Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Having issues with RBK30 satellite

atomarchio
Tutor

Having issues with RBK30 satellite

I bought the Orbi about a year ago. Seemed to work fine until I bought a google mini home hub for 1st floor bedroom.

I am noticing that Google mini disconnects from network often.  Trying to place the satellite in area closer to bedroom.

However, when I go to login page I keep seeing backhaul status and then it goes back to config sync.  I am wondering if the satellite keeps disconnecting from network.

Is there another product I can buy to resolve this?  Should I purchase a 2nd satellite for the specific room (bedroom) where the google mini can't connect?

Or should I replace the satellite with the larger one?

Please help.  Thanks.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@atomarchio wrote:

I bought the Orbi about a year ago. Seemed to work fine until I bought a google mini home hub for 1st floor bedroom.

I am noticing that Google mini disconnects from network often.  Trying to place the satellite in area closer to bedroom.

However, when I go to login page I keep seeing backhaul status and then it goes back to config sync.  I am wondering if the satellite keeps disconnecting from network.

Is there another product I can buy to resolve this?  Should I purchase a 2nd satellite for the specific room (bedroom) where the google mini can't connect?

Or should I replace the satellite with the larger one?

Please help.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 6
atomarchio
Tutor

The firmware is V2.2.1.210.  Motorola Surfboard 6141

home almost 4500 sq ft.  the distance between router and satellite is more than 30' I would guess probably closer to 50'.

However, I can't move satellite move closer to router because wifi coverage decreases in my home office which is on other side of house from router.

Would adding a 2nd satellite (in between router and 1st satelllite) resolve the issue?

Here are my channel settings.

2.4G Channel 6

2.4G Mode Up to 192 Mbps

5G Channel 36+40+44(P)+48

5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible.

Message 4 of 6
atomarchio
Tutor

It might be easier to purchase RBS50 and then use that as wired access point in the room instead of the satellite.

Would that work?  Are there any issues doing this with the main Orbi router?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can connect an RBS via wired back haul and use it at the remote location. This would work too. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7