Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HOW TO DISABLE 5G TEMPORARILY ON ORBI ROUTER

st_shaw
Master

@OzzzieMike wrote:

Thanks for simplifing how to accomplish this.  I'm needing to do the same thing to connect my smart applicance (Whirlpool microwave), as it only works on the 2.4GHz band, and my phone must be on this same band during setup.

I'm not clear, though, on Steps 4 and 5 in your table.  Are you on a Mac?  (I am, and am wondering if that's what MA means in step 4?)  And in step 5, is that what we enter in Terminal?

Yes, MAC means Macintosh.

On the command line in terminal you enter: nc orbilogin.com 23

This is the "netcat" command using tcp port 23 to connect to orbilogin.com.   Apple removed telnet so you cannot use that.  Telnet uses tcp port 23.

Message 26 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Thanks for clarifying things for me!  I'll be trying this in the next day or two.

FYI...I was able to talk to Netgear tech support, who initially told me to check I was on the correct orbilogin.net page section, as she was sure there was a means of unchecking the 5GHz radio.  I verified that there was no such button, and she then suggested lowering the 5GHz radio power to 25% and trying that.  I asked that she push this issue over to their software engineers, as it seems several of us kinda need this functionality.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 27 of 129
FURRYe38
Guru

There are free telnet programs for Mac out there. I use ZOC from www.emtec.com/zoc

Runs nicely on my Mac Book Pro 2008

@st_shaw wrote:

@OzzzieMike wrote:

Thanks for simplifing how to accomplish this.  I'm needing to do the same thing to connect my smart applicance (Whirlpool microwave), as it only works on the 2.4GHz band, and my phone must be on this same band during setup.

I'm not clear, though, on Steps 4 and 5 in your table.  Are you on a Mac?  (I am, and am wondering if that's what MA means in step 4?)  And in step 5, is that what we enter in Terminal?

Yes, MAC means Macintosh.

On the command line in terminal you enter: nc orbilogin.com 23

This is the "netcat" command using tcp port 23 to connect to orbilogin.com.   Apple removed telnet so you cannot use that.  Telnet uses tcp port 23.

Message 28 of 129
guzzijason2
Guide

I missed this question before, but no - it is not practical to try and use this as a permanent solution. There is some sort of watchdog process on the Orbi which is constantly checking the status of the interfaces, and bringing them back online if they happen to be shut down. This workaround fights against that watchdog, but you really wouldn't want to do that long-term.

@ChihSiang wrote:

Hi, can i use this method to disable the 5hz band permanently?

Message 29 of 129
guzzijason2
Guide

I'm still really perplexed about this phenomenon. There is no techncial reason why the phone (app) and "smart" (I use that term *very* loosely) appliance need to be on the same band. I think that these... ahem... "smart" developers are making some incredibly stupid assumptions about how WiFi networks and clients work. The only thing I can think of is that the phone app tries to "copy" it's local WiFI config setting to the... (ugh!)... "smart" appliance, including band (???) for some reason, and because the phone is on 5GHz and the..... "smart" appliance doesn't know what 5GHz even is, so it fails. In which case, smart appliance has stupid developers.

At any rate, I hope this hacky work-around helps. Ultimately, "smart" appliance devs need to account for this use case, because it's going to become more and more common.

@OzzzieMike wrote:

Message 30 of 129
cpasq
Initiate

Hi OzzzieMike,

Something strange happened with the formatting on the table in my earlier reply. The right side is cut off. 😞

If you reply to that message, when it quotes my original message, you will be able to see the full text.

Yes, I am on a MAC.

Step 5 is what you enter in on the terminal.

Message 31 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

I was able to temporarily disconnect the 5GHz radio on my Orbi router...long enough to find out that my Whirlpool applicance still wouldn't connect via the Whirlpool app. 

I think the only thing I can do at this point is to wait for:

• A Whirpool tech support person who actually understands WiFi and does't have to read from a troubleshooting script.
  • Netgear to push out a new app or web page functionality that provides functionality for turning off the 5GHz radio. (And for all Netgear tech support personnel to be familiar with the fact that this isn't possible for the Orbi via the web interface).

Many thanks for providing the instructions for shutting off the 5GHz radio temporarily.

Message 32 of 129
FURRYe38
Guru

Something else to consider, maybe the client device just is not wirelessly compatible with Orbi systems. Something you should ask the Mfr. Most devices do work with the Orbi systems. However there seem to be a few that don't.

Did you disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, and Fast Roaming or change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.?

Can try these suggestions, if the device still fails to connect, I would contact the Mfr of the device and ask for more help and information. NG is problably not going to introduce any kind of radio disable feature since MESH is designed for both radios to be enabled using Smart Connect. This comes from the 3rd party vendor who develops Smart Connect to work on MESH configurations.

@OzzzieMike wrote:

I was able to temporarily disconnect the 5GHz radio on my Orbi router...long enough to find out that my Whirlpool applicance still wouldn't connect via the Whirlpool app. 

I think the only thing I can do at this point is to wait for:

• A Whirpool tech support person who actually understands WiFi and does't have to read from a troubleshooting script.
  • Netgear to push out a new app or web page functionality that provides functionality for turning off the 5GHz radio. (And for all Netgear tech support personnel to be familiar with the fact that this isn't possible for the Orbi via the web interface).

Many thanks for providing the instructions for shutting off the 5GHz radio temporarily.

Message 33 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

After sending them an email asking if they planned to continue efforts to resolve my connection issue, I received a call from their support team.  (A different one this time).

