Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest network xbox live

rp17
Guide

Guest network xbox live

I have an Orbi RBR40 router with 2 satellites. I have a tenant that uses the guest network that has an Xbox. Xbox live will not work property on the guest network saying there is a problem with toredo or something along those lines. If I connect it to the regular network it works completely fine. Is there a way to enable this on the guest network? Thanks.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Is IP6 enabled?  Try disabiling it if your ISP doesnt support./

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@rp17 wrote:
I have an Orbi RBR40 router with 2 satellites. I have a tenant that uses the guest network that has an Xbox. Xbox live will not work property on the guest network saying there is a problem with toredo or something along those lines. If I connect it to the regular network it works completely fine. Is there a way to enable this on the guest network? Thanks.

Message 3 of 13
rp17
Guide

I’ll check the version of the firmware when I get home but I’m positive it is the newest because I just checked. It is in router mode. It is a tplink-7610. I am pretty sure it’s not a modem issue considering it works fine on the regular WiFi network and just not the guest network. I also tested a guest network on an AirPort Extreme and that works without issue but it is just significantly slower so I don’t want to use it
Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was checking to see if the modem was NAT or not. 

Guest Network should work, however I've seen other posts about Guest Network and how it operates. Seems to do some things a bit differently. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/CAUTION-Orbi-s-Wifi-Guest-Network-does-not-really-isolate-gues...

Can you first try the xbox connected to the main wifi first with Guest Network disable to see if the game console connects here. If it does, then try Guest Network again...

@rp17 wrote:
I’ll check the version of the firmware when I get home but I’m positive it is the newest because I just checked. It is in router mode. It is a tplink-7610. I am pretty sure it’s not a modem issue considering it works fine on the regular WiFi network and just not the guest network. I also tested a guest network on an AirPort Extreme and that works without issue but it is just significantly slower so I don’t want to use it

Message 5 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

The error he referenced was generated from IP6... 

If @rp17  has it enabled and his ISP doesnt support, turn it off.

If his ISP supports IP6 and it is off, turn it on.

Message 6 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

The error he referenced was generated from IP6... 

I agree that Teredo is an IPv6 protocol and enabling/disabling of iPv6 might have an effect on the behavior.

On the other hand since this works fine in the main wifi network but not on the guest network, one thing to check is the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" setting on the Guest Network settings since this is basically the only thing that differenciate the guest network from the main network when it comes to routing.

Message 7 of 13
rp17
Guide

I agree with this but isn’t that basically the point of having the guest account? So they don’t have access to the things on my network?
Message 8 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@rp17 wrote:
I agree with this but isn’t that basically the point of having the guest account? So they don’t have access to the things on my network?

You are right. We are now just trying to identify the root cause of the issue so that we can then think of the best option to solve it. We need now to know which changes in the settings can have an impact on the behavior you're seeing, and that's why we're suggesting those changes.

Message 9 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Did you check the status of IP6

Message 10 of 13
rp17
Guide

It is currently disabled. But like I said it works fine on the regular network and just not the guest so I’m not sure why that would matter?
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of sounds like Guest Network may not be working as mentioned in the link. This maybe effecting how some connections are getting thru NAT and the internet. This maybe inpacting how XBL and port 3074 is access while in GN. Do other devices with the XBL app on a phone get thru to XBL services when connected to the GN? 

After placing the console in the GN, have you rebooted the router and then do a hard reset on the console by pressing the power button until it shuts off, then turn it back on and check the status? 

@rp17 wrote:
It is currently disabled. But like I said it works fine on the regular network and just not the guest so I’m not sure why that would matter?

Message 12 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@rp17 wrote:

I think the issue is that UPnP does not work on devices connected to the guest network becuase "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is disabled.

Please do the following:

1. Connect the Xbox to the main network and make sure it's woring
  2. Please check then the entries that will populate in the UPnP Portmap Table in the UPnP settings
  3. You need now to make a manual port forwardiing of the similar ports that are in the UPnP table for the device while in the guest network. To do this you need to reserv an IP address for the Xbox.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7