Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guess network WhatsApp video call fails

Gizmo555
Aspirant

Guess network WhatsApp video call fails

Hi. I’ve got RBR40 + RBS40 + RBW30 system.
When connected to the guest network WhatsApp video calls cannot be made. They ring out continuously but will not connect. There are no issues when connected to the main network. This occurs for all devices with WhatsApp.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too

Message 2 of 7
Gizmo555
Aspirant

Re: Guest network WhatsApp video call fails

RBR40 F/W = V2.2.1.210
RBS40 F/W = V2.2.1.210
RBW30 F/W = V2.2.1.204

Cable Modem is Virgin Hub 3.0

I expect that the phone was connected to the RBW30 when I tested the WhatsApp video call

Thanks

Mark
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest network WhatsApp video call fails

Turn OFF the RBW and RBS and see how the wifi calling works while connected to the Orbi router. Then turn on the 1 satellite and test again.

What mode is the ISP modem operating in? Modem or Modem/router combo? 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 7
DickDuke
Apprentice

@Gizmo555 wrote:
Hi. I’ve got RBR40 + RBS40 + RBW30 system.
When connected to the guest network WhatsApp video calls cannot be made. They ring out continuously but will not connect. There are no issues when connected to the main network. This occurs for all devices with WhatsApp.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Many routers limit the ports and network activity that can be used from a guest network. Since it works fine from the main network this is the most likely cause IMHO. You may be able to enable ports through the control interface, or just use the main network for these calls.

The purpose of a guest network is to protect your network from abuse, which might include a house guest or contractor using up all your data quota by making 2 hour video calls.

Message 5 of 7
dverhoef
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Calls cannot be made nor answered with Whatsapp on the guest network. It just keeps ringing.

I have the RBR50 with 3 satelites: RBS40, RBS50 and RBW30.

My router and satelites run the same firmware versions as yours.

Only the RBW30 has the issues with Whatsapp calls and only on the guest network.

The router and other satelites do not have this problem.

Could this be because the RBW30 runs a different version of firmware? (V2.2.1.204) and the rest version V2.2.1.210?

I have the Orbi running in the AP Mode and alle wireless settings on the router have been turned off.

These issues have been for a couple of weeks aprox.

Hope to get some answers soon.

Thanks for the help

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support about this for additional help and information.

@Blanca_O

@dverhoef wrote:

I have the same issue. Calls cannot be made nor answered with Whatsapp on the guest network. It just keeps ringing.

I have the RBR50 with 3 satelites: RBS40, RBS50 and RBW30.

My router and satelites run the same firmware versions as yours.

Only the RBW30 has the issues with Whatsapp calls and only on the guest network.

The router and other satelites do not have this problem.

Could this be because the RBW30 runs a different version of firmware? (V2.2.1.204) and the rest version V2.2.1.210?

I have the Orbi running in the AP Mode and alle wireless settings on the router have been turned off.

These issues have been for a couple of weeks aprox.

Hope to get some answers soon.

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7