Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Great performance...form factor more disappointing than expected

brentkeadle
Aspirant

Great performance...form factor more disappointing than expected

The range and speed of this product is amazing. I've got more testing to do in terms of placement (distance between satellites) but so far I don't think I could ask for more. For example, I can get a 60+% signal all the way to the far side of my sport court near my back property line...that is from an indoor satellite transmitting through a very thick, old stone exterior wall with very dense mortar in an old farm house over 180ft away.

The size and form factor is what I'm more than a little disappointed with. The devices are HUGE. I knew the dimensions before I purchased, but until I pulled one out of the box I really just didn't comprehend how big it is...in a time when pretty much every other "mesh" manufacturer is going smaller and less conspicuous. I'm okay with the router being that size but Netgear needs to make a wired (with ethernet backhaul) satellite that is smaller.
The other real disappointment is the shape and size of the power brick. It sticks out about 3 inches when plugged into an outlet (brick actually 2.75 in, plus thickness of the outlet), which doesn't seem like a lot, but when the furniture it sits on has to be 3 inches from the wall it makes a big difference.

RECOMMENDATION for Netgear (would love feedback from them)... Smaller satellite options with 1 or 2 Ethernet ports and PoE install option that can be implemented in wall or ceiling...and a smaller/flatter brick for better placement options. This system is marketed to homes of 5000 square feet. Customers with 5000+ square foot homes can afford a PoE switch or injector and we look for solutions that can be clean (ie. in wall/ceiling with hidden wires). Eero makes a poE adapter for their mesh system that is only available to custom integrators. C'mon Netgear step up for the DIY techies like me and one-up Eero with a PoE solution on a smaller Satellite for the consumer

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
tagteam
Virtuoso

You should post your suggestions on the Idea Exchange (link below) since it will get more play in the section.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Message 2 of 4
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orbi Product Manager here.  

Good feedback -- we've actually been thinking about this a little bit.  have you considered this kit: http://netgear.com/orbi/rbk23w.aspx.  Smaller Router, with 2 Wall Plug Satellites.  Still 5K sq ft coverage.    

We did look at a PoE injector, but it didn't meet the neeeds of the RBK50.  We can however, revist the power adapter to see if we can reshape / resize it.  

Message 3 of 4
brentkeadle
Aspirant

I did look at the plug in Sat's. However I like the ethernet backhaul feature, which those lack. And I like the ability to get the Sat up higher (above furniture, and preferably above bodies). Ceiling or wall install is ideal, I think, for any house 5000sf and larger, especially if they have the option to pull hidden ethernet cables to the ceiling or up a wall. I realize that ceiling is tough, but a lot of newer homes have ethernet pulled to multiple rooms and fishing a few drops up a wall is not a big deal. And if it is a remodel or new home planning for a ceiling install is easy. I'm a fan of Negear products, and I love the performance of this one, but I will likely be going with a different product that offers more of a custom install (unobrtusive wall or ceiling mount) and PoE.   

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7