Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HDHomeRun

rafael32
Aspirant

HDHomeRun

As always I'm lost. I have a Motorola N450 cable modem, connected to my Orbi with Orbi in AP mode. When I try to set up my HDHomerun DVR it keeps saying to enable SSH. I have searched all over the internet and can not find a way to do this. Is SSH enabled on Orbi or Motorola. The only thing coming up is my Orbi in HDHomerun set up. Any help would be appriciated.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
guzzijason
Apprentice

I took a quick look at  the HDHomerun setup docs, and it says that SSH needs to be enabled on your NAS (network-attached storage). Do you have a NAS? (neither the Orbi nor your N450 are  a NAS)

Message 2 of 10
rafael32
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have a Western Digital Mybook live. I have enanled SSH on it but I still get error message about it not being enabled. I'm at work right now. I'll take a picture of the error when I get home and post it.
Message 3 of 10
AF1E
Guide

I have an HDHomeRun Quatro on my network and the setup was pretty easy.  I had issues with earlier releases of Orbi.  Make sure you are on 2.1.2.18 also make sure UPNP is enabled.  In my configuration, I am using both the Silicon Dust DVR and Plex DVR for now but will switch to pure Plex.  This was because of stability issues I was having. My Plex server is installed on my Synology NAS.  Things have been workng pretty well with both the 2.1.2.10 beta and 2.1.2.18 just released.  So make sure you have the correct version of both HDHomeRun and Orbi.  No need for SSH.  

My HDHomeRun is running 20171221.  

Message 4 of 10
rafael32
Aspirant

Thank you for helping out. Ok so this is my setup. Motorola to Orbi main unit in AP mode. MyBook Live connected to main Orbi and the HDHomerun is also connected to main Orbi. This is the error I receive. MyBook Live Duo , SSH enabled : No. Please enable SSH access on Port 22
Message 5 of 10
AF1E
Guide

In HDHomerun Setup on the DVR tab be sure you don't have "Use Network Attached Storage" checked.  Use this PC for making recordings and if you need to map to that location.  That's what I do for my HDHomeRun DVR.  

On the otherhand my Plex server sees the HDHomerun and with it the Plex manages everything--scheduling, recording, storage.  The HDHomeRun is just a tuner.

Hope that helps. 

Message 6 of 10
rafael32
Aspirant

I did what you said and then got an error message saying a network drive cannot be used for DVR recordings

Message 7 of 10
webminster
Luminary

Really doesn't sound like an Orbi problem, per se... have you considered asking for advice in the SiliconDust forums?

Message 8 of 10
AF1E
Guide

First, ignore what I said.  I am storing on an attached drive currently but I tried to map to a network drive and had the same issue you have.  I tried my Synology NAS and I have to set up SSH to make it work which I had planned to try when I get a chance.  As suggested this is not an Orbi issue so I suggest you either go to the HDHomeRun Forum or a Western Digital Forum.  Good luck

Message 9 of 10
rafael32
Aspirant

Thank you for trying to help me out. I'll go on those other forums and see if I can get it working. Thank you
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7