Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardware Failure

RobertV1966
Tutor

Hardware Failure

Hello,

This is more of a buyer beware issue rather than a problem that can be solved using other customer experiences. I purchase an Orbi Router/ Satellite package from Best Buy on January 28, 2019. Approximately 3 weeks into owning the new setup, the satellite disconnected from the router. I attempted numerous times to reconnect the satellite with the router with no success. Thinking I would have to perform a new setup to get this to work, I postponed this until I had some spare time (since the router still worked). Today (3/10/19) I discovered that this is a hardware issue with the satellite after I worked with their technical support team for apprimately 30 minutes. I was disappointed to learn learn that I am responsible for the charges to return to Netgear a defective piece of equipment that only lasted 3 weeks. I even purchased the extended warranty on the purchase which apparently doesn't help the buyer. Just passing along a disappointing customer experience.   

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

If the extended warranty was purchased from Best Buy, maybe you can return it to Best Buy for exchange?

Message 2 of 8
RobertV1966
Tutor

Hi CrimpOn,

The extended warranty for the equipment was purchased through Netgear. If I had purchased the extended warranty through Best Buy, I could have simply returned it to the store for an exchange. It would have been much easier doing it that way. Lesson learned here.

Message 3 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

@RobertV1966 wrote:

Hello,

This is more of a buyer beware issue rather than a problem that can be solved using other customer experiences. I purchase an Orbi Router/ Satellite package from Best Buy on January 28, 2019. Approximately 3 weeks into owning the new setup, the satellite disconnected from the router. I attempted numerous times to reconnect the satellite with the router with no success. Thinking I would have to perform a new setup to get this to work, I postponed this until I had some spare time (since the router still worked). Today (3/10/19) I discovered that this is a hardware issue with the satellite after I worked with their technical support team for apprimately 30 minutes. I was disappointed to learn learn that I am responsible for the charges to return to Netgear a defective piece of equipment that only lasted 3 weeks. I even purchased the extended warranty on the purchase which apparently doesn't help the buyer. Just passing along a disappointing customer experience.   

I would be interested to know what kind of hardware failure you think you have...  And please claify you worked with Best Buy technical support or NG technical support for 30 minutes to determine it had failed?

Message 4 of 8
RobertV1966
Tutor

Hello Chuck_M

The tech support I received was through Netgear. This was part of the 90 day support that a buyer receives when purchasing their equipment. I could not return the equipment to Best Buy because it exceeded their 14 day return policy. The satellite will not connect to the router. I am unable to get any colored lights to appear on the top of the satellite and resetting the satellite does not produce an amber colored light to appear above the power button like it is supposed to do when a reset is performed. Per the instruction of the tech support person, I directly connected the satellite to the router using the ethernet connection and the satellite was never recognized. The NG tech support person is the one that told me it was a hardware issue. I followed all NG tech support instruction.

Message 5 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Good deal, just wanted to ensure it wasnt the Best Buy guy who helped you.  Sorry to hear that failed on you.

Message 6 of 8
Lobby1987
Aspirant

Interestingly enough, I had exactly the same issue as yourself last week with my 3 month old RBS50. The satellite became completely unresponsive, no lights on top etc. I eventually completed an RMA with Netgear support, which cost £11 to return the item. 

The replacement was sent out swiftly though. However, the RBS50 came on a different firmware to the RBR50, which produced multiple issues establshing a stable connection between the satellite and router. Eventually I was able to log directly in to the satellite and update the firmware. It has now been stable for a few days. 

Message 7 of 8
RobertV1966
Tutor

Hello Lobby1987,

Thanks for the information regarding your recent experience. I'll keep it mind when I get my replacement.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7