Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HOW FAR APART can router satellite be?

tgiv
Aspirant

HOW FAR APART can router satellite be?

So I am reading a "solved" question that never gets a straight answer, not even one "if everything were perfect" one, just generizations & what ifs and don't-blame-me-later due to a wrong answer ... 1 Kudo earned, really?.  UGH  

Again

HOW FAR APART can router satellite be?

1. in order for a GOOD signal be reported

2. for highest speed internet produced

I would expect a manufacturer rep/tech to KNOW this, if only IDEAL conditions, e.g. open air field, line of sight or across a lake, line of sight as one posted in the referenced community Q that failed to gain any answer in feet.

Next up would be through single/dbl pane glass (windows), as this distance could solve many problems and cut down on tech support woes, put the cokkies on the bottom shelf.

After that I DO understand as architect the implications of hurtles such as sheetrock, wood studs, even insulation, especially foil faced, then metal roofs ... similar to cell phone woes.  Here I see generalizations might apply BUT no solutions ever given, e.g. cut a piece of that foil out to create "line of sight" to a brother satellite or mother router!  

What about bouncing sigals off sheetrcok walls, ala billards? ,,, and other ideas that have worked for others?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: HOW FAR APART can router satellite be?

Beginning distance between router and satellite should start at 30-40 feet. A wif router alone can handle up to 30-40 feet range. Line of site is always best however, 2-3 Wooden and sheet rock walls can still not impact signals. Concrete and metal embedded walls will impact signal.

I have a 5000sq ft home and have my 1 satellite at the opposite end of the house 40 feet in between. Coverage, range and performance is great. 3 wooden walls in between.

Size of home is important as well small size, a router alone can handle most of this coverage. Mid to large size, then you need to place a satellite in low signal or dead areas.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7