Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Having trouble connecting Canon Pixma MX920 Printer after installing Orbi (RBR50)

lewhnh
Tutor

Having trouble connecting Canon Pixma MX920 Printer after installing Orbi (RBR50)

Hi all and thanks in advance.

I recently replaced my Sitecom router with an Orbi system. I have had no trouble connecting anything but my printer to the new system (phones, laptops, Sonos, Firestick, Apple TV, etc.). The printer simply does not see the wireless network. It sees the 15 other wireless networks that my neighbors are broadcasting, and it can see the hotspot from my phone if I turn it on, but not the one from the Orbi. The Orbi is located in the same position as the Sitecom router was - about 15-20 feet away from the printer. And it is much closer/ obstructed less than any of the neighbors' WAPs.

I've tried rebooting the printer, rebooting the Orbi, and adding a guest SSID (didn't see that one either).

Oh, and I also tried using the WPS feature, but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
lewhnh
Tutor

Re: Having trouble connecting Canon Pixma MX920 Printer after installing Orbi (RBR50)

That did the trick - I changed the region to the US, even though I am in the Nertherlands. 

I'd really rather keep the Euro-region settings since channels 12-14 are less crowded in my area, but I can't find any way to change the printer's settings. But at least the problem is solved and the cord is put away.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Random12
Apprentice

In the advanced wireless options, you could check if beamforming is on and disable it if to, to see if it helps.

Message 2 of 4
lewhnh
Tutor

Thanks Random12.

Implicit Beamforming was not enabled (I had to look that up), so I enabled it to see if that made any difference. Unfortunately, it did not.

I also downloaded a firmware update - had to drag a patch cable across the room. That too was no help.

MU-MINO is not enabled - this appears to be a new tech that my printer (from 2014) would not have so I suspect this is not the issue.

And as I am writing this up I believe that I have found the answer... I brought the printer with me from the US, so it may be configured to only read channels 1-11, while the Orbi is transmitting on Channel 13. 

Message 3 of 4
lewhnh
Tutor

That did the trick - I changed the region to the US, even though I am in the Nertherlands. 

I'd really rather keep the Euro-region settings since channels 12-14 are less crowded in my area, but I can't find any way to change the printer's settings. But at least the problem is solved and the cord is put away.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7