Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest network does not extend thru satellites

Orbi
Star

Guest network does not extend thru satellites

It seems the guest network does not extend thru the satellites. From the satellites you don't even get the guest signal. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Re: Guest network does not extend thru satellites

you must be doing something wrong as if you get something like inssider on your comp and start it up you will initially see 6 orbi transmissions , if you then enable the guest wifi you see an additional 6 guest network transmissions

if you sats are too far away they may not be communicating with the router but then would have the magenta light showing

Message 2 of 6
Orbi
Star

Before you start telling people that they are doing something wrong perhaps you should know what you are talking about.

I'm on firmware V1.4.0.18

I have 2 satellites(rbs50) approx 25 feet from the main router(rbk50).
When I check the wifi signal, at the router I see full bars of both main SSID and Guest SSID
When I walk 20 feet beyond the satellite away from router, I get 0 bar guest and FULL bars main ssid.
(me)---(rbs50)---(rbk50)---(rbs50)
This tells me that the Guest network is not working thru the satellite.
Also when you log into the satellite, you will only see information about main SSID and not the guest network.

Perhaps you dont know what you are talking about.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 6

nah , only been on orbi for 6 months

again get a propper wifi analyzer and see if you have 6 normal transmissions and 6 guest transmissions showing , if you dont the sats not working , if you do something else is wrong

the gest wifi transmission power and channels should match the main transmission power and channels for the main orbi

Message 4 of 6
Orbi
Star

I'm using wifi analyzer on google play, it pretty much confirms my conclusions that the guest network is not extending thru the satellite.  BTW, you're experience is equal to mine with Orbi Guest networks, since it was just recently release so please stop telling people they are doing something wrong when you dont know what you're talking about.

Message 5 of 6
RonV42
Luminary

Actually it does propagagte though the satellites.  Here is my network analysis.  I have two sats and you can see the main router and two sats A_Guest_1  on each device in both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz ranges.

Guest netowrk propagation.png

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7