to help me. It's very much appreciated. 

it's the google home mini, that's different to the nest isn't it?

Message 14 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Of course, you are correct.  Nest Mini and Home Mini are different.   I have neither and my fingers got ahead of my brain.  They appear to very similar in specs.

Message 15 of 21
schirmat
Guide

Hi I have the exact same problem . Since I upgraded my Google mini to nest mini speakers I'm having disconnection issues.

After discussing a while with various Google support employees turns out the new minis connect with 5ghz and are when in pair mode sensitive about switching one but not the others from 5ghz to 2.4 GHz bands.

I have tested with my old router which can seperate these two bands ( my mesh connect home pro can't) and since then no more disconnection.

I believe the Orbis are able to split these two bands (with an ssid that says 5ghz and one without that mention) try splitting and connecting the minis to the 5ghz ban only to test it out.. hopefully it will help!
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSIDs or splitting of SSIDs IS not supported on Orbi. 

@schirmat wrote:
Hi I have the exact same problem . Since I upgraded my Google mini to nest mini speakers I'm having disconnection issues.

After discussing a while with various Google support employees turns out the new minis connect with 5ghz and are when in pair mode sensitive about switching one but not the others from 5ghz to 2.4 GHz bands.

I have tested with my old router which can seperate these two bands ( my mesh connect home pro can't) and since then no more disconnection.

I believe the Orbis are able to split these two bands (with an ssid that says 5ghz and one without that mention) try splitting and connecting the minis to the 5ghz ban only to test it out.. hopefully it will help!

Message 17 of 21
schirmat
Guide

but do you have two ssid (one 2.4 and one 5ghz) so you can make sure to add all your home devices to the 5ghz only network? According to Google help making sure all the devices are on the same band will solve loosing connection issues

Message 18 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@schirmat wrote:

but do you have two ssid (one 2.4 and one 5ghz) so you can make sure to add all your home devices to the 5ghz only network? According to Google help making sure all the devices are on the same band will solve loosing connection issues

Can you please post a link to this information from Google?

When I search about Google WiFi, I get hits talking about Google WiFi having only "primary and Guest", such as:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/1294742?hl=en 

I have not done an exhaustive search, and I do not own Google WiFi, so a link showing how to do this would be helpful.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

No I don't. I use default and as intended Single SSID for Orbi. I have not run into any device connections or adding a device problem. 

NG has implemented on Orbi AC to allow users to temporarily disable either 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID broadcast which help in getting most 2.4Ghz devices connected during setup. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Also the use of the same SSID name and password from prior used routers also helps in migration from other routers to Orbi systems. I have used the same SSID name and password for years. No issues when I change out routers. 

@schirmat wrote:

Message 20 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dee789 wrote:

Recently added 3 google home minis to the network. Since they've been added, my previous rock solid orbi set up [base unit plus 1 satellite] has started to go down about once a day. The wifi shows up as 'connected - no internet' and in the same listing one of the google home minis is listed as open and available to connect e.g. 'living room speaker.ynm'. I can get no internet access over the orbi wifi on any device when this happens. I've had to reboot the whole system and plug out the minis to get the main wifi back. The hard line cable from the orbi to the tv is working perfectly even when the wifi is down.

This is massively frustrating and I'm desperately seeking any solutions please. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I doubt your Google minis are the problem.  You may wnat to consider your FW - past and present to include the last time there were updates performed and how they occured.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7