Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google products will not connect to Orbi Satellites

Metalhed
Tutor

Google products will not connect to Orbi Satellites

Hi all.  New to this community.  Having a serious issue with my Orbi RBK40 system.

Google devices will not connect to the Orbi Satellites.  They connect instantly to the router but when I move it out of the room with the router, they disconnect and refuse to connect.  So far these devices have problems:  2 Nest Hubs, 1 Nest Hub Max, 2 Chromebooks.  I have the old Google Home speaker and a mini as well and those connect just fine.  We also have 3 Pixel phones (2XL and 4XL) and they connect fine as well.  All other non-Google wifi devices connect just fine with no problems, including 3 Roku TVs, security cameras, smart plugs, about 6 tablets.

So connecting to the router, works perfectly.  Move it away from the router and near a satellite...DEAD.  I mean DEAD DEAD DEAD.  As if I don't have wifi at all even though the router is still within range to provide a signal.  It is as if the satellite has put a force field around these Google devices.

I contacted Google and they have been trying for weeks, yes weeks, having me try all sorts of setting, moving things around etc.  No go.  I have a feeling that Google devices and Orbi are just flat out not compatible and I have to throw away the $300 I spent on the Orbi and get another mesh.

I've tried all the internet solutions, turning on and off things like daisy-chaining, fast routing, MIMO, beam forming, 20/40.  I'm on the latest firmware that matches the router and satellites (2.5.1.16).  I've reduced the signal strength.  I've moved the satellites around.  None of these things have worked.

I've also tried to separate the SSIDs into 2.4 and 5 via Telnet but this will not work on my system.  It just sets it back to one SSID.

I read that the Orbi is not a true mesh system.  I don't know if that's why this does not work.

Does anyone have anything they've tried to get Google devices to work?

This is my last resort.  Otherwise the Orbis will be going into the trash and I'll be buying a new system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Metalhed
Tutor

The mystery has been solved in case anyone has this same issue.  Turns out it was my Roku TVs that were causing the problem.  Each of these Google devices happened to be in a room with a Roku TV.  These Roku TVs have a setting called "Device Options" which has to be turned off.  If this option is on, the TV acts like its own AP and interferes with your wifi signal.  This is a known issue.  If you google "Roku wifi interference," you will find postings about this.

I turned off this setting on my Roku TVs and these Google hubs and Chromebooks have been happily connected since.  Fingers crossed that they will stay this way.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

First off, this has nothing to do with the Orbi system and is the fault of the devices not being setup properly. I say this because Orbi does not care what device you connect wirelessly, as long as it complies with standard WIFI protocol. Besides, logically speaking, all other WIFI products would have the same problem. 

Can you list the exact models you are having issues with? 

The articles about the Orbi you are reading are old. New firmware has the satellites connecting to each other through daisychaining.

Message 2 of 6
Metalhed
Tutor

RBR40/RBS20/RBS20 all on firmware v2.5.1.16.  Daisy-chaining is currently enabled.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Metalhed wrote:

They connect instantly to the router but when I move it out of the room with the router, they disconnect and refuse to connect.  So far these devices have problems:  2 Nest Hubs, 1 Nest Hub Max, 2 Chromebooks.  I have the old Google Home speaker and a mini as well and those connect just fine.  We also have 3 Pixel phones (2XL and 4XL) and they connect fine as well.  All other non-Google wifi devices connect just fine with no problems, including 3 Roku TVs, security cameras, smart plugs, about 6 tablets.

These devices that lose connection when moved away from the router (and reasonably close to a satellite?).....

They are powered off and back on again, correct?

With the Chromebooks, what happens when they are close to a satellite, use the control panel to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search for a WiFi signal and connect to it?

Message 4 of 6
Metalhed
Tutor

These devices that lose connection when moved away from the router (and reasonably close to a satellite?).....  Yes, about 6 feet from the satellite with line of sight.  Router is on another floor.  Even when the device (Nest Hub or Chromebook) are an inch or 2 away, no wifi.

They are powered off and back on again, correct?  Yes, countless times.  Have done factory resets on all the Nest Hubs multiple times.  Still nothing.  But if I put it near the router, instant connection works perfectly.

With the Chromebooks, what happens when they are close to a satellite, use the control panel to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search for a WiFi signal and connect to it?  Even when next to the satellite, it seems to connect but only for a second, then it is gone.  Yes, forgot and then reconnect.  Still doesn't work.

One more weird thing I've noticed.  On the Attached Devices screen under the Connected Orbi column, all devices that work fine show what specific Orbi they are connected to (like Orbi Satellite-1 or Orbi Router) along with their MAC address.  The devices that have problems always show a generic "Orbi Satellite" with no MAC address.  Maybe that's a clue?

Message 5 of 6
Metalhed
Tutor

The mystery has been solved in case anyone has this same issue.  Turns out it was my Roku TVs that were causing the problem.  Each of these Google devices happened to be in a room with a Roku TV.  These Roku TVs have a setting called "Device Options" which has to be turned off.  If this option is on, the TV acts like its own AP and interferes with your wifi signal.  This is a known issue.  If you google "Roku wifi interference," you will find postings about this.

I turned off this setting on my Roku TVs and these Google hubs and Chromebooks have been happily connected since.  Fingers crossed that they will stay this way.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7