Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 ethernet connected printer not recognized

gr8campr
Tutor

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 ethernet connected printer not recognized

Good morning!

I am wondering (and hoping) if someone on the forum, or a moderator, can help me and point me in the right direction on this issue.

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK43 to cover 6,000 sq in house.  I had to replace an older Netgear N600 that lost ability to communicate with a Netgear WiFi extender (the extender went bad as well).  In my home office, I have my main computer running Windows 10 Home with all Windows updates, hardwired into the network, and have a DSL modem (Netgear Model 7550 from Frontier), the Orbi RBR40 router, and a Netgear switch.  I also have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 All in One printer connected to the network/internet wth an ethernet cable.

With my prior setup, I was able to recognize the HP 8600 printer in the ADD PRINTER/SCANNER in settings.  Once I installed the Orbi router and connected the ethernet cable to the router or switch, I lost the ability to add the printer, and the only way to connect the printer was to bypass the Orbi router and switch, and hook the ethernet cable directly to the DSL modem, and assign it the IP address shown on the printer.  This works, and I have all the functions available when using the printer; BUT, I lost the bility to have it recognized on the network and the ability to select the HP printer as an option when using the print option on wireless device (iPhones/iPads).  I have to disconnect from the Orbi WiFi and switch to the HP-Print-31-Officejet Pro 8600 Wifi Connection.

This is not a super severe problem, but it was easier for us to just select the printer when trying to print out a message or a menu, and hving to switch back and forth, if one forgets, then we are using our phone data, and we prefer to only have the 4 GB/month through our phone plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions/remedies/fixes for this problem?  I have uninstalled the printer and the printer software, rebooted main computer and printer, disconnected the printer, downloaded and installed the printer drivers and such from HP website, reset the printer to defaults, tried connecting to the switch AND the router, to no avail.  The printer shows up on the Orbi app, but the computer doesn't recognize that there is the HP 8600 printer connected to the hard wired network.  Again, the only way to get the printer to work, and be recognized by the main desktop computer is to connect it directly to the Netgear Model 7550 DSP modem ethernet port.

I would appreciate any input and help in trying to resolve this issue.  I have searched online for anything, and all I could find was info about wireless (WiFi) printing with the Orbi.

It would be nice to be able to get this back to what I am used to and to simplify matters for my wife and others in the household.

I will try to keep an eye on the replies to this post, since this is the first time I have posted here, and unsure whether an email notification will be sent to me when a reply is made to my request (I do see where I can check a box to email me when someone replies).

I hope I have provided adequate information to go on; if not, please let me know what info you need.

Thank you in advance!

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 ethernet connected printer not recognized

Just to confirm the theory of two routers:
- What IP address do you see assigned to the printer when hooked to Orbi (you can see this in the Orbi app)?
- What is the IP address assigned to the computer you’re trying to add the printer to?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

If you get the pronter to work when connecting it to the DSL modem then I understand that the DSL modem is also acting as a rounter, right?

Is your Orbi set to AP mode or Router mode? You can only have one router in the network for your setup to work properly.

Message 2 of 6
gr8campr
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

I went through FAQs and such, and cannot find any instructions on how to switch to AP mode (Access Point) on my model. As for the modem, I'm not using it as a router (I don't think), just access to Internet. When trying to get the printer, it won't locate it, and asks foreither an IP address or host name, which I enter each one in (separately), and it says it can't find it (something about it can't be on the same as the network?), if that makes any sense.

I'd appreciate a simple fix, if possible.

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Just to confirm the theory of two routers:
- What IP address do you see assigned to the printer when hooked to Orbi (you can see this in the Orbi app)?
- What is the IP address assigned to the computer you’re trying to add the printer to?
Message 4 of 6
gr8campr
Tutor

Okay, just checked:

With the printer hooked up to an ethernet port on the DSL modem, the IP address is:  192.168.254.27

With the printer plugged into the Orbi ethernet port, the IP address is:  192.168.1.2

I did by happenstance swing by the Orbi wesbite and looked for the AP issue, and when I went to the router login, I did get the following message:

You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

I did go to the Orbi website on my iPhone, and was able to switch to AP mode and all the settings.  Still nothing.  I was able to print to the printer using the PRINT option, just like I was before, but the computer cn't find the printer to add it.

Yet, I am connected to the internet, and the connections in the back of the Orbi router have the INTERNET IN connection, which is an ethernet cable in from the modem to the Orbi.  My printer is hooked up to the Orbi Router or switch, and nothing.  My computer is hooked up to the DSL modem.......  Hmmmmmmmm......  that got me thinking about what you stated about two different routers.

Just reconnected it to the switch instead of the DSL modem, and did a check, and PRESTO!!!!!!!!!!!

ekhalil-  Thank you very much for getting me on the right track.  Everything is working great, print/scan from computer, and also from my iPhones and iPads here in the house.  I greatly appreciate your guidance, I'm not that brain dead, but was flustered that it worked previously with my other Netgear N600 router - I hadn't made any changes from the cables plugged in.  Plus, I was thinking that the printer had to be plugged in via ethernet cable in order to work.

Again, I most SINCERELY appreciate your expert guidance in getting this to work.  I guess that Netgear would be MOST HIGHLY advised to maybe put an FAQ out stating the fact that, "if one is currently using a networked printer that is WiFi capable (similar to the OfficeJet Pro 8600), that one must connect that printer to the WiFi network after removing the ethernet cable, and connect said printer to the WiFi network following the manufacturer's instructions, and ensure that the main computer is not hooked up to the DSL modem, but either to the Orbi router, or through a switch."

Thank you very much!  You have been very helpful!

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Great that your setup is working as you want it now.
I’m glad that I could help.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7