Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gryphon wifi router connected to orbi satellite slow.

Gabe777
Tutor

Gryphon wifi router connected to orbi satellite slow.

Hi,

My orbi router is connected to my AT&T wifi gateway (fiber 300 Mb) with 2 additional orbi satellites around the house. I was unable to update apps on mobile devices so turned off wifi on AT&T wifi gateway and changed my orbi to an access point. Afterwards, I can update and download apps now on wireless devices.

My question: I have a Gryphon wifi router that I use for parental control/monitoring hooked to an orbi satellite with ethernet cable broadcasting a different SSID than the orbi. The wifi speed test for Gyphon wifi router is much slower than orbi wif speedtest. Why is this happening?

Any advice or solutions to slow wifi on my Gryphon router would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Gryphon wifi router connected to orbi satellite slow.

so just to get this correct.

you're going:

Att gateway---->Orbi router (in ap mode)----->Orbi Satellite----->Gryphon router?

Is this right?

You also don't include much details. What model is this gryphon router? 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Gabe777 wrote:

Hi,

My orbi router is connected to my AT&T wifi gateway (fiber 300 Mb) with 2 additional orbi satellites around the house. I was unable to update apps on mobile devices so turned off wifi on AT&T wifi gateway and changed my orbi to an access point. Afterwards, I can update and download apps now on wireless devices.

My question: I have a Gryphon wifi router that I use for parental control/monitoring hooked to an orbi satellite with ethernet cable broadcasting a different SSID than the orbi. The wifi speed test for Gyphon wifi router is much slower than orbi wif speedtest. Why is this happening?

Any advice or solutions to slow wifi on my Gryphon router would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Message 3 of 8
Gabe777
Tutor

Yes, correct. Gryphon WiFi router AC3000. Any suggestions?

Home is 3 levels. Orbi router is on 1st floor. Satellites on the 2nd, 3rd floors. Gryphon is hooked with 2nd floor satellite with Ethernet cable. Kids are mainly on the 2nd floor where the gryphon is located.
Message 4 of 8
Gabe777
Tutor

Orbi has already been configured to AP mode using your suggestion #3. Any ideas for fixing the slow Gryphon router on 2nd floor which is connected to orbi satellite? Thanks!
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Basically what @FURRYe38 wrote about. You've got the att device acting as router, then the orbi in AP mode (per your prior), and then the gryphon acting in router mode. You're running to many routers, running more than one nat, and probably creating some wifi interference.  A poor choice for stability and performance.

Here's how I'd lay it out if you truly *need* the gryphon. Not sure why you need it as orbi has parental controls. 

Make sure your att gateway is in passthrough or modem only mode. contact att to help you set this up. this will let you run your gryphon with all the parental controls you need.  disable the wifi on it and just use the parental controls. Use the orbi in ap mode as its basically only acting as wireless anyway so have the gryphon by the router and the orbi be the wireless. Orbi should handle plenty of devices.

so like this:

att gateway (passthrough)----->gryphon router (disabled wifi)------>orbi router (ap mode)--->orbi satellites

Message 6 of 8
Gabe777
Tutor

Thank you very much, Plemans.

1. So with the WiFi disabled on Gryphon, I connect the Gryphon with Ethernet cable to the passthrough ATT modem, correct?
2. Just to confirm, I then connect the Orbi router (in AP mode) to the Gryphon with Ethernet cable?
3. Lastly, with the orbi satellites around the house broadcasting WiFi, I will be able to login to Orbi’s SSID and still use Gryphon’s app for parents controls.

Your help is much appreciated.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

That sounds right with the way you've set it up.

this will allow the att device to act as gateway, gryphone as router/parental controls, and orbi as wifi. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7