Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest network can't reach some sites?

txbdan
Aspirant

Guest network can't reach some sites?

Hi all,

RBR-50 with RBS-50 satallite. I'm running the latest firmware.

Everythign has been working well except that i recently enabled our guest network. I did this so that we can connect our work computers to it to keep them out of our home network for security reasons. (i read to do this somewhere).

The problem is that while on the guest network, i occasionally can't reach some sites. For example, i couldn't reach altium.com for hours yesterday. Today my company VPN wouldn't connect. Seems sort of random. In each case, if i switched back to my main wifi network, they worked perfectly.

Any idea why this would be? Some kind of DNS issue related only to the guest network?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest network can't reach some sites?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 6
txbdan
Aspirant

Firmware is 2.7.3.22

Not sure the model, but its a Verizon FIOS ONT with gigabit service.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@txbdan wrote:

The problem is that while on the guest network, i occasionally can't reach some sites. For example, i couldn't reach altium.com for hours yesterday. Today my company VPN wouldn't connect. Seems sort of random. In each case, if i switched back to my main wifi network, they worked perfectly.

It would be useful to know "what happens" in these failures.

• My VPN clients produce a log that shows each step in the connection process. Does the company VPN software do that?  Maybe the corporate IT folks could describe a method to create a log that will explain at what step the VPN failed.
  • DNS is indeed one of the first things that comes to mind when there are problems reaching web sites.
    One step in diagnosing DNS issues is to open a DOS command window and attempt to ping some sites by URL (which requires DNS) and by IP, such as:
    ping usc.edu vs ping 68.181.8.136
    ping ibm.com vs ping 104.117.147.80
  • Another tactic is to replace the DNS servers.  Orbi will use DHCP to pass its own IP address to clients as the DNS resolver.
    If the corporate laptops allow you access to the Network Control panel, other DNS servers could be specified, such as
    1.1.1.1  which is CloudFlare, or
    8.8.8.8 which is Google DNS
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance a build in router is at the ONT? Usually there is. 

@txbdan wrote:

Firmware is 2.7.3.22

Not sure the model, but its a Verizon FIOS ONT with gigabit service.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
txbdan
Aspirant

No, its just a ONT/modem, not a router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7