Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest wifi's internet not working on Orbi RBS40V Satellite

jejansso
Aspirant

Guest wifi's internet not working on Orbi RBS40V Satellite

I thought I had issues with some of the home automation / IoT items connected to my guest wifi, but after more thorough investigation it seems that the guest wifi's internet access is working when the client device is connected to my Orbi RBR50 router or Orbi RBS20 satellite. So, if I connect to the guest wifi close to my RBR50 or RBS20, the internet access is working, but if I try to connect the same device to the guest wifi close to my Orbi Voice, the guest wifi's internet connection is not working (even though the client device seems to receive same IP settings too).

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, and any tips or tricks how to get this sorted out? I could obviously just turn the RBS40V satellite off which would ensure that none of the IoT devices would connect to the guest wifi via it, but then again I'd lose the extended coverage on the actual wifi network. I guess I could also try disabling the guest wifi on the RBS40V alone - this is perhaps possible via telnet - but I understood that the satellite's individual settings would reset to the ones on the RBR50 router after a restart.

Also it seems that if separating the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz guest wifi SSID's (via telnet) I can get the internet connection to work from the same physical location from the 5 GHz guest wifi, but not from 2.4 GHz.

I tried resetting the Orbi Voice and updating the latest beta firmware V2.5.1.4_1.0.1 to it with no luck. I've been able to reproduce the same issue with my computer (latest Win10 running an ASUS wifi adapter), phone (OnePlus 7 Pro with latest Android updates), SmartThings Hub and Nest Protect smoke detector.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest wifi's internet not working on Orbi RBS40V Satellite

Please post about this over in the Orbi with Voice forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Make sure the RBS40V is in Orbi mode following the quick guide instructions.

Message 3 of 5
jejansso
Aspirant

I tried resetting the Orbi voice and also checked that it is indeed in "Orbi mode" and not in extender mode, but these did not seem to solve the issue. I'm still not able to access the internet from my guest network, when close to the Orbi voice. 😞

As recommended by FURRYe38, I created a new similar topic under the Orbi Voice forums:

Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@jejansso wrote:

I tried resetting the Orbi voice and also checked that it is indeed in "Orbi mode" and not in extender mode, but these did not seem to solve the issue. I'm still not able to access the internet from my guest network, when close to the Orbi voice. 😞

As recommended by FURRYe38, I created a new similar topic under the Orbi Voice forums:

First off the current firmware is V2.5.1.6. I have the same device, updated to V2.5.1.6 and have had not one issue. So the first thing I would do it update firmware. 

I'm sure you have Guest network turned on and SSID broadcasting.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7