Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardwired download speed slow through Orbi, fast to computer

txbdan
Aspirant

Hardwired download speed slow through Orbi, fast to computer

Hi all,

I have a new Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) and i'm finding that the wired download speeds are slow. I have gigabit FIOS.

• Hardwire FIOS ONT directly to 2018 Mac mini using two cat5E cables coupled together: 880/935mbps using speedtest.net.  All is good.
  • Hardwire FIOS ONT directly to Orbi using single cat5E cable: 560/925mbps using the built-in speedtest tool. Upload good, download slow.

If i log into the Orbi, advanced, admin, router status, and check the internet port settings, it shows the WAN port as a 1000M/Full so i assume the gigabit link is ok?

I figure maybe the Orbi speedtest tool is slow, but even if i connect a computer to the Orbi Satallite via ethernet cable, i get like 560/700 through the backhaul using speedtest.net on the computer. So i again see a fast upload, but the same "limited" download speed.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 26
txbdan
Aspirant

Also, i just tried connecting my laptop directly to the Orbi using an ethernet cable and ran speedtest.net. The results were like 475/475. I used the laptop's gigabit dock so it should be fast, but its sort of old so who knows. I did confirm a 1000M/full link in the Orbi admin panel. I should prob go test it directly to the FIOS ONT to see how fast it can go.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem/ONT Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem/ONT for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem/ONT, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I suggest trying option #3 first...

Message 3 of 26
txbdan
Aspirant

To clarify, the FIOS ONT is not a wifi router. It's simple a "modem". Fiber goes in/out, RJ45 ethernet goes in/out. No wifi or router.

None of the testing I described above is using wifi.

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR, setup from scratch with a wired PC. Do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter, Access Controls or IPv6 on the RBR. Set a different SSID name temporarily to prevent any wireless from connecting. Just the wired PC and the RBR. Do speeds improve any at this point? 

Message 5 of 26
alstsmith
Apprentice

Hi there,

There seems to be an issue with Orbi handling 1Gbps connections. Netgear support are aware and are supposed to be escalating.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-used-as-Gateway-Slower-than-1GB-Connection/td-p/1698170/p...

Message 6 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know the results of the reset and test suggestion...

@txbdan wrote:

To clarify, the FIOS ONT is not a wifi router. It's simple a "modem". Fiber goes in/out, RJ45 ethernet goes in/out. No wifi or router.

None of the testing I described above is using wifi.

Message 7 of 26
txbdan
Aspirant

Wow, that link suggesting the Orbi hardware can't handle gigabit is ominous. If that's the case i'll return this.

I haven't tried resetting the Orbi yet, but considering its practically new i'm not sure what that'd accomplish. I will try when the family can spare some down time. Hopefully tomorrow.  I'm not using any Traffic Manager or Access Controls. I haven't tweaked anything except the wifi SSID name for the most part.

How actively does Netgear monitor these forums? Is there a better way to get their attention through a support ticket or something?

Thanks!

Dan

Message 8 of 26
alstsmith
Apprentice

Netgear do monitor. There's little point in resetting. If your device is less than 90 days old you can open a support ticket directly on their support site.

Out of interest, do you connect via PPPoE?

Message 9 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Other have been able to get 900Mb on there systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

I believe pppoe maybe a cause...

@txbdan wrote:

Wow, that link suggesting the Orbi hardware can't handle gigabit is ominous. If that's the case i'll return this.

I haven't tried resetting the Orbi yet, but considering its practically new i'm not sure what that'd accomplish. I will try when the family can spare some down time. Hopefully tomorrow.  I'm not using any Traffic Manager or Access Controls. I haven't tweaked anything except the wifi SSID name for the most part.

How actively does Netgear monitor these forums? Is there a better way to get their attention through a support ticket or something?

Thanks!

Dan

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW availalble. I would review this to see if it's something to try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

Message 11 of 26
txbdan
Aspirant

I updated to the latest firmware and also tried some various MTU settings suggested by support. No luck so far.

Next time i have a minute i'll factory reset the Orbi and run setup with a computer instead of using the app.

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Please let us know how it goes. 

@txbdan wrote:

I updated to the latest firmware and also tried some various MTU settings suggested by support. No luck so far.

Next time i have a minute i'll factory reset the Orbi and run setup with a computer instead of using the app.

Message 13 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

Has this been resolved? 

I also have FIOS and the max connection I can get with orbi seems to be 550ish down and 950 up...if I bypass orbi get a consistent 900/900. 

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have?

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Stea1th wrote:

Has this been resolved? 

I also have FIOS and the max connection I can get with orbi seems to be 550ish down and 950 up...if I bypass orbi get a consistent 900/900. 

Message 15 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

Rbr 50
Firmware v2.3.5.30

It’s connected to the Verizon ONT directly via cat 6

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP ONT the NG router is connected too? Any built in router here or just ONT to ethernet connection with any external router? 

Were seeing some issues with 50 series Orbi systems and getting WAN to LAN speeds is not achieving anything near 900Mbps:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@Stea1th wrote:
Rbr 50
Firmware v2.3.5.30

It’s connected to the Verizon ONT directly via cat 6

Message 17 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

I have to look at the ONT when I get home and get that info but it’s just the FIOS ONT (modem) right to the Orbi which acting as the router
Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, any router built in to the ONT can be a factor as well. 

If it does happen to have a built in router, configure the RBR50 for AP mode then speed test. You should see near 900Mbps. 

I as others have seen this problem, seems that there is a hardware accelleration with in the FW that is not getting enabled or a problem in this area that seems to cause the RBR50 series to not see 900Mbps on the Wan to Lan speed test. 

@Blanca_O 

I would file a support ticket and inform NG of what your seeing:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 19 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

The ont doesn’t have routing capability, I don’t even think I have the ability to even log in and change any sort of settings for it.

I don’t get why my upload is fine but my download is only 1/2 of the speed. (Gigabit)
Message 20 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

Just for the record, this is somewhat new of it happening. I’ve had gigabit fios for over a year now and my speeds were fine, I’m not exactly sure when this started to happen but my download speed to to be around 800-900. One of the updates have seemed to caused this, yea I’ve tried resetting and starting from scratch and using a pc to setup the Orbi.
Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Happen to know what version of FW you had been using when you saw good speeds with the RBR50? There a time frame when you now you had good speeds on the down? 

@Stea1th wrote:
Just for the record, this is somewhat new of it happening. I’ve had gigabit fios for over a year now and my speeds were fine, I’m not exactly sure when this started to happen but my download speed to to be around 800-900. One of the updates have seemed to caused this, yea I’ve tried resetting and starting from scratch and using a pc to setup the Orbi.

Message 22 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

Wish I could tell you, it was probably 2-3 updates ago
Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Happen to know a time frame if when you know it worked? Months? last year? 

Well, you could downgrade to v44 as this is a few versions back. Not sure if you can get v2.2.1.210 orv2.1.4.16 back on. 

Message 24 of 26
Stea1th
Aspirant

Maybe 3-4 months? Might be longer? 

I don't typically run speed tests, and the only reason i noticed was before i upgraded to cat6 i wanted to see what the speed was to get a baseline to see if it even made a difference. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7