After going thru several iterations with some changes each time, and learning some things (I didn't know the Sync button on the back of the Orbi satellite also serves a WPS function!), I'm not much farther along that before, but with one change:

My appliance now shows it's connected to WiFi, and Whirlpool sees it's connected at their end. However, I'm not able to do anything with it, as we weren't able to connect the app to the appliance. The tech working with me said he was going to escalate this to their developers and someone would call me back.

All signs indicate the problem doesn't lie with the Orbi system or the appliance itself, but with the app.

I'll update this thread if/when Whirlpool calls me back.

Message 34 of 129
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope they can figure it out.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck.

@OzzzieMike wrote:

After sending them an email asking if they planned to continue efforts to resolve my connection issue, I received a call from their support team.  (A different one this time).

After going thru several iterations with some changes each time, and learning some things (I didn't know the Sync button on the back of the Orbi satellite also serves a WPS function!), I'm not much farther along that before, but with one change:

My appliance now shows it's connected to WiFi, and Whirlpool sees it's connected at their end. However, I'm not able to do anything with it, as we weren't able to connect the app to the appliance. The tech working with me said he was going to escalate this to their developers and someone would call me back.

All signs indicate the problem doesn't lie with the Orbi system or the appliance itself, but with the app.

I'll update this thread if/when Whirlpool calls me back.

Message 35 of 129
st_shaw
Master

@OzzzieMike Try turning off all your satellites, so only the Orbi router is running, then doing the setup.  I've found that sometimes works for setting up devices that have problems.

Message 36 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

I may try disabling 5GHz and turning off the satellite tomorrow, then trying to get the app connected to the appliance.  (I noted the Whirlpool app was updated later today after my session with Whirlpool...perhaps they squashed a bug that helps this, too).

Message 37 of 129
Kmaan
Aspirant

Great solution, Kudos! I have a RBK50 and two RBW30 connected together to form a mesh system. Due to the evergreen wifi dropouts we've been hearing for a long time, I decided to separate the  2.4 GHz and 5 GHz  (using telnet) . I still couldn't figure out how to keep separate passwords for the two speeds? Anyone out there had any luck to do this using telnet?

Appreciate your feedbacks/experiences!!!

Message 38 of 129
bebebla
Tutor

Can somebody please give me a tone down version for somebody who is not that saavy about commands etc.  I see the instruction, but can't even figure out how to get to telnet and run the command.  I am trying to connect  Deebot device, and need to get my Orbi to provide 2.4 only. Please help

Message 39 of 129
bebebla
Tutor

....telnet to router...

how do I do this? 

Message 40 of 129
st_shaw
Master

Message 41 of 129
ajlabora
Aspirant

Go to the advanced tab on the web settings for your router and on the left you will see towards the bottom a line that reads advanced setup. Click on the + singn and then on the wireless settings. From there all should be self explanatory. When you are done configuring your 2.4 device come back and renable all the way it was before.

You are now back where you started.

Hope this helps. 

Message 42 of 129
email2rick
Aspirant

Thank you so much! After an hour trying to find the answer, I now have my La Crosse wifi projection clock working too! 

Message 43 of 129
asneely
Aspirant

Thanks so much for this information.  I was able to get two Tan Tan Smart Sockets working tonight.  Without this workaround I would have had to take them back.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 44 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

I still haven't had any luck with Whirlpool on this.  They say they've changed some things on their back end and want me to try connecting both the appliance and my iPhone to the same 2.4GHz network, which I told them I'd do.

Is there a limit to the number of seconds the 5GHz network can be turned off?  Your example shows it how to disable it for 300 seconds, but I suspect I'll need to use a much larger number, as Whirlpool wants me to call them after I've disabled the 5GHz radio.

Message 45 of 129
guzzijason2
Guide

Yes, you can increase the number of seconds to something larger if need be.

Message 46 of 129
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Thanks.  I went ahead and entered 1200 as the timeout setting, and it took it.

After setting this, I was on the phone with Whirlpool, as they felt it should work fine since both my iPhone and appliance were now on the same 2.4GHz band. (As I thought might happen, I had to run the Telnet script again while I was on the phone, as it had timed out after 1200 seconds).

Unfortunately, the setup fails (as it ALWAYS has) at the last step, where it has my phone connect to the appliance's WiFi network.  And at this point (as ALWAYS) my phone displays a notice saying it's unable to join the applicance's network.

Whirlpool told me they will update my ticket and let their developer(s?) know it still doesn't work.

I have a sinking feeling this applicance will NEVER work with the Orbi system!

Message 47 of 129
eborchardt
Aspirant

I cannot thank you enough. It is a shame they don't make this available through the GUI. I have some smart outlets that can only connect to 2.4ghz and require my phone to be on the same band for setup. I don't have any phones that don't connect to 5ghz and I was completely stuck until I found your telnet advice. 

Message 48 of 129
Vacek
Aspirant

Thank you for providing the steps to follow. I am stuck at step 5 and was hoping you might have some insight. 

After entering nc orbilogin.com 23 into Terminal I receive the following error:

Aarons-MacBook-Air:~ aaronvacek$ nc orbilogin.com 23

nc: getaddrinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

I am not prompted to enter my username or password. Any advice?

Thanks so much for any and all help.

Message 49 of 129
ajlabora
Aspirant

Forget about that. That is the super expert procedure and make 0 sense for low techie people. Look for my method. No time limit. You can go back forth at will.
How this helps.
Message 50 of 129
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7