Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Grainy Wireless Camera Footage

Drake0508
Star

Grainy Wireless Camera Footage

Hey guys,

I have several Amcrest PTZ cameras. I just set up a Orbi and while the signal is no doubt stronger throughout the house, all of my connected video devices are grainy. This includes my Ring Pro video doorbell. Is this to be expected? If not, anything I can do? Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Your network shouldn't affect image quality.  The video data is digital and is not affected by the network.  I have IP security cameras attached to my Orbi and see no change in image quality.  Your night mode videos will always be grainier than daylight videos, because the cameras operate in low light mode.

That said, if your cameras use some sort of adaptive compression, like H.264, and your connection is poor, then you might see jerky motion and more artificats between frame updates.

Message 2 of 6
Drake0508
Star

Thanks! Sorry, I'm not very technical. I only know when my X6 router was installed everything looked fine. It's strange.
Message 3 of 6
Drake0508
Star

It only gets grainy with motion. That's strange to me as well.
Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

H.264 compression works by sending a complete image frame only infreqeuntly, say every five secods.  In between those complete frames the camera sends only what's changed in the image.  If the image is static, almost no data needs to be transferred.  If something is moving in the frame, a lot more data must be sent.  If the link speed is too slow and frames are dropped, then the image will look jerky or grainy.

Your cameras should have an adjustment to change the image resolution, frames per second, and maybe bitrate.  Adjust those down until you get a smooth video.

I dont know how many cameras you have, and if they are wireless, but if they are wireless then running several at once will tax the wireless network pretty hard.  Your computer and all the cameras need to share the WiFi bandwidth, so the throughput goes way down.  Much better to wire them if you can.

Before I installed my Orbi I had issues with my WiFi camera feeds on the LAN.  They are much smoother with the Orbi.  I don't have them set at the highest resolution though.  They're at 1280x720, 6 fps, 256 kbps. I could set them higher for viewing locally on the LAN, but but that's as fast as I can view them over the Internet, due to my slow WAN upload.

Message 5 of 6
Drake0508
Star

Wow! A lot more to it than I thought. Thanks! Maybe I better just get a wired system.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7