Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwiring/Adding Satellites to Orbi system, Assigning IP address to NanoBeam on Network

InMountains
Guide

Hardwiring/Adding Satellites to Orbi system, Assigning IP address to NanoBeam on Network

I have a couple of quick questions.  Just set up my Orbi AC3000 with one satellite. Was amazing seamless and easy using the Orbi app. Wallked me through it (didn't need to have watched those set up videos on YouTube, ha ha).

Quick questions:

The satellite is currently connected via the wifi. When an ethernet cable arrives I am going to connect via the cable. Any tricks to connecting/ set up, or will the app just re-connect seamlessly?  What of adding a second satellite also connected via ethernet?

I've noticed that standing next to the satellite using wifi on my laptop, my speed was ever so slightly slower than standing in this same spot using just my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station before setting up the Orbi (AE disconnected obviously once the Orbi was set up). Both routers (AE and Orbi) in the same spot, one floor just below the satellite where I tested. Is this normal? I expected a slight speed boost.  Speed was much superior with the Orbi at a more remote spot on the second floor where I had a weak signal before (so the Orbi is serving its purpose).

And last, I will be setting up a pair of Unifi NanoBeams to get to a nearby building. I will set it up to use DHCP. However, I've seen that it is a good idea to have the router (Orbi) assign a static IP address to each NanoBeam (that is, each NanoBeam has its own IP address which remains constant), simply so I can use the IP address to access the managemt of each NanoBeam antenna through my browser (the IP address is the url for management purposes).   Is this easy to do via the Orbi app?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Hardwiring/Adding Satellites to Orbi system, Assigning IP address to NanoBeam on Network

The RBS should connect seamlessly via ethernet wire if the RBS are already wirelessly connected.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I would turn OFF the apple router while you setup the Orbi and get it configured well. 

Message 2 of 8
InMountains
Guide

Re: Hardwiring/Adding Satellites to Orbi system, Assigning IP address to NanoBeam on Network

Thank you. Great to know about the set up (wiring the current satellite) and adding a new wired satellite (assume it is equally seamless).

Yes, the AE Base Station was disconnected and powered down before the connecting and set up of the Orbi system. The router and satellite are probably 10 feet away, through ceiling/floor. Old house (1820) so likely no interfering building material between the units. Assuming when I hardwire the satellite speeds will increase (the difference was  very modest, and all is so fast here, so not really an issue... was just curious). Speed connection to a more remote spot (reason for the Orbi system was outstanding, much improved).

Will wait for response on assigning the IP address. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the nano has an option to input a static IP address, then use this. 

I would change the IP address pool on your RBR to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then you can add static IP addressed devices to either side of this pool. Static IP addresses can't be with in the pool. 

Message 4 of 8
InMountains
Guide

Figured out how to sign into the Orbi web management (browser interface), and on page 24 of the manual, it instructs how to "reserve" an IP address for a device in the advanced settings. Pretty straight forward. I would assign IP addresses to both the NanoBeam sending and receiving units, just to use those addresses as the url to manage each of them (exaclty like entering the IP address of the Orbi router to manage it). 

I use DHCP for my internet connection... seems irrelevant to the question I asked though. 

Not sure exactly what: "I would change the IP address pool on your RBR to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then you can add static IP addressed devices to either side of this pool. Static IP addresses can't be with in the pool."  means. I'm a wee bit slow... ha ha. Can you explain? Isn't there a default IP address on all Orbi routers? Is changing that what you are recommending? 

Also the web manager interface for the Orbi has an "Add Satellite" radio button. Very handy.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can add a IP address reservation for the nano beam vs static. 

I prefer to set static on some devices so that if the router goes down, you can still access some of these devices directly if needed. 

You can make changes to IP addressing using the RBR web page under LAN Setup. 

Yes its handing to add a RBS with a laptop connected for mobile use. 

Message 6 of 8
InMountains
Guide

Is setting a static IP different than reserving an IP? I'll have to look at the manual and the RBR browser manager interface again.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Different. Static IPs are always set ON devices. IP Reservations are set on the router. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7