Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest Access Issues

sdunnin
Guide

Guest Access Issues

When enabling the Guest Network on the Orbi (Firmware Version V1.4.0.34) there are a couple of troubling issues.

1. I have SSID Broadcast selected and WPA2-PSK [AES] security selected. When scanning Wifi 2 SSID's are being broadcast for the Network name I chose for the Guest Network. One is secured and one is completely open. Even with the WPA option checked there is an open SSID that anyone can connect to. This is bad.
  2. The option "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is checked and greyed out. I cannot turn it off which I assume means that anyone connecting on the Open wifi network will have access to

NETGEAR Router Orbi.png

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
RonV42
Luminary

Are you running in router mode or access point mode?

Message 2 of 9
sdunnin
Guide

AP Mode

Message 3 of 9
JMU1998
Luminary

I have same issue in AP mode also, for now I had to go back to .16 which is the most stable for now

Message 4 of 9
rhester72
Virtuoso

There is no guest isolation in AP mode.

Rodney

Message 5 of 9
RonV42
Luminary

I think they need to spell this out in big bold letters that AP mode dosn't support guest isolation.

Message 6 of 9
sdunnin
Guide

Is that a feature or a bug?

Message 7 of 9
RonV42
Luminary

Feature,  in AP mode there is no network traffic isolation that is why the checkbox is set and can't be unchecked

Message 8 of 9
sdunnin
Guide

Sounds more like a liability than a feature. I don't think anyone would really want to run a guest network without being able to isolate traffic. I have another wireless router than can do this as an AP.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7