Highlighted
Aspirant

HELP! Orbi Wall-Plug Whole Home Mesh WiFi System RBK33

Help please! I purchased the Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (RBK33) in January. My FIOS router was just upgraded to support 802.11AC at 100/100Mbps and now my internet is much slower. When disconnecting the Orbi, the internet is really fast but does not reach as far in the house. Is there a fix for this or am I just using old technology now?

Please keep in mind that I am not tech savvy at all so dumb it down for me if you can. Smiley Happy Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Guru

Re: HELP! Orbi Wall-Plug Whole Home Mesh WiFi System RBK33

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I recommend trying option #3...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

@Nickster01 wrote:

My FIOS router was just upgraded to support 802.11AC at 100/100Mbps and now my internet is much slower.

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, by adding the Orbi to FIOS but not changing FIOS, you have two WiFi systems competing with each other and two routers back-to-back, which is generally not a good idea.  (It can work - I did it for over a year - but eventually it causes problems for specific applications, which only went away when I installed an ordinary modem.)

Do the FIOS WiFi and the Orbi WiFi have the same name (SSID)?  (Most people set the Orbi up to have exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the previous WiFi so that their devices will connect automatically and so that they can "go back" to the previous router if they want to.

Since even the new FIOS does not provide as much coverage as the Orbi, the first step is to turn off the FIOS WiFi.  My guess stopping FIOS from being a router is difficult, so the second step is to put the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

I love my Orbi.
Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

So I turned off the FIOS wireless, now there is just the Orbi and there is no change. I changed it to an access point and it's still not any stronger. Now it's back to router mode.

Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

Well, this is strange.  Some suggestions:

• When you open a web browser and go to "speedtest.net" or "fast.com", what speed does it report?
    Using the Orbi
    Using the FIOS
  • Where do you notice the speed being worse than before?
    In the same room as the FIOS and Orbi?
    Elsewhere in the house?
  • The Orbi "wall plug" units are super convenient since they have no cord and need no shelf or furniture to sit on.
    However, most electrical outlets are close to the floor and often close to heavy furniture or appliances.
    Where are your wall units located?
    Each wall unit needs a radio pathway to the router.  The more things between them, the worse the backhaul signal.

There are some things you can do to document what is going on:

• Use a web browser and connect to the Orbi web interface, "orbilogin.com" using the ID "admin" and the administrative password. (not the WiFi password)
    Replace where it reads "index.htm" with "hidden_info.htm".
    This will show the maximum data rate for the 5G and 2.4G channels
  • Turn on telnet access to the router by going to "orgilogin.com" and replace "index.htm" with "debug.htm".
    Use a telnet program to connect to the Orbi at "orbilogin.com"
    Enter this command "satteliteinfo wifi

If this is too technical, I understand

I love my Orbi.
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sitting in my kitchen. The router/Orbi router are down the hall in our office. One satellite is directly above on the top floor, the other is almost directly below in the basement. Upload and download from my browser are both in the 30s. Attached a screen shot from Orbi. Does this help?

Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You need to keep the RBR in AP mode as you already have a router built in to the FIOS modem. Just keep the wifi on the FIOS modem disabled. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

@Nickster01 wrote:

Sitting in my kitchen. The router/Orbi router are down the hall in our office. One satellite is directly above on the top floor, the other is almost directly below in the basement. Upload and download from my browser are both in the 30s. Attached a screen shot from Orbi. Does this help?

Well, darn.  What are you testing speed with?  Wish it could be in the same room (temporarily) as the Orbi router.

@FURRYe38is correct.  The Orbi should be in AP mode, although that is not likely to be causing a speed issue.

Do you ever use the Orbi "app"?

I love my Orbi.
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 My house is about 4k sqft I think. LOTS of wifi neighbors; everyone has FIOS as mandated by our HOA. Pretty sure the satellites are within 30ft.

I turned off the wifi on the FIOS modem and put the Orbi on AP mode but it made the internet even slower. Does it take time to get faster??

@CrimpOnyes, I also have/use the Orbi app.

Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

@Nickster01 wrote:

yes, I also have/use the Orbi app.

One of the (in my opinion) few ways the Orbi "app" is better than the web interface is that it shows the "Link Rate" for each device as a number instead of a picture of "bars".  This leads me to ask: what does the app show for the Link Rate for the device in the kitchen that is showing 30mb up/down?  And, which network is it connected to (2.3G or 5G)?

I love my Orbi.
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

How do I find out what it's connected to (2.5 or 5g)? There's only one network.
Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

Both the Orbi web interface and the Orbi app will show which channel the device is connected to.  The only difference is that the app shows the Link Rate as a number.

I love my Orbi.
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ahh it's on 2.4ghz. How do I fix that? Will that fix the speed problem?
Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

The screen shot of "hidden_info" showed the 2.4G connection rate as 400mb, correct?

What is the device that is being used in the kitchen?  Does the device support 5G?

I love my Orbi.
Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I assume so. It's a laptop. Microsoft Surface.
Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

Yes, a Microsoft Surface should support 5G WiFi.  Can you open the WiFi box and tell the surface to "forget" the Orbi, then scan again for WiFi networks?

I love my Orbi.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements