Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest Network Bands

CN1
Follower
Follower

Guest Network Bands

Hi,

Please could someone help me figure out how to seperate the 5G and 2.4G just on my Guest Wifi.

I would like to make my Guest wifi only 2.4 G.

Thanks,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

1. Can't be done from the regular web interface, and
  2. Why? 

Message 2 of 5
wmguest
Aspirant

Can someone please reply to this post?  This woiuld be helpful.  I would like to use 2.4g for Guest wifi for IOT devices.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@wmguest wrote:

I would like to use 2.4g for Guest wifi for IOT devices.

Thanks for the explanation.  Alas, although users have posted methods for using telnet commands to disable various things, restricting the Guest network to 2.4G only has not been one of them.

Is this wanted as a solution to a specfic problem or more of a general practice?  It seems like the majority of IoT devices have only a 2.4G radio in them (cheaper to manufacture?) and thus cannot sense or connect to a 5G WiFi network.  However, they can connect just fine to a mesh network that broadcasts a 2.4G WiFi channel once they know the SSID and password.  It is this step that causes issues for some devices (not all).  I recently connected a Teckin smart plug when the app complained "must have a 2.4G WiFi" by simply entering the SSID and password of my Orbi and pressing "Continue".

Forum users have found solutions for connecting lots of devices, and once they get connected, they operate just fine. 

Message 4 of 5
wmguest
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, that was my problem, some older devices not being able to connect to 2.4 in the mesh.  I decided to trash the old IOT device, get some newer ones and they work well.  Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7