Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest Network not broadcasting through Satellite

VFMass
Aspirant

Guest Network not broadcasting through Satellite

Both Satellite and Router are up-to-date with hte current firmware. what's odd is that the satellite (which is backhauled through ethernet) is showing offline in the app (but connected directly shows it's up and running (and I don't have any issues connecting with it)... except for guest. It looks as though the guest wifi isn't being broadcast through the satellite even though it is working correctly on the router. Thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Guest Network not broadcasting through Satellite

@VFMass wrote:
V2.3.1.60

I think this is one of the issues introduced in 2.3.1.60. I think that something is wrong in the Satellite software. Please try the following:

1. Power off the Satellite. Keep the Ethernet backhaul connected.
  2. Go to "Attached Devices" in the web GUI, and click on "Remove" or "Forget" device for the Satellite that you powered off.
  3. Now power on the Satellite and then use a paper clip to factory reset it.
  4. When the Satellite comes up press the Sync button on the Router and then on the Satellite to connect the Satellite to the Router
  5. That's it, when the Satellite comes up things will continue working as they should! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from  scratch been performed since updating FW? No loading of a saved backup config file? 

Is Daisy Chain enabled. It should be disabled for ethernet connected RBSs. 

Message 2 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

It's a new buy, so the firmware came loaded. I went into the settings and disabled daisychain (I'm assuming if I add a second satellite I will need to have it connected via ethernet now?) but the satellite is still not broadcasting the guest network.  In the settings it shows the SSID for 2.4 and 5 primary, but not guest.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a factory reset on the RBS and re-add it. This time add it via wireless only and see if the Guest Network is seen while it's wireless connected...

What FW version is currently loaded on the system? 

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@VFMass wrote:

It's a new buy, so the firmware came loaded.

Most of the product I purchase "new" have been sitting in the supply chain for some time, and almost always have firmware that is out of date.  Orbi's, IP cameras, Smart Switches, Android phones, laptops, etc.

Message 5 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and connected it wirelessly—it seems to work with the guest network. Interestingly enough, when I connect the ethernet it doesn't work. so, I guess I'll need to just daisychain without ethernet?

Message 6 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

I will note that the "backhaul status" is poor.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 8 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

It's in my office building which includes thick walls—which is why I had the satellite connected via ethernet. Is there any reason for the guest to stop working when the ethernet is connected? 

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

V2.3.1.60

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So you don't get guest network at the RBS when ethernet connected? I presume guest network is running at the RBR when the RBS is ethernet connected? 

Message 12 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@VFMass wrote:
V2.3.1.60

I think this is one of the issues introduced in 2.3.1.60. I think that something is wrong in the Satellite software. Please try the following:

1. Power off the Satellite. Keep the Ethernet backhaul connected.
  2. Go to "Attached Devices" in the web GUI, and click on "Remove" or "Forget" device for the Satellite that you powered off.
  3. Now power on the Satellite and then use a paper clip to factory reset it.
  4. When the Satellite comes up press the Sync button on the Router and then on the Satellite to connect the Satellite to the Router
  5. That's it, when the Satellite comes up things will continue working as they should! Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 15
VFMass
Aspirant

I am surprised that there is such a significant bug that hasn't been resolved yet. Thank you for this.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements