Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED ANOTHER ORBI EXTENDER?

wolfereeno
Apprentice

HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED ANOTHER ORBI EXTENDER?

I have a fairly new Orbi RbR50 + Satelite in a duplex apt with the satelite upstairs.   

When upstairs, the wifi signals on my devices seem strong based on the devices indicator, but performance can be slow in some areas.  I've tried moving the extender around with no major change.  It seems to have a good connection to the base.  The performance seems to be bad mainly in a location where both the extender and base might have equal signal - so perhaps there's some fighting over the connection?   How do you diagnose or optimise such a thing?

I've toyed with adding a second router upstairs, with one at each end of the space, but before I do that I want to make sure I have the current setup figured out.

I installed the latest firmware today but haven't done much testing yet.

Thx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Has a full power cycle of the system been performed after the FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
wolfereeno
Apprentice

Latest Orbi firmware 2.3.5.30.  Didn't do a power recycle.  I let the Orbi do its regular reset.  I'll try powering it off/on later.

Aris TG1672G modem

The home is about 1500 sq feet.  There's also some outdoor space.   The routers are now about 50' feet apart.  If I move it closer to the base, I'll loose a lot of signal to the outdoor deck.  If I got another extender, it would be to handle that scenario.  

There are TONS of wifi signals all around me.  I live in a big city.   I count 30 right now.

Channels for 2.4 is set to Auto, 5G set to 48.  Is it faster to set a specific channel?

beamforming is on but not mimo or fast roaming.  WMM is on.

Daisy Chain topology is on

Preamble mode is automatic.

Thanks!!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@wolfereeno wrote:

Latest Orbi firmware 2.3.5.30.  Didn't do a power recycle.  I let the Orbi do its regular reset.  I'll try powering it off/on later. Please try this. 

Aris TG1672G modem

This is a gatway modem which also has built in router and WiFi.This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

The home is about 1500 sq feet.  There's also some outdoor space.   The routers are now about 50' feet apart.  If I move it closer to the base, I'll loose a lot of signal to the outdoor deck.  If I got another extender, it would be to handle that scenario.  

Distance is good if your getting good signal and operation there. 

There are TONS of wifi signals all around me.  I live in a big city.   I count 30 right now. This could be a factor in good wifi operations.

Channels for 2.4 is set to Auto, 5G set to 48.  Is it faster to set a specific channel?

Being that your in a high populated wifi neighborhood, yes. You may need to lower the power output of the wifi radios from 100% to say 75 or 50% as a troubleshooting step. 

beamforming is on but not mimo or fast roaming.  WMM is on.

Daisy Chain topology is on. Disdable Daisy Chain when using just 1 satellite. 

Preamble mode is automatic.

Message 4 of 9
wolfereeno
Apprentice

Thanks!  Re the Arris - the WIFI's off.   I'm not sure how to configure other things like transparent bridge mode however.   I guess putting the orbi in AP is the best option out of the 3.  

Not sure regarding lowering the wifi radio signal for troubleshooting.  I can lower the radios but what would that test?   

Thanks so much for your thorough replies!

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can contact Arris or the ISP and they wil have information on weather the modem can be bridged or not. I believe it can be. However for ease of use, AP mode would be easiest.

Lowering of radio power can reduce the wifi broadcast foot print so that other wifi signals don't interfere as much when in crouded wifi neighborhoods. Just a last resort kind of thing if you only need to. 

Message 6 of 9
wolfereeno
Apprentice

Thanks!

I was able to turn the Arris into bridge mode.  Wasn't that hard.  I just had to temporarily turn on and connect to it's wifi and then login.   So I did that and turned on Router mode on the Orbi.   

Used wirelessNetView to see that the channel I'm using is pretty clear. 

We'll see if things are better, but so far I can really only go by observation.  Are there any utils I can run on a pc, mac, or phone to get a metric about performance and signal strength?

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@wolfereeno wrote:

Are there any utils I can run on a pc, mac, or phone to get a metric about performance and signal strength?

I like WifiInfoView for Windows.  Gives a lot of information about every access point it finds, including the "Country Code" if the AP is broadcasting one.  For Android, I like WiFi Analyzer.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got the modem bridged. Now you can enjoy all the Orbi features. 

I use wifi sweetspots on my iphone and WiFi Analyzer on my Android pad. There are several analyzers available for Pads, if you have one. 

@wolfereeno wrote:

Thanks!

I was able to turn the Arris into bridge mode.  Wasn't that hard.  I just had to temporarily turn on and connect to it's wifi and then login.   So I did that and turned on Router mode on the Orbi.   

Used wirelessNetView to see that the channel I'm using is pretty clear. 

We'll see if things are better, but so far I can really only go by observation.  Are there any utils I can run on a pc, mac, or phone to get a metric about performance and signal strength?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7