Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HI, I have an ORBI RBR850 it doesn't seen to be assigning IP addresses to wired devices.

Tony_McDonell
Aspirant

HI, I have an ORBI RBR850 it doesn't seen to be assigning IP addresses to wired devices.

My RBR850 is not allowing wired devices on my network to be assigned IP addresses.

My router is configured with 15 mac addresses that get static IP addresses, most of these are wired, TV, Amp, DVD etc, they are all connected to a netgear switch, which connects to a CISCO SG100-16 switch which connects to the ORBI, IP range is from 192.168.2.4 to 192.168.2.99 for these devices. I have tried to connect just the TV directly to the ORBI but still no luck with an IP assignment. I have also taken the TV off DHCP and assigned a static IP (Same as what the router should have assigned) but still no access to the internet. When I connect the the TV to the wireless network it connects but i doesn't get the reserved address, 2.9. Interestingly my laptop does get its reserved address.......2.30? but I can't ping it from another PC, actuall I can't ping anything within the address reservation table?    

DHCP range is 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200

Rebooting the router doesn't help.

I have no idea what is going on here, I haven't done a factory reset but its next on the list. I thought I post here first before starting from scratch.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

I should add this all happened suddenly, It was working when I went to bed, woke up in the AM and it wasn't 🙂

Message 1 of 12
Tony_McDonell
Aspirant

Re: HI, I have an ORBI RBR850 it doesn't seem to be assigning IP addresses to wired devices.

RBR850 Firmware Version
V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: HI, I have an ORBI RBR850 it doesn't seen to be assigning IP addresses to wired devices.

Does the TV have different MAC addresses for the ethernet and WiFi interfaces? Orbi IP assignment is strictly by MAC address, so if they are different..... they are different!

An interesting choice for the Orbi IP subnet to be 192.168.2.x, rather than the more typical 192.168.1.x  Is the Orbi (gateway) 192.168.2.1?

Message 3 of 12
Tony_McDonell
Aspirant

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Yes your right, the MAC address on the TV is differernt for the wired v wireless. That answers that question.

I used 2. for the network here at our farm as we have another place in Sydney that uses 1. I didnt want any IP confilcts if I ever put a VPN between the 2 places.

Yes the ORBI uses 2.1, I have another 2 routers set up as wireless gateways, one in my shed and the other in the old shearing shed, only the ORBI is configured at a DHCP server. The other routers use 2.2 and 2.3.

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

On the older residential Orbi, I would use the debug option to capture the LAN/WAN traffic.

i.e. http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm

After it starts capturing, I would power up a bunch of devices so that they go through the DHCP process.

Then, save the file to my PC and open the file lan.pcap (inside the zip file) with Wireshark.

Set a display filter of dhcp on Wireshark and it should show all of the devices going through the DHCP process.

i.e. request, offer, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol 

If the DHCP traffic does not get captured at the Orbi LAN interface, "The game's afoot."

Either the Netgear or Cisco switch is blocking DHCP.  Maybe there is a VLAN set up by accident?

I keep a 50ft ethernet cable on hand so that I can connect devices directly to the LAN port on the Orbi router.

(a 100ft cable is about $20US, but my house is so small I have never needed one that long.)

The DHCP offer should show:

• The IP address offered
  • Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway address of 192.168.2.1

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Also (on the original Orbi) DHCP  assignments are written to the Orbi Log (web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration Menu, Logs.

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I neglected to point out that Netgear has created a separate community forum for the "AX" products:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol 

It is always possible that the AX Orbi routers are somehow "different" than the previous models in the way they handle DHCP.  Just personally, I don't see how this could be.  But, I am frequently mistaken about things.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Tony_McDonell wrote:

My RBR850 is not allowing wired devices on my network to be assigned IP addresses.

My router is configured with 15 mac addresses that get static IP addresses, most of these are wired, TV, Amp, DVD etc, they are all connected to a netgear switch, which connects to a CISCO SG100-16 switch which connects to the ORBI, IP range is from 192.168.2.4 to 192.168.2.99 for these devices. I have tried to connect just the TV directly to the ORBI but still no luck with an IP assignment. I have also taken the TV off DHCP and assigned a static IP (Same as what the router should have assigned) but still no access to the internet. When I connect the the TV to the wireless network it connects but i doesn't get the reserved address, 2.9. Interestingly my laptop does get its reserved address.......2.30? but I can't ping it from another PC, actuall I can't ping anything within the address reservation table?    

DHCP range is 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200

Rebooting the router doesn't help.

I have no idea what is going on here, I haven't done a factory reset but its next on the list. I thought I post here first before starting from scratch.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

I should add this all happened suddenly, It was working when I went to bed, woke up in the AM and it wasn't 🙂

Message 8 of 12
Tony_McDonell
Aspirant

I have connected both the TV and a server directly to the ORBI, no assignment of IP addresses occured.

Thanks for the link to the other AX community, I'll post there. And thanks for your help

I also attached the log file.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tony_McDonell wrote:

I have connected both the TV and a server directly to the ORBI, no assignment of IP addresses occured.

Very strange. The Orbi seems to be assigning IP's both to devices in the "assigned" group (6,30) and in the DHCP group (102,106,110,111,112,150,151). What could be different about the TV and the server?

They are both configured to use DHCP for the ethernet connection?

Cables have been swapped "just in case"?

unlike "things that are portable", it is not practical to move them to another network and see if they connect there.

I have kept several older routers in a box for experiments. I plug one into the Orbi and then connect things to it for tests. The subnet would be different, but something connected to one of these routers should get an IP through DHCP.

Message 11 of 12
Tony_McDonell
Aspirant

2.6 is a canon printer in the office, its wired and configured with the 2.6 IP internally, I only added it to the reservations so I knew what it was. 2.30 is a wireless conection to my laptop.

I might take the server off DHCP and see if it connects. When I did this to the TV it still didn't have internet access.

And I'll move this to the other community..............

Just checked my router is a AX6000

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7