Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Great Forum (Read Threads) Orbi with Gigabit Fiber Wifi Speed Tested

RASHID007
Guide

Great Forum (Read Threads) Orbi with Gigabit Fiber Wifi Speed Tested

Good day all, great forum here with lots of helpful threads that I read.  As a result of those threads and great posts from more senior members I've done some troubleshooting/testing BEFORE posting this thread.

I have Gigabit connection, Orbi RBK50 installed with coverage strong everywhere in my home.  Questions:

1. WIRED Orbi speed test only shows 400mbs, speedtest.net shows 900mbps (the server happens to be my service provider so I'm sure that helps.)  Why is Orbi test so slow for wired?

2. iPhone X getting 250mbps on 5Ghz.  I know 867 is theoretical, should only get 1/2 of that but not getting half on speedtest.net app on iOS.  I can't seem to get iperf3 to work on iOS to test TCP way but wondering why iphone would be only 250mbps on 5Ghz 1 foot away from router or satellite?  Should be over 400mbps that close to Orbi router. 

3. Laptop (Dell XPS13 newer) getting also on 5Ghz only 250mbps on speedtest.net and other tests.  For laptop I could do iperf3 test and that showed laptop getting 600mbps on 5ghz why such a huge spread between iPerf and speedtest.net?  I assume iperf testing speed INTERNAL from wired desktop iperf server to wifi laptop with iperf.  But does that mean external internet speed wise my laptop can only reach 300mbps with Orbi?  Online reviews (and the posts on this forum of veteran users) lead me to believe laptop on 5ghz close range speed test could be 500mbps and iphone 5ghz close range 400 or so mbps.

4. 2.4ghz same questions and tests, basically phone and laptop get 70mbps on 2.4ghz close to Orbi, shouldn't it be more like 50% of 400mpbs on 2.4ghz so 200mbps?

5. Long story short I was expecting 5ghz to be 400mpbs+ and 2.4ghz to be 200mbps+ and I'm only getting half those amounts.

Sorry for long post, lost of info as I've tried many things  Thank you all. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
RASHID007
Guide

Re: Great Forum (Read Threads) Orbi with Gigabit Fiber Wifi Speed Tested

Should also mention that beamforming and MIMO are on, also on the latest firmware. Thanks. 

Message 2 of 5
RASHID007
Guide

Please somebody help. I’ve exhausted every idea I can google. I understand 20Mhz 2.4 May not put at 200mbps but I’m getting less than half of that. No real competing WiFi networks (scanned to confirm) big house on big lot so neighbors not an issue).

And 5Ghz getting 250 to 300mbps vs should be closer to 500mbps. Also iperf test shows internal to network 5Ghz WiFi is capable of almost 700mbps.
Message 3 of 5
RASHID007
Guide

No replies?  Someone please help. 

Message 4 of 5
guzzijason
Apprentice

Have you tried removing the Orbi router from the equation and do a series of speed tests while directly connected to your ISP gateway/router? Your iPerf test seems to indicate that your WiFI is fine, so it's possible that your ISP (or some other hop) beteween you and the external speed test servers is the bottleneck.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7