Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest network not working on the RBR50 + RBW30 mesh system and 2.4Ghz network issue.

hphan1229
Aspirant

Guest network not working on the RBR50 + RBW30 mesh system and 2.4Ghz network issue.

I had the Orbi mesh system that includes the RBR50 router and 2 satellite RBW30 about 2 months.  I've upgraded to the firmware version 2.5.1.8.  I have couple IOT devices (Nest Yale X Lock, Nest thermostat) that only connect to the 2.4Ghz and every couple days, they go offline so I have to reboot the Orbi system couple times to get the devices to be online again.

Another issue that I have since day 1 was that the Guest Network never works.  I can connect to it but couldn't get to the internet.  

Anyone having the same issues?  And suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest network not working on the RBR50 + RBW30 mesh system and 2.4Ghz network issue.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@hphan1229 wrote:

I had the Orbi mesh system that includes the RBR50 router and 2 satellite RBW30 about 2 months.  I've upgraded to the firmware version 2.5.1.8.  I have couple IOT devices (Nest Yale X Lock, Nest thermostat) that only connect to the 2.4Ghz and every couple days, they go offline so I have to reboot the Orbi system couple times to get the devices to be online again.

I assume you know they have gone offline because the smartphone app reports it cannot reach them?
When this happens, does the Orbi show them connected?

Since these devices are sort of "permanent", I would assign them a specific IP address in the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup screen.  Do they have assigned IP's?

Another issue that I have since day 1 was that the Guest Network never works.  I can connect to it but couldn't get to the internet.  

When a device connectes to the guest network, does the Orbi "Attached Devices" show it connected to "Guest"?

Message 3 of 13
pravinvekaria
Aspirant

Regarding the Guest Network, i have the same issue. I have multiple models of Satellites, the one that is causing the issue for Guest WiFi is the RBW30, disconnect that from the power and your guest network will start working! With it connected and if your device has roamed onto that Satelitte then your guest will get an IP address and everything will look fine but you wont be able to get any Internet Access or ping any internal (which is expected on guest) or external (which should work) IP addresses.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@hphan1229 wrote:

Message 5 of 13
seefa29
Aspirant

Another issue that I have since day 1 was that the Guest Network never works. aboutpetguide  I can connect to it but couldn't get to the internet.  

I am having the same issue, did you resolve it.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

You may have noticed that the two posts in February about problems with the Guest network have never been followed up.  It appears to me that the people who started this discussion are no longer participating.

My sense is that you are more likely to get a resolution by starting a new post with a description of the situation.  i.e. which Orbi models, with which firmware version.  A device connects to the Orbi "guest" network and receives an error message instead of a connection?

The more specifics, the more likely it is that someone will have a useful comment.

Message 7 of 13
hphan1229
Aspirant

It's been busy so I have not had time to deal with this but this problem still persists.  Now, I am also experiencing another problem that no devices can access the wifi once every couple days until I reboot the router.  I have not dealt with the Guest network either.

Message 8 of 13
hphan1229
Aspirant

Not yet.  I have tried other suggestions that I found online but didn't seem to help.

Message 9 of 13
hphan1229
Aspirant

@pravinvekaria 

I'll try to see if this works.

Message 10 of 13
hphan1229
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

SURFBoard SB6183

3300 sqft

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

30-40 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I've tried channel 1, 6, and 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5ghz

I can detect about 6 other wifi SIDs from the neighbors.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Done this but no helps.

Not yet.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset, I believe this corrected another users problem with Guest Network not working on theres a while back. 

@hphan1229 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

SURFBoard SB6183

3300 sqft

30-40 ft

I've tried channel 1, 6, and 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5ghz

I can detect about 6 other wifi SIDs from the neighbors.

Done this but no helps.

Not yet.

Message 12 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@hphan1229 wrote:

I've upgraded to the firmware version 2.5.1.8. 

Why??

Lots of problems with 2.5.1.8.   Many have reverted back.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7