Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwired Satellites slower

blamman
Apprentice

Hardwired Satellites slower

Hi I have an RBR50 with two satellites. WMM, Beamforming and Mu-Mimo are all enabled and daisy chain disabled. My fiber connection is 300/300 Mbps.

I have my satellites wired with a TP-Link TL-SG105. My laptop and and phone have no problem hitting around the 300 Mbps when wirelessly connected to the router running a speedtest to the internet.

When I am connected to the hardwired satellite with these devices I am only getting around 93 Mbps. 

When I remove the hardwire and the satellite is on 5GHz my devices will go up over 200 Mbps.

I assume the slowness is from the TP-Link TL-SG105.

I have seen that the GS-105/108 v4 are good to get. Also I see the v5 is out and not sure if it works as well.

Do I just order a gs-105 or 108 off amazon as it should be v4 or do I need to order from somewhere else. It seems to be cheaper on amazon. How can you tell if they are version 4. 

Or should I order a D-Link DGS-105/108.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
blamman
Apprentice

Re: Hardwired Satellites slower

It looks like it was the tp link switch. I put an old router in its place with wifi off and speeds are where they should be.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@blamman wrote:

I assume the slowness is from the TP-Link TL-SG105.

I suspect the issue is not the TP-Link switch.  It is more likely that the ethernet wiring is limiting the connection to 100mb.  Th e most frequent cause is incorrect termination of the RJ45 connections in the wall jacks. 

One way to double check the results is to temporarily connect the satellites to the switch using ethernet patch cables, rather than in-house wiring.  (Amazon sells 100ft. ethernet cables for under $20US).

Message 2 of 7
blamman
Apprentice

Thank you. I will test out when I can. All of the cat 6  pass thru cables I crimped around 8 months ago and used a wire tester. I know when I hooked up my laptop onto one of the cables going to the satellite. it did negotiate 1 gig.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Test the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR with out any switch in between. Speed should be to spec in this condiguration as well. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@blamman wrote:

Thank you. I will test out when I can. All of the cat 6  pass thru cables I crimped around 8 months ago and used a wire tester. I know when I hooked up my laptop onto one of the cables going to the satellite. it did negotiate 1 gig.

This is an area where Netgear provides tools on the router that are not available on satellites.  On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab home page, the blue box "Show Statistics" reports the WAN, LAN, and WiFi connection rates.  1000M/Full indicates a gigabit connection. 100M/Full reports Fast Ethernet.  For example, if the router is connected to a gigabit switch on LAN port 1 and it reports 1000M/Full, then that one link (router to switch) is running at gigabit.  Alas, there is not a similar report from the satellite.  All it takes is one link in the chain failing to negotiate a gigabit link and bandwidth on the entire pathway is limited to that smaller value.  (We may have an 8 lane freeway in Pasadena and another 8 lane freeway in Oakland, but if the highway drops to two lanes out in the country, the total throughput will be two lane.)

Without a report from the satellite, there are two ways to check the cable pathway between router and satellite:

• Move the satellite (temporarily) to the router and connect them with a good patch cable
    The link should report 1000M/Full.
  • Bypass the entire cable pathway with a good (long) patch cable.
    If this also tests 1000M/Full, then something is wrong with the pathway.

Cable testers affordable to consumers can verify that the copper wires are physically connected, but not that the terminations and physical cable meet specifications.  When we had an entire campus wired, the installers had to submit reports showing that each cable passed the requirements (and also the physical length of each cable).  Testers that can do this are many hundreds (or thousands) of dollars.  (See Fluke, for example: https://www.fluke.com/en-us/products/network-cable-testers/copper )

Message 5 of 7
blamman
Apprentice

It looks like it was the tp link switch. I put an old router in its place with wifi off and speeds are where they should be.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